• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'It's time to consolidate NDHQ' & 'DND to take-over Nortel Campus' (Merged threads)

ARMY_101 said:
Why they don't use Uplands, 45+ acres DND has already been leasing from the Crown for $1 a year for the past 50 years, I'll never understand.

Samuel Byck.  22 Feb 1974.

(Or look at the copycats who succeeded on September 11, 2001.)

What we should have done is build a brand new complex in Uplands.  Lots of land, right by the airport, Bob's your uncle!

caocao said:
What we should have done is build a brand new complex in Uplands.  Lots of land, right by the airport, Bob's your uncle!

I think you are grossly under-estimating how much it would cost to build a brand new complex.  Do you think maybe they already thought about it and realized this will be a heck of a lot cheaper.  We are going to move to Carling Place, the question is no longer if, it is when.

RoyalDrew said:
I think you are grossly under-estimating how much it would cost to build a brand new complex.  Do you think maybe they already thought about it and realized this will be a heck of a lot cheaper.  We are going to move to Carling Place, the question is no longer if, it is when.

And its the right decision, money-wise to consolidate into an already built complex, even if we have to sweep for bugs. Heck, they have to have a TCI done on big portions anyways for the secure areas.

caocao said:
Less then a billion my friend

Have you seen the plan for the Nortel Campus?  How much of that is related to new construction / relocation / custom requirements that a greenfield construction would have to do, as well as produce the current footprint?

caocao said:

RSM, with all due respect, do you not think that it is cheaper to consolidate 40+ office buildings in and around the NCR into a site that is already built and already accommodates everyone?  Or do you think it would be cheaper to build a brand spanking new building?  if you think the latter please do explain your rationale to me because I am failing to see the dots connect.

caocao said:

Probably not a lot less.  The new CSE building is 1/3 the size (72,000 m2 vice 207,000) and cost 880 million.  Admittedly there is a lot more security infrastructure there, but don't underestimate how much of NDHQ would have to fall into similar facilities.

dapaterson said:
Have you seen the plan for the Nortel Campus?  How much of that is related to new construction / relocation / custom requirements that a greenfield construction would have to do, as well as produce the current footprint?

Exactly, a lot of the costs associated with the moves are things we would have to do whether we built a new site or moved to Nortel.  DND is currently occupying nearly 50 (give or take a couple) office buildings around the NCR, leases will have to be broken, relocations will have to occur, a billion dollars is not that much money when dealing with the movement of thousands of people. 

It cost the US Army 11 billion dollars to move the Armour School from Fort Knox to Fort Benning in 2010.  Roughly 7,500 soldiers moved, so in comparison this doesn't seem expensive at all, in fact for the amount of people we are moving and the amount of stuff we need to close up, this seems pretty cheap.

AmmoTech90 said:
Probably not a lot less.  The new CSE building is 1/3 the size (72,000 m2 vice 207,000) and cost 880 million.  Admittedly there is a lot more security infrastructure there, but don't underestimate how much of NDHQ would have to fall into similar facilities.

It would cost far more not less.  Do you think the government, if given the chance, wouldn't try and save dime anywhere they could.  This is the cheapest and best COA, full stop.

dapaterson said:
Samuel Byck.  22 Feb 1974.

(Or look at the copycats who succeeded on September 11, 2001.)

??? Are you suggesting the proximity to the airport makes it a target?

I guess first we would need to establish if the 2.35 million ft2 (figures taken from google) of office space at the Nortel Campus is exactly what we need to accommodate the folks from the 40+ buildings in the NCR.  I have not seen the planning figures so i am unsure if the place is just the right size, way too big or too small.  Does anybody have any info on this?

As for commercial building cost in Ottawa, i have to admit that i do not know the price by ft2. 

Technoviking said:
No wonder we can't win wars: we can't even figure out where to put our NDHQ....

:not-again:

Ya really want an answer? :facepalm:

caocao said:
I guess first we would need to establish if the 2.35 million ft2 (figures taken from google) of office space at the Nortel Campus is exactly what we need to accommodate the folks from the 40+ buildings in the NCR.  I have not seen the planning figures so i am unsure if the place is just the right size, way too big or too small.  Does anybody have any info on this?

As for commercial building cost in Ottawa, i have to admit that i do not know the price by ft2.

So you have no idea of our requirements and no idea of the costs, but you can confidently say what the cost will not exceed.

You work in NDHQ right?

AmmoTech90 said:
You work in NDHQ right?
Bazinga-T-Shirt-Big-Bang-Theory.jpg

RoyalDrew said:
It would cost far more not less. 
Maybe.  Maybe not.  My default assumption would be to agree with you, but I would not stand on it as a certainty.
A new build with our communications and security considerations addressed in the initial design could, possibly, be cheaper than renovating an existing facility to address all of our needs.
I am too far away from the project to know if this possibility is a reality.

... in any case, the newest reports are now saying that there are/were infact no "bugs" in Nortel.
Guess we can resume the plan.

Very interesting; bugs found, now no bugs found. Maybe a Young tech found a telephone router and didn't know what it was.

Could you move NDHQ to Shilo?  Or Cold Lake?

Kirkhill said:
Could you move NDHQ to Shilo?  Or Cold Lake?

We're focusing more on Arctic Sovereignty, lets move it to Iqaulit.

Colin P said:
Very interesting; bugs found, now no bugs found. Maybe a Young tech found a telephone router and didn't know what it was.

Or maybe some guy revealed something he shouldn't have.

Back