• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Interesting sidenote on the C-17

I would think that the C-17 would  be kept in the strategic role while C-130s do TAL. It takes more than a small amount of effort to develop the procedures, equipment and training for TAL as it (in theory) is a precise operation involving air dropping of supplies and equipment. We already have the C-130 program for TAL but will require one for the C-130J when it comes on line at about the same time as the C-17.

I'm not right up to date on the issue but there have been lots of problems with the C-130 J  some of which had kept them from being used for TAL.

Now if we already had our C-17's...this might be us

Air Force C-17s Deliver Supplies to Aid with Evacuation
By Tech. Sgt. Chuck Marsh, USAF  American Forces Press Service
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jul2006/20060721_5722.html

WASHINGTON, July 21, 2006 – Air Force C-17 Globemaster III crews assigned to the 816th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron operating in Southwest Asia have added another mission to their resume, providing humanitarian civil assistance to the effort to evacuate Americans from Lebanon.
Airlift operations have responded quickly to the urgent needs in the Middle East, supporting U.S. citizens evacuating from Lebanon to Cyprus, U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials said.

The 816th EAS is flying water and meals, as well as essential personnel and equipment, to Royal Air Force Base Akrotiri on the island of Cyprus. In the first four days of the operation, the squadron has flown 23 sorties, logging almost 70 hours in the sky, transporting nearly 200 passengers and 500 short tons of humanitarian supplies
More on link

"Any Strat lifters would probably only goes as far as Mirage, and let the TAL elements take it the rest of the way to Kabul.  Only in cases of over-sized loads (i.e. LAV 3) would a C-17 be making the tactical insertion into Afghanistan."

- Op APOLLO 2002, my Coyote went from Edmonton to Ramstein by C5B, Ramstein to KAF by C17 (only half the runway was open), then six months later it left by C5B (full runway).  Missions might be Strat or Tac, but they use whatever plane they need.

TCBF said:
"Any Strat lifters would probably only goes as far as Mirage, and let the TAL elements take it the rest of the way to Kabul.  Only in cases of over-sized loads (i.e. LAV 3) would a C-17 be making the tactical insertion into Afghanistan."

- Op APOLLO 2002, my Coyote went from Edmonton to Ramstein by C5B, Ramstein to KAF by C17 (only half the runway was open), then six months later it left by C5B (full runway).  Missions might be Strat or Tac, but they use whatever plane they need.

+1

I agree.

As for places in Canada where we can access by roads rail and sea. Well if we have one of those nice founded earth quakes that threaten BC all the time, or a beloved sunami, maybe even a hurricane or a giant snow storm.
All of which can may and have taken out road, rail, air and sea services from main locations. Such as Vancouver, Victoria, Halifax etc.
The C17 can would and may have to be employed where it can land. Be it any form of airstrip that could support it at that point. With the abilitie to land with 3000ft or so with max weight, and take off empty in or close to that distance.

An earth quake could cripple BC very easyily. The military proved how powerless they would be in case of a real earth quake to the west coast due to logistical problems of delivering more then a min amount of support to the area by road or rail. As for sea lift. Well if we had it then great. Since most of the docking facilities would be gone, and the fleet of Navy ships on the west coast would be min manned in the first few hours of any disaster. Not to mention they themselves would be dealing with their own security and support at that time. 
Air support would be one of those few things that could still be sought out after such a large disaster.
Although some if not all the runways would be damaged to some degree, C17 could land in unimproved runways, Hence why it was designed. 

Runways or unimproved runways can be carved out and/or  fixed quickly enough to allow a/c such as the C17 to provide direct support to such an incident.

Th C17 is designed to run on gravel strips and or other types of less then perfect landing strips. Will, or is it used for such by us or other countrys on a regular basis.
No. Of course not. The abilitie is there and it works. So if we need to use it we can.

We come on this and other sites to read opinions, some facts and most of all B.S.

About a year ago it was mentioned that Chinooks and C17 were going to be purchased for the CF. A few people on here replied that would never happen and blah blah blah.
Well those same people may be the ones telling us they know better or what not then others. Not to knock any one on here, but some times we all do not know what is happening, no matter what level of operations or management you are involved with. 

