• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John G Hillier (Gumby) from Fortune NF

Rhibwolf

Inactive
Reaction score
I did basic with a fellow from the Burin Peninsula back in summer 85.  He was by far the funniest fellow Ive ever met, and with his accent, nearly indecipherable.  The MCpl called him Gumby.  I think he was going Tanks. I always wondered what happened to him after Cornwallis.  I had nearly forgotten about him, but he new CDS's ascension to power reminded me of the name....

well.... the CDS having enrolled in 1973, graduated from MUN of Newfoundland in 1975 with a BSC. After completing his armour officer classification training, he joined his first regiment, the 8th Canadian Hussars... so if you joined in 85, it certainly ain't the same guy..... but he could be a cousin or brother - I guess.

I think what he was getting at was that always hearing the name Hillier reminded him of John Hillier.

I was in his troop in Petawawa back in '89 (Regimental Transport) and he was indeed a) very funny, and b) nearly indecipherable. I don't know what ever came of him (I think he OT'ed to some Air Force trade), but that name sure does bring back memories.

On a somewhat related note, and proof that either a) it's a small world, or b) that there are a HELL of a lotta Newfoundlanders in the military named Hillier (we already know that there is a lotta Newfs in the military), I had a guy in my troop in Edmonton only a few years back (a young guy) who claimed to be some relation (cousin, as I recall) of Gen Hillier (he was the CLS at the time, I believe).

Al

hehe...... yeah - lots of Newfs in the CF
good troops - the lot of them

Back in the early 70s, knew something like 5 John Dillons who were from the Rock so you had to attach a monicker to each one.... my favorite was "Dumb Dillon". Had him out on the town in Montreal - he got hit by a car. In the Golan, while working from "camp Roofless" - backed up a deuce and damaged an Israeli water point...
and again - you really couldn't understand a word he was saying :)

Geo, thanks for both posts, they were both amusing! 
Allan, thanks for the insights of "Gumby's" possible whereabouts.  I do wonder, however, whether CDS and Gumby are related?  That would be a hoot.  I dont recall him mentioning any family members joining up, but that said, about the only thing i remember is the jokes.  The MCpl made him tell a joke each and every time he saw him, and John never let him (or us) down.  Its a shame I lost track of him after that course.  Email didnt exist, and who the hell had time to write during battle school!  Just completely lost track, I guess.

I know a John Hillier in Cold Lake.  He recently retired as a WO in the WFE trade.  Sound familliar?  I think he mentioned once that the CDS was a second cousin or something like that.  I don't know if it's the same guy but this one can talk the ears off a rabbit.

Hey, was that 6 Pl, I was in Cornwallis in 1985 and had a John Hillier (Gumby) in the same Pl, great guy I ran into him in Cold Lake in I think around 2003.

Ammogod, yes, Suicide Six, 2 Squad under MCpl Tim G.
PM inbound.

I am good friends with John Hillier. He is retired and now works with the City of Cold Lake. He is a very funny guy but if you want to talk in any conversation with him, you have to cut in as most Newfs...they do not take a breath! ;)

Hogg....
sure they do...you just have to get their attention

Back