• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jeffrey Deslisle-former RCN, convicted of spying

Military conducts security sweep at naval base after alleged spy affair
steven chase , oliver moore  AND and tamara baluja
OTTAWA, HALIFAX AND TORONTO— Globe and Mail Update
Published Monday, Jan. 23, 2012
Article Link

The Canadian military has evacuated staff from the ultra-secure naval nerve centre in Halifax where a sailor accused of espionage was working before his arrest.

The Department of National Defence said authorities are conducting a security sweep of HMCS Trinity to see whether this confidential communication centre has been compromised.

Sub-Lieutenant Jeffrey Paul Delisle was charged January 16 under Canada’s Security of Information Act and faces the possibility of life in prison if convicted.

Experts are scanning Trinity, a naval communications and surveillance centre, for evidence of espionage or mechanisms designed to leak information to outsiders.

“The place is being investigated .... [for] software, hardware, bugs, the works,” a military source said.

Trinity staff have been temporarily moved a few kilometres.

“As part of a normal and prudent business contingency plan, personnel belonging to elements of HMCS Trinity have been relocated to 12 Wing Shearwater for an undetermined period of time as a security precaution,” Captain Karina Holder, spokeswoman for the military’s Provost Marshal, who commands the military police, said.

The military declined to say how many people work at Trinity, a unit that gathers and analyzes information for warships. It receives intelligence collected by unmanned aerial drones operated from vessels. And perhaps most critically in the eyes of Canada's international partners, it receives confidential defence information from allies.
More on link

They're running Norton.

PMedMoe said:
You don't think that someone with potential financial problems might be a bit more at risk to sell secrets?

IIRC, the 291ers got their security clearances lowered temporarily if they had financial issues.

When someone declares bankrupcy, all their debt is erased for the most part, therefore solving the issues.  The real problem cases are the ones who do not declare bankrupcy that should.  They dont want the stigma that goes with it, and are desperate to try and avoid it and continue to struggle to keep their heads above water.  Those are the ones that can be "compromised" by comrade Ivan!

ltmaverick25 said:
When someone declares bankrupcy, all their debt is erased for the most part, therefore solving the issues. 

Not exactly. Depending on your surplus you still need to pay certain things. For example a friend of mine declared bankruptcy and thought he'd be scott free.  He still needed to pay $900 to whatever.

Grimaldus said:
Not exactly. Depending on your surplus you still need to pay certain things. For example a friend of mine declared bankruptcy and thought he'd be scott free.  He still needed to pay $900 to whatever.

I think that's why ltmaverick25 said "for the most part".  ;)

Between filing and discharge of the bankruptcy, if you have surplus income (income above a certain level), you pay the trustee a monthly amount which goes to the creditors.

Must be the Russian posting season.....
Another Russian diplomat, a defence attaché with the rank of colonel, is leaving Canada in a departure that his embassy says is a routine posting change – one under way in the midst of a spy scandal that’s rocked the Canadian military.

Colonel Sergey Zhukov, the defence attaché for the Russian government in Ottawa, has been accredited as a foreign representative with the embassy in Canada for years.

A Russian embassy official described the move back to Moscow as a “normal rotation” and referred further questions to Canada’s Department of Foreign Affairs ....
Globe & Mail, 25 Jan 12

milnews.ca said:
Must be the Russian posting season.....Globe & Mail, 25 Jan 12

Now, if this were the Stalin Years, it could mean a posting to a location in a very frigid Gulag....... or perhaps an early death by "heart attack"....... or perhaps a fall from a sixth floor window.

Pretty prominent name; I wonder if he's related to Georgy Konstantinovich?

Occam said:
I think that's why ltmaverick25 said "for the most part".  ;)

Ahh, just seemed like he made it sound like a get out of jail free card.

I'm not that upset by the whole thing.  We do it to them they do it to us.  I'm out of my lane obviously but it seems like a big game. He was stupid and got caught so hammer him with the maximum punishment, set something up to protect his kids and wife from reprisals and reissue his kit to new recruits.

Burn his kit. I wouldn't want it. It's got traitor cooties. Bad enough we reuse weapons from soldiers who died in battle.  This is worse.

So Nemo888, even without a fair trial, you are declaring him guilty. 

Should you be charged someday, shall we all automatically deem you guilty and have cooties?  ;D

Grimaldus said:
Ahh, just seemed like he made it sound like a get out of jail free card.

That is a good point:  CLARITY

If a person is communicating, especially in some jobs, particularly in the CF, lack of clarity could cause the loss of lives. 

Nemo888 said:
Burn his kit. I wouldn't want it. It's got traitor cooties. Bad enough we reuse weapons from soldiers who died in battle.  This is worse.
A reminder:  The Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and Canada's constitution, guarantees the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Nemo888 said:
Bad enough we reuse weapons from soldiers who died in battle.  This is worse.

While recycling this navy dudes underwear may be different (if found guilty of course)  I can't think of a higher honour than carrying the weapon of a fallen brother or sister into battle.

The latest from the Russian Ambassador:  Wait for it....
Russian Ambassador Georgiy Mamedov says Moscow has a deal with the Canadian government to "keep quiet" about his country's involvement in the case of a naval intelligence officer accused of spying. Sub-Lt. Jeffrey Delisle is in custody on charges of passing secret military information to a foreign entity. CTV has reported Delisle passed on secrets to the Russians and Canada retaliated by expelling several Russian diplomats. "I have a deal with your people to keep quiet," Mamedov told CTV during a brief conversation at a Russian embassy event. "But after this seal of silence is lifted, I will tell you and you will be very red-faced." Asked directly if Delisle was spying for the Russians, Mamedov said: "I don't know because I am not the guy who controls Humint (human intelligence). But I can tell you what you said about some people in my embassy are dead wrong." CTV reported that six Russian diplomats have left Canada since Delisle was arrested in mid-January, including two military attachés. Sources say some of those diplomats were asked to leave as a result of the spy scandal. Mamedov declined to say which of the six Russians were asked to leave by the Canadian government. "I am not at liberty to discuss because I don't want to influence your judicial process," he said ....
CTV.ca, 9 Feb 12

If all found to be true, money might not have been the only motivator, perhaps love (or assumed love) or blackmail. Know the Russians it could have been a mix of all 3. It might have also been a "god complex" where the spy is groomed into the role by careful stroking their ego and addicted to the thrill of breaking all the rules without being caught.

Is it wrong that I was amused to see his job up on REO two days after this broke?

Back