• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interview soon...

Skeletor6669

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, so I applied to the Reserves in BC in June and have an interview and aptitude test set up for the 21st of this month (which just happens to be my birthday coincidentally). I was wondering, will they do the physical test then as well? I've been preparing myself since I applied, have quit smoking and am in pretty decent shape, only thing I'm worried about is the push ups part; I've gone from not being able to do a single pushup to being able to do about 15 so I'm quite nervous about that, my pecs just aren't strong enough yet haha. Do you think they'll do the fitness test on Wednesday or will that be at a later date?

Your interview is just that, your interview. Dress sharp, be professional, be honest and good luck. You will be informed of your physical testing prior to it's occurence, as for push ups try the search function. A LOT of topics/posts covering that, good luck. Sincerely Dave

ok thats put me a bit more at ease, though I'm still going to keep training like I have a fitness test in a few days. I've done a lot of research into each of the muscles used in the push up, whether its used ascending or descending, the primary and secondary muscle groups, etc so I'm good for the knowledge part of it, just gotta keep practicing :D. I've read everything on the recruitment page about the interview and aptitude test (http://www.forces.ca/en/page/theapplicationprocess-106#step5-5), are there any other kinds of questions they'll be likely to ask? I can already answer the example questions in my sleep lol. I'm going for Supply Tech btw.

Skeletor6669 said:
I've done a lot of research into each of the muscles used in the push up, whether its used ascending or descending, the primary and secondary muscle groups, etc so I'm good for the knowledge part of it,

I don't know a damned thing about which muscle does what........What i do know is that i lay flat on the floor and, well.....push up. Apparently, the more i do this, the better i get and the more i can do.

Maybe it's just me but your time could have been better spent.

Hi there,

Here is my two cents -

1. Interview:

a) Your attire (in my opinion) should be business formals. Clean, pressed and well matched. Black shoes go with a black belt, tie should compliment the trouser and shirt, etc. While this an interview for a job in the military and not the fashion industry, most hiring managers in any industry prefer a well turned out candidate.

b) Be prepared. Know the job, the organization, the working environment, the regiment or squadron that you're aspiring to join and most of all - know yourself. When I was in the RC waiting to be called in for my interview I was chatting with another person who was also there for an interview. He was dressed in torn jeans and I was surprised that he there for an interview and not just information gathering. I happened to ask the guy why he wanted to be an "infanteer", and the person said "Ummmm.... I don't know". That person did not get selected. I cannot give specifics about the content of the interview, but I will say this - if you've done your homework with sincerity, you will excel. There is tons of information on the Internet specific to the CF interview. I do not wish to post the specific link here, because I think that it will be a breach of privacy. If you speak with the interview booking NCO, he/ she will point you in the right direction.

When I went for my interview, I took along a file of documents (reference letters, commendation letters from supervisors and managers, additional courses undertaken through work, yearly appraisal report, etc). For most of the questions that I was asked, I had a document to support my answer and the actual work example that I had cited. I can say one thing for a fact - MCCs like candidates who come in well prepared.

2. Fitness:

a) I can't say if your physical fitness test will be on the same day as the interview. For my wife, she was scheduled for the CFAT and medical on the same day. Speak with the booking staff. They will tell you what all is going to be done and for how long you will need to be in the RC that day.

b) As for push ups, don't worry too much but just keep working on it. Weight training really helped me. You should aim to be able to cleanly bench press at-least your own weight (eight reps minimum). By cleanly, I mean - get the bar off the rack your self, do slow and controlled reps touching the bar to your chest everytime, and finally place the bar back on your own. Several of my friends who're in the CF have told me that 60-70 push ups is the number that most instructors look for in Recruits/ OCdts during basic training. Another thing to incorporate in your training is chin ups. You will not be required to do any push ups during testing. However, during basic training based on age and gender there is a minimum that one is expected to be able to do.

Just a little about myself - I have been in the recruiting process for almost three years now. (I am a DEO Regular Force candidate). During this time, I have been through three interview boards, merit listed all three times and have even been selected by a national board. Some work still needs to be done on my file that is why I have not been enrolled as yet. 

Again, all this is only based on my experience. I am not in the CF and am certainly not a recruiter!

Take care and all the best to you.

AGB.

Well just to bring a bit of closure to this thread I figured I'd reply and let everyone know how it went. Yesterday I did my CFAT, Medical, and interview. I scored high enough on the CFAT to be eligible for pilot which is awesome, even though I'm going in for SupTech lol. I passed my Medical with flying colours since I've always been healthy, never had to go to the hospital for anything, no medications, asthma, etc. The interview went very well, I answered every question with honesty and confidence. Afterwards I felt like I definitely over prepared for it all, which is much better than not being prepared for it lol. My next step is to book a fitness test then wait for my job offer :). Thanks everyone who helped me! It is greatly appreciated!

Back