• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF-2 Selection

actually....thats not true. I was recently talking with a JTF recruiter about support trades and you must be MINIMUM QL5 qualified in that trade.
Cheers

TangoHotel said:
  Just wanted to add a little bit here.  Brihard was bang on with his statements, according to the JTF2 recruiting session I went to.
  I asked the same question.  I said, as a logistician, what can I possibly bring to the table as an SF assaulter?  They basically said all of what Brihard said and then commented that at the time....one of the best snipers in JTF2 was actually a navy COOK.  So there ya go
Cheers :cdn:

I will jump on this bandwagon as well. Even the SAS, a recruiting session of whose I attended many moons ago whilst still over the pond, said the same. You can be a jumper, diver, pathfinder NINJA, with umpteen tours in the sandbox blatting away millions of rounds, and if lowly joe steward from the navy has their desired BASE qualities, they will pick joe steward and train him to their standard. Combat arms experience, previous tours/trigger time counts for nowt.

That being said, it can be reasonably assumed that JTF/CSOR would naturally appeal more to those in the combat arms, hence their larger representation in said units.

actually....thats not true. I was recently talking with a JTF recruiter about support trades and you must be MINIMUM QL5 qualified in that trade.

You are incorrect in assuming that there are no combat arms positions for supporters.  As shown on the following link from the JTF2 website, all combat arms trades both ncm and officer can apply to fill support positions.

http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/ic-ci/sps-mps/index-eng.asp

Anyone can apply.  Whether or not they meet the criteria set and then pass all the tests, physical and mental, is the real question. 

One of the first criteria is that you actually have to be in the CF.

All of this has been covered in the numerous pages preceding this one.

If you want to get a JTF 2 Recruiting Poster; SEARCH!  That is one topic I did not merge with these.  If you use SEARCH, you may also find the JTF 2 Motivational Posters in RADIO CHATTER.

just to clarify........and according to your post WOnderbread.  Combat storesman and combat quartermaster are positions available to combat arms, as well as a position of regimental police is available to any trade Cpl/MCpl.
  But my main point was to support them in a trade role, such as RMS..COOK...MSE, you must be minimum QL5 qualifield
  :army:

Bando Commando said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that every member of the Canadian Forces...
is a soldier first...a trade second.

Just sayin'. :)

You are wrong, I am a Sailor first, MARS officer second.

Just sayin  >:D

So I'm an Airman first,  blah blah blah ?  >:D

Took my JLC at CFB Lahr and that was most definitely not the right answer. ;)

Snakedoc said:
You are wrong, I am a Sailor first, MARS officer second.

Just sayin  >:D

LOL missed you at PSH and during cleaning stations then. ;)

Ex-Dragoon said:
LOL missed you at PSH and during cleaning stations then. ;)

I guess I was just too busy keeping the ship from running aground...sailors do that right?  :p

Hastings said:
So we are to honestly believe that Canada's most elite soldiers were at one point potentially cooking meals and repairing vehicles?
Yup.

Not that there is a thing wrong with any non combat MOC, but wouldn't there be a much higher likelihood of a seasoned combat arms professional making it through the JTF-2 training.
You mean like that CF Dental Officer (LOLZ, a dentist) that just ran across wheverer desert that was, in some 120 mile foot race?

I'm sure lots of people are capable of getting in shape enough to meet the physical requirements, but I just have a hard time accepting that it isn't designed to favour the combat arms trades. 
That's because  you're not forming you're opinion on facts or experience but what YOU think sounds good and makes sense. Big difference.

Couple of quick thoughts:

1. I would expect the majority of JTF2 personnel are of a combat background.

2. Does being able to run 120 miles across a dessert necessarily make a good Special Forces soldier ?

1. I would expect the majority of JTF2 personnel are of a combat background.

I would as well, but I think it's only because the personalities that would one day be attracted to the JTF2 are more likely to join the army in a combat arms trade in the first place.

Baden  Guy said:
2. Does being able to run 120 miles across a dessert necessarily make a good Special Forces soldier ?

