• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jeffrey Deslisle-former RCN, convicted of spying

Scott said:
I've been put through the financial checks a couple of times for different projects, one of which was AECL, which is kind of a no-brainer.

Don't kid yourself, finances is likely one of the easiest compelling reasons for someone to slip up. Not that this makes it right...
Certainly, usually these cases are for $$$$.  And if that all does come to pass, I'll not say "Wow, I never saw it coming".  But I absolutely despise hack reporting, and this smacks of it.

But it's an easy thing to run off of.

George is also right...I never faced "change of circumstance" when I went through my breakup and subsequent financial issues. Then again, I wasn't doing my job full time so maybe the risk was deemed lesser than normal...or they didn't care...hell, I could have used a trap from a Babushka at about that time!

Scott said:
...hell, I could have used a trap from a Babushka at about that time!

Or even better, her Devushka.  :)

PMedMoe said:
You don't think that someone with potential financial problems might be a bit more at risk to sell secrets?

IIRC, the 291ers got their security clearances lowered temporarily if they had financial issues.

They sure did. 

Alleged spy Jeffrey Delisle fed misinformation to fool Russians: source
Postmedia News  Jan 20, 2012
Article Link

By Ian MacLeod

OTTAWA — Authorities fed an alleged and unwitting Canadian naval spy fabricated information as part of a classic “sour milk” counter-intelligence ploy to taint the credibility of secrets the man is suspected of passing to Russia, Postmedia News has learned.

“This was done by the book — sour the milk so that you confuse the other side,” Michel Juneau-Katsuya, a former spy service counter-intelligence officer with sources close to the Halifax case, revealed in an interview Friday.

Once naval officials suspected there was a spy in their midst, deliberately flawed information was baited and designed to eventually be discovered by its foreign recipients, casting doubt the usefulness of any other classified data related to the case.
More on link

GAP said:
Article Link

By Ian MacLeod

OTTAWA — Authorities fed an alleged and unwitting Canadian naval spy fabricated information as part of a classic “sour milk” counter-intelligence ploy to taint the credibility of secrets the man is suspected of passing to Russia, Postmedia News has learned.

“This was done by the book — sour the milk so that you confuse the other side,” Michel Juneau-Katsuya, a former spy service counter-intelligence officer with sources close to the Halifax case, revealed in an interview Friday.

Once naval officials suspected there was a spy in their midst, deliberately flawed information was baited and designed to eventually be discovered by its foreign recipients, casting doubt the usefulness of any other classified data related to the case.
More on link

From the same article:

Military and government officials are saying little about the case ...

And they are setting a good example by so doing.

GAP said:
Article Link
Or then again, did they?  Ah, that wilderness of mirrors.....  ;)

....where saying misinformation being planted IS the misinformation, which was more misinformation because of the previous DISinformation that lead to the discovery of the misinformation being passed, in an effort to detect disinformation on the misinformation that started it all in the first place!!! 

Said in British accent:  "Its really quite simple, by jove" 

Eye In The Sky said:
....where saying misinformation being planted IS the misinformation, which was more misinformation because of the previous DISinformation that lead to the discovery of the misinformation being passed, in an effort to detect disinformation on the misinformation that started it all in the first place!!! 

Said in British accent:  "Its really quite simple, by jove"
ZACKLY!

Nemo888 said:
Note;
Do not google image search Devushka at work.

This thread is meant as a resource to all kinds! :nod:

Slight change of topic. Last night on CBC the thought was dropped that Delisle may be given a plea bargain in order to learn what and how information was passed.

Baden  Guy said:
Slight change of topic. Last night on CBC the thought was dropped that Delisle may be given a plea bargain in order to learn what and how information was passed.

You compile what he had access to and assume all of it compromised....

I think what they are saying is "plea bargain if he exposes the network and how it worked".

PMedMoe said:
You don't think that someone with potential financial problems might be a bit more at risk to sell secrets?

IIRC, the 291ers got their security clearances lowered temporarily if they had financial issues.

I think declaring bankruptcy is only held against someone for five years. After five years, if you have kept yourself on the up-and-up, your record is restored.

Retired AF Guy said:
I think declaring bankruptcy is only held against someone for five years. After five years, if you have kept yourself on the up-and-up, your record is restored.

Maybe with the banks.  I'd think the CF might take a different view.

Retired AF Guy said:

The bankruptcy itself is discharged (normally) in nine months.  The record of it remains on your credit file for six years.  You're free to apply for credit after the bankruptcy is discharged, although it's difficult (but not impossible) to get it.  Your record doesn't get "restored" at the end of the six years, but it is wiped of any creditor records associated with the bankruptcy and the bankruptcy itself wiped from the record.

A bankruptcy, for the most part, doesn't have the negative implications it used to have on your CF career.  Lots of people retain Level III (or higher) clearances after bankruptcy.  You may be asked about it during a clearance upgrade, but my guess is that if you don't raise any red flags with the interviewer, it's not a concern.

From CBC (with my amendment):
Just what a potential spy might have been after and for whom has been the subject of frenzied [media-driven] speculation.
        ::)

39945510150484611626021.jpg

That's brilliant.

Back