If you are in the military, stop think and look around at what may be being said. Maybe some one out their may have a better idea then you or others have thought of. We are here for an open discussion of subjects. And that it that. OPEN DISCUSSION.

There are others out side of your chain of command, that may have more indsider or constructive criticism  as to what may, is or has happened.

Keep an open mind. If you disagree then state your case, but as in so many other sites some people whom seem to have the wealth of knowledge out right bash others. Statements such as, "in all your vastness of sea time, or all your expierance with" ( in referance to non military or non trade group) This compared to your vast wealth of knowledge also.  Just for some info some people have more expierance then you would imagine in many different subjects. Not all CEO's wear suits all the time nore scientists wear thick glasses and pocket protectors. Not all whom are in the know on military matters are in the service.

cheers all.

Good points CTD...

In case of natural disaster on the West Coast - Comox would most likely be the first large airport that would be up and running.  A platoon of airfield engineers would make our 10,000' airstrip their first priority.

The fact that is easily overlooked when it comes to the C-17 is it's foot-print when it comes to width.  There are plenty of 3,500' runways out in rural Canada that can meet the min runway length requirements for the Globemaster, but what about its min runway width of 90 feet?  I have flown the Buffalo into many interior BC strips that were only 50' wide - we only need 30 feet of runway width.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything - I do, however, have a good insight into how things work and can therefore make an informed opinion of what might happen.

My brother is a MSgt in the USAF, he has worked closely with the C-17 since the US first bought them. He was one of the lead Pneumatic Hydrolic Technicians on the Air Force Operational Test Evaluation Center team testing the first 12 or so aircraft the US purchased.

From my talks with my brother, and from having seen this aircraft upclose and personal, inside and out (about 11 years ago) I believe IIRC that the C-17 can take off and land quite happily on the same amount/quality of an air strip as the C-130. They are impressive beasts, but like everything, they have downfalls as well. Members of the AFOTEC team nicknamed the C-17 the FRED (F*&king Rediculous Economic Disaster) or the WHALE (Will Have Apparent Leaks Everywhere). But keep in mind...those nicknames were based on the ticks and bugs that come with every new peice of kit...and it was the AFOTEC team's job to find them and fix them.

I don't presume to know much on this subject...but it has been my brother's and my family's oppinion for a long time that the CF would greatly benefit from having C-17s on their kit list.

Just my $.02 take it for what it is worth.

Zoomie said:
Cold Lake, Goose Bay and Greenwood!?!  I couldn't think of three M.O.B.'s that would be a worse location for a Strat-Lifter to live.  Goose Bay has one road that goes up there and it isn't even paved all the way - how would you expect the tonnes of equipment to arrive for shipment overeseas?

The base that houses these behemoths will need direct access to a multi-lane superhighway, rail link and access to a large commercial support base.  Let's see - where could that possibly be?  Oh yeh, Trenton.
The feds are looking at purchasing 990 acres of land for base expansion at Trenton.http://www.intelligencer.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=217965&catname=Local+News&classif=News+%2D+Local

The Feds are selling land at Shearwater.  Which has highways, rail lines right thru base, its own docks capable of docking large ocean going ships in one of the largest ice free ports in eastern Canada and is part of the largest base in the country CFB Halifax, is only 20 mins by road from an international airport that has a a/c overhaul center serving international customers. But i think CFB trenton is a given at this point so why speculate further.

Toodles. 

CFB Halifax is the largest base in Canada in terms of PERSONNEL. 

Having the C-17's based in Trenton makes total sense.  Shearwater would be a good location, but we need these aircraft somewhat centrally located.  I know Winnipeg is more in the middle but Trenton is the most logical choice.

Cheers

This should end all the speculation on where it is going ........

RAAUZYUW RCCLHAV6073 2851928-UUUU--RCCRUNA.
ZNR UUUUU ZOC
RXFKVA T E3A COMPONENT CCNAