• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interesting sidenote on the C-17

ha the F18 is in or around $30-40,000 an hour. Well we all know that certain people in certain places are always willing to line their pockets at the expense of those who can use the equipment.
The allure of some hefty cash bonus to some executive from some unknown company has seen it's place in most of our procurments. If one only looks at the add sponsership scandel among a few other unpublicized events.
I am not implying that the goverment themselves are doing this, but individuals with in that have influence into the matters maybe. They act for themselves in the betterment of themselves, not of the Country to whom they serve.
Buy planes now not later.

FSTO said:
See this:

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/ft-c17-subsidy.htm

I wonder if these folks are paid lobbyists for Ilyushin or Anatov?

Although CASR is representing it as "someone else's letter", it's a little unusual that the url address and page name are called "ft-C17-subsidy.htm"

Matthew.  :mad:

I'm going out on a limb here but I don't think we have a Hanger in Trenton (only Zoomy base I have ever spent time at) that will accommodate the tail structure of a C-17.  So the issue is we have no Hangers that will fit a C-17 to do the maintenance if we do any.

:cdn:

for such a small fleet makes sense to have the company who makes them do the maintance work on them.
they would have the spare parts and the trained techs to do the work. cost saving maybe. not like the fleet will be absed over seas all the time and need serious work over seas. The RAF is having the maker do the general work on the fleet they ordering so why not canada?

Considering that there is plenty of time between penning the contract and taking delivery of the aircraft, we've got plenty of time to build some new facilities.

When I worked in the NWT you had hangars that simply would have a hole cut out of the door / wall to allow most of (but not all) the aircraft to fit indoors... the rest would be looked after - outdoors.

In warm weather, I will agree with you.  In the wintertime in Greenwood, aircraft that are flying in the morning are not left outside overnight.

Zoomie said:
Does the Liberal Defense critic really believe that we have hangar space for all of our CC-130's?  What an idiot. 

Hangars are for maintenance - we park planes on ramps.

FormerHorseGuard said:
for such a small fleet makes sense to have the company who makes them do the maintance work on them.
they would have the spare parts and the trained techs to do the work. cost saving maybe. not like the fleet will be absed over seas all the time and need serious work over seas. The RAF is having the maker do the general work on the fleet they ordering so why not canada?

For 2nd and 3rd line maintenance, I don't think it's a bad thing to contract out maintenance.  We should be doing the 1st line work on all of our aircraft. 
  Of course contracted 1st line work gives techs with 20 yrs a place to work when they get that posting message they don't like, no need to sell the house or move the family.  :salute:

No doubt the US models have some rather sensitive equipment that is specific to their operations but we would not be buying that sort of equipment so the issue is dead in the water.
We have no accommodation for them but I understand that there is a plan that covers that aspect. The story in Trenton is that a proposed enlargement of the maintenance hangar which was upcoming as a general upgrading of infrastructure is on hold pending decisions about new hangar facilities for C-17s and other aircraft.
The Airbuses that we operate are serviced and maintained by contractors and the only military personnel involved in the operation are the aircrew. The contractor supplies a technician/engineer for flights that land away from Trenton. A nose dock hangar for the Airbus was built for local maintenance but all major work is done at the contractors facilities. From all reports the system works great and their entire support operation only takes up a couple of offices and the nose dock.
A nose dock is an abbreviated hangar that houses the front half of the aircraft to provide shelter for working on everything from the wings forward and is adequate for all but major maintenance and inspections.

Damn if things go right with the C17s they wont be spending much time in Canada any ways. They will be flying out of the joint HQ in Tampa bay off to far off lands. With trips to Canada for large loads only.
While using the Hercs to fly smaller loads to Tampa for mail runs and that.

I am just throwing this out there: does it have to be a CF hangar? Why not a civilian hangar, at say Toronto Pearson International Airport or Vancouver International Airport or even Montreal Trudeau International Airport? I think one of these airports has a hangar big enough to handle a Boeing 747, which is bigger in all dimensions than a C-17. Just thinking outside the box for a moment.

Edit: Only problem I can see is that we need to rent the hangar for a period of time from the airport, and we need to bring in the technicians as well.

CTD said:
Damn if things go right with the C17s they wont be spending much time in Canada any ways. They will be flying out of the joint HQ in Tampa bay off to far off lands. With trips to Canada for large loads only.
While using the Hercs to fly smaller loads to Tampa for mail runs and that.

What in the name of Me are you talking about!? Why would our C-17s be flying out of Tampastan?

If you were trying to be funny and I just didn't get it, I apologize.

MG

Armymatters said:
I am just throwing this out there: does it have to be a CF hangar? Why not a civilian hangar, at say Toronto Pearson International Airport or Vancouver International Airport or even Montreal Trudeau International Airport? I think one of these airports has a hangar big enough to handle a Boeing 747, which is bigger in all dimensions than a C-17. Just thinking outside the box for a moment.

Edit: Only problem I can see is that we need to rent the hangar for a period of time from the airport, and we need to bring in the technicians as well.
"Thinking outside the box" You bet you are.

I was reading somewhere last week (sorry can't remember if was the NP/G & M/internet) that Canada would ask NATO for money thru one of their programs to fund the building of new hangers for the C-17.

Does anyone else have any info on this??

Retired AF Guy said:
I was reading somewhere last week (sorry can't remember if was the NP/G & M/internet) that Canada would ask NATO for money thru one of their programs to fund the building of new hangers for the C-17.

Does anyone else have any info on this??

At the time they announced they were considering the C-17, there was a sidenote to that effect...not sure of the details, but I remember seeing it.

I think it was originally initiated to build/rebuild infrastructure within NATO countries within Europe, but we are eligible.

Armymatters said:

Or even Montreal's (in)famous Mirabel Airport - lots of space and few concerns about other air traffic in the area.  Maybe relocate Trenton lock, stock and barrel...

Best of all, it's co-located with the Bell Helicopter plant, so we'd be set to get another crop of Griffons...

(Oh, did I write crop?  I think that vowel is supposed to be an A)

http://www.admtl.com/uploadedFiles/enterprise_services/Mirabel%20-T-120%20Leasing%20Profile.pdf.
Try this. The location isn't practical and there are limited facilities apart from the hangar so it would never make the first cut. In Mulroney's era it would already have been leased to the military at great expense to  taxpayers and great benefit to his cronies.

Back