• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interesting sidenote on the C-17

ringo said:
The RAF did try to sell off short model C-130J's but as yet have had no takers.

Mod pins hopes on Boeing C17 amid Airbus doubts.

If you are going to put up a link...you should add....well.....a LINK !!!!!!

The J's are noticeably different in configuration performance reductions than H's and L's that we have.  Based on the marginal difference in operating requirements between the -10 and -30 J's (short and stretch) yet the much larger bulk that the -30 will carry, I suspect a lot of "mainstream" J operators will transition to -30's and take a hit on trading off -10's to smaller nations around the world who want to slightly upscale compared to their E/H-operating neighbours.

G2G

Good2Golf said:
The J's are noticeably different in configuration performance reductions than H's and L's that we have.  Based on the marginal difference in operating requirements between the -10 and -30 J's (short and stretch) yet the much larger bulk that the -30 will carry, I suspect a lot of "mainstream" J operators will transition to -30's and take a hit on trading off -10's to smaller nations around the world who want to slightly upscale compared to their E/H-operating neighbours.
I just love it when you talk 'trash-hauler'  ;)

Journeyman said:
I just love it when you talk 'trash-hauler'   ;)

LMAO ............. and he's not even a trash hauler!!!!
But he does talk the talk ... I've seen him.  He tries to walk the walk on the odd occasion as well.

Nobody has picked up the short versions of the RAF's J model C-130s.  After a visit to Lyneham to chat with them about their program they gave us a couple of lessons learned for when we really sink our teeth into ACP-T (The J model).  One thing they mentioned was to NOT buy the two versions of the C-130J - the stretch and the stubby (only buy one variant, don't mix the fleet).  Their second lesson learned was they wished they had simply bought a fleet of all C-130 J-30 stretch versions.

Canada did not buy the RAF's "steal of a deal" offer for their stubby J's.
One - because they told us not to buy those types.
Two - because we only want a single configured fleet, and
Three - because we want the stretch variant. 
One side note too - we were still reeling from the submarine incident ... so anything that came from the UK as second hand did not float too well in the opinion polls or with the media.

The RAF will be buying their 4 currently leased C-17s from Boeing when the lease expires (in 2008 I think - not sure) ... and they plan on adding to the fleet as well by more straight purchases (between 1 and 3 more).

The Airbus A400M has turned out to be a European Political Quagmire ...... and the UK/RAF is regretting it.

Globe, thanks for not slagging me too badly, bud!  ;D

If you're still down when I do a little x-ctry in a few months, I'll look you and the guys up!

Have fun in OK!

G2G

Back