• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'It's time to consolidate NDHQ' & 'DND to take-over Nortel Campus' (Merged threads)

I hear that the Kingston penitentiary is available. Sure it might be a bit of a fixer upper but it's secure, close to the water with a great view.  :)

PPCLI Guy said:
Trust me, NDHQ is already a prison.
Like this?
20960.strip.gif

20962.strip.gif

Didn't quite catch the full news report, but I think they said that even with the new campus, DND will still retain Disneyland at 101 Col By Dr?

Is this true? I thought the idea was to consolodate all the various buildings scattered around Ottawa.

The plan was for 101, Startop, LStL, LStL II, NPB and Hotel de Ville to remain, and the rest would be consolidated.

Isn't Hotel de Ville rented space?  I thought it was supposed to be vacated with the open of LStL II.

MCG said:
Isn't Hotel de Ville rented space?  I thought it was supposed to be vacated with the open of LStL II.

I heard the same, along with Startop not being retained when the lease is up.  101, LSL 1 and 2, and possibly NPB (because of the construction and equipment installed there) is what I heard.

MCG said:

I'm not sure if it's rented or not.  LStL II is now mostly occupied with DGMEPM (who moved from next door) and DGAEPM (who moved from Cumberland, I think).  There's a bunch of space next door at LStL I (vacated by MEPM) being renovated, but I don't know who's earmarked to move in there.  The only residents there now are DGLEPM, the Mat Campus orderly room, some of DSCO and a bunch of smaller ADM(Mat) orgs.

Occam said:
I'm not sure if it's rented or not.  LStL II is now mostly occupied with DGMEPM (who moved from next door) and DGAEPM (who moved from Cumberland, I think).  There's a bunch of space next door at LStL I (vacated by MEPM) being renovated, but I don't know who's earmarked to move in there.  The only residents there now are DGLEPM, the Mat Campus orderly room, some of DSCO and a bunch of smaller ADM(Mat) orgs.
Did DLR move in with the Army Staff, or is it still on the main floor?
Vacant space should become home to the major procurement DGs in HdV and (I think) Constitution.

There have been multiple iterations of the plan.  Regardless, 25% of the DND/CAF footprint will remain in Gatineau.

The previous DM had come around to closing 101; not sure where that stands now.

Keep in mind that these decisions are not made in a vacuum; the overall footprint of the Federal government is considered as well.  For example, if you close 101, what department moves in?  Or do you demolish & rebuild something modern and functional (as is happening to a number of buildings in Ottawa - the Lorne Building replacement is nearing completion; the owner of the Constitution building is kicking everyone out in order to demolish and rebuild, and so on).

In an average week, I spend 5 to 10% of my time in transit between facilities in the NCR.  That's atypical, but it still represents a significant amount of lost time when multiplied across all the people in the NCR.  Consolidation would be a good thing.  Right now, for military personnel, a medical appointment and an appointment at clothing stores in the same day mean you won't be getting any work done - the hospital is in the east end of Ottawa, far from most other facilities, and clothing stores is across the river in Gatineau.

dapaterson said:
the hospital is in the east end of Ottawa

And you can blame the Federal government for that.  When hospitals in Ottawa were being closed due to the Health Services Restructuring Commission, the Montfort was on the chopping block.  Some allege that the only reason it stayed open was because it was to be the future site of NDMC.  Now, according to the timelines, it doesn't appear that way, but we all know that decisions like this don't get made overnight.*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montfort_Hospital

I do know that after the "new" NDMC opened, an investigation was going on with the Board at the Montfort, several of who are retired CF personnel.

*Kind of like the new Jr Ranks built in Baden when they already knew the base was closing.  That was part of the deal for the sale.

MCG said:
Did DLR move in with the Army Staff, or is it still on the main floor?
Vacant space should become home to the major procurement DGs in HdV and (I think) Constitution.

I believe DLR is still there, I don't get over to the other building often unless I have to harass the LEPM folks for info about radios they manage.  DAR and DNR are both at LStL II.  Makes sense that DGMPD would be out here, but making sense is not always first consideration it seems...  ;D

DLR still occupies a big chunk of the main floor at LSTL. In addition there are still some DLR folks at Hotel de Ville waiting for someone to give the pull pole order, then they will join the rest of us in LSTL.

E.R. Campbell said:
But it was never going to be a proper consolidation, even though the Nortel is, I believe, more than big enough for that. It was already a "given" that the presence in Hull would remain and I heard ~ not confirmed ~ that both 101 Colonel By Drive and the Startop Road site were being retained. Such a big, costly ($1 Billion?) move only makes sense if consolidation is about 90%+ complete.

The Nortel campus is a wonderful asset, but ...

1. It needs vastly upgraded public transit which is not, currently, part of the City of Ottawa plan; and

2. It is, possibly, not the ideal location for an agency with high security requirements. In some respects a fairly tight 'scatter' of buildings, most with 100% DND occupancy, in one area might a better idea from a security perspective.

The new City of Ottawa Transportation Master Plan is out and it does not extend LRT to Moodie Drive.

Part of the plan aims to pacify the Eastern suburb of Orleans, where many military folks live, by making it top priority for LRT expansion but it fails to go all the way to the prospective NDHQ site.

Occam said:
The plan was for 101, Startop, LStL, LStL II, NPB and Hotel de Ville to remain, and the rest would be consolidated.

So no more units at Uplands, Leitrim, Tunney's Pasture or Booth Street? That seems like even more movement than I would expect.

And I'm sure we're also keeping Connaught and Shirley's Bay -- they are basically next door to the Nortel Campus.

Back