• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jeffrey Deslisle-former RCN, convicted of spying

The Globe and Mail has published a photo of SLt Delisle:

web-delisle-yea_1364822cl-8.jpg

SLt Paul Delisle
Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/military-releases-first-photo-of-officer-accused-of-espionage/article2308592/

The news story says the photo is from the RMC yearbook; it says Delisle graduated from RMC (presumably UTPNCM) in 2009 with a degree in political science.

Media is now mining internet forums for blurbs to put into stories.

I remind everyone again to watch what they say and who they PM with.

Scott

Staff

Scott said:

You know you are grasping at straws to make your article when....

I'm not so concerned with them grabbing quotes from here or elsewhere...but I know for a fact that some of them lack the scruples to post publicly asking for info - they'll stoop to sending mass PMs out to members, and that ain't right and it ain't tolerated.

That's got nothing to do with the rule abiding and respectful members of the media we have here.

And already I can literally hear the salivating of certain columnists who profess to be "in the know". I imagine one or two might be upset at the timing of this news, as their article was already gone to edits and prepped for release.

57Chevy said:
I guess it's safe to say bye-bye to the CD.

You don't "lose" a CD.  You can have your clasp deferred as of the day of the charge (IF found guilty).  For example, a memberwas charged with something on 1 Jan 2010 and was due for his CD clasp in 2014, upon being found guilty of said offence, his clasp is now to be given to him in 2018, 8 years after the offence occured.

Yes but medals have been relinquished in the past, and if found guilty could be the case.

Robert0288 said:
Scott said:
Agreed - according to one story, this is how media see the role of int via forums :
.... 3 Intelligence Company focuses on information gathering and its staff are trained to be proficient in information technology and mapping. Members are tasked with providing guidance to help their superiors at home or abroad, some online reports suggest ....
Yup, this certainly gives the public a truly textured feel for the work >>eyeroll<<
Scott said:
I remind everyone again to watch what they say and who they PM with.

Scott

Staff
Good advice, this - even when there's NOT a hot story being chased.

Hey, it's been shotgun or gotcha reporting for some of them for a while now.

Like I said, I can't wait for certain columnists to get their teeth sunk into this.

If anyone has received unsolicited PMs from someone they suspect is working for the media please report it to the Staff immediately.

Thanks

jollyjacktar said:
Yes, yes.  That's who I meant, "The Press Corps",  CBC in particular.  ;D

CBC = Communist  Broadcasting Corporation

Regards Comrade,
TN

Robert0288 said:
Such as his going bankrupt years ago?  WTF does that have to do with the issue today?  I was shaking my head in dismay/disgust at this sort of BS reporting.

Lack of official info being released equals a quick read of whatever spy novel is hanging around - voila - story material.

jollyjacktar said:
Such as his going bankrupt years ago?  WTF does that have to do with the issue today?

You don't think that someone with potential financial problems might be a bit more at risk to sell secrets?

IIRC, the 291ers got their security clearances lowered temporarily if they had financial issues.

PMedMoe said:
You don't think that someone with potential financial problems might be a bit more at risk to sell secrets?

IIRC, the 291ers got their security clearances lowered temporarily if they had financial issues.
That is always a possibility, but then everyone has an Achilles heel.  Still, his bankruptcy happened many years before this incident.  They are digging up any dirt they can find.  I know that is their job, but it's hack reporting.

I've been put through the financial checks a couple of times for different projects, one of which was AECL, which is kind of a no-brainer.

Don't kid yourself, finances is likely one of the easiest compelling reasons for someone to slip up. Not that this makes it right...

jollyjacktar said:
That is always a possibility, but then everyone has an Achilles heel.  Still, his bankruptcy happened many years before this incident.  They are digging up any dirt they can find.  I know that is their job, but it's hack reporting.

The problem is that the money problems didn't end there.  See reply #78 in this thread.

PMedMoe said:

....and that is only one of many reasons that a "Change of Circumstances" may occur. 

The CF is much more thorough in granting a Clearance than any other Dept of Government, and rightfully so. 

Back