I would say that its a good cornerstone for physical fitness, that is probably very difficult to achieve. There's no one piece that will put a stamp on someone's forehead and say "JTF-2 Assaulter material". There will be a lot of traits, some may not be evident in a person's trade choice. I know of a LCIS Tech who became an assaulter, on his second try (had to do the whole selection all over again). I'm sure he brings technical expertise to wherever he is now, which a combat arms soldier may not have.

Baden  Guy said:

No expert on special forces selection but I would be thinking that that type of feat would require quite the level of physical and especially mental endurance, aspects I think would bode well for selection as an assaulter.

Just curious since we're talking about different trades going into JTF-2, are they elementally army?  For example, someone in the navy being selected for JTF-2 would have to switch uniforms to army DEU's?  Or is it 'purple'?  Not sure if anybody on the forums knows the answer to this, I would think the former would be true though.

They are purple just like the whole rest of CANSOF. They wear the tan beret with whichever DEU they fall into.

Now, them wearing DEUs... funny thought.

Honestly fellows, how in depth do we think the combat trades are?

Lets say Infantry -16 weeks of battle school. How much is really imparted on the soldier? I'm not shit talking the infantry but on average the combat arms back round isn't that awe inspiring in the greater scheme of things. I mean if someone has their recce course, sniper course, pathfinder course ya sure that's great but how many people really get those courses then apply?
Maturity, physical and mental endurance, attitude and drive seem (to me anyways) more important that having learned section and platoon attacks.

Combat arms probably DO have an advantage but not to the degree I think some of the posters here feel it does. Hell I know of a handful of combat arms types that would rather sit at home and drink and play call of duty than deploy (and in fact tried to get OUT of deploying).

I'd take a 35 year old clerk/dentist/cook who can hump 120 miles through a desert (coming in 1st no less) over a 20 year old infantry guy any day.

Snakedoc said:
Just curious since we're talking about different trades going into JTF-2, are they elementally army?  For example, someone in the navy being selected for JTF-2 would have to switch uniforms to army DEU's?  Or is it 'purple'?  Not sure if anybody on the forums knows the answer to this, I would think the former would be true though.
They remain whatever element they originally belong to and still remain that trade. So a Navy pers in the JTF retains his navel DEU's and is addressed by his navel rank.

Run away gun said:
They are purple just like the whole rest of CANSOF. They wear the tan beret with whichever DEU they fall into.

Now, them wearing DEUs... funny thought.

Interesting, is there anything to identify the non-beret wearing types in Navy or Air Force DEUs?

Flawed Design said:
Honestly fellows, how in depth do we think the combat trades are?

Lets say Infantry -16 weeks of battle school. How much is really imparted on the soldier? I'm not crap talking the infantry but on average the combat arms back round isn't that awe inspiring in the greater scheme of things. I mean if someone has their recce course, sniper course, pathfinder course ya sure that's great but how many people really get those courses then apply?
Maturity, physical and mental endurance, attitude and drive seem (to me anyways) more important that having learned section and platoon attacks.

Combat arms probably DO have an advantage but not to the degree I think some of the posters here feel it does. Hell I know of a handful of combat arms types that would rather sit at home and drink and play call of duty than deploy (and in fact tried to get OUT of deploying).

I'd take a 35 year old clerk/dentist/cook who can hump 120 miles through a desert (coming in 1st no less) over a 20 year old infantry guy any day.

Interesting topic.

Immediately following the Falklands War the SAS sent their training staff down to Brecon to watch us put our Parachute Regiment recruits through live fire section and platoon attacks. They realized that, during the war, they were sending 'non-combat arms' types on typical infantry type missions without alot of preparation, and wanted to upgrade their training program.

I found this interesting because it is well documented that the SAS had excelled at this type of fighting in the various COIN campaigns in Dhofar, Aden, Borneo etc. It seems that the strong focus on counter-terrorism operations had, however, skewed their training plans that way.

A black balaclava and big biceps do not necessarily qualify you for 'gutter fighting', as Maj Chris Keeble of 2 PARA so aptly described infantry combat.

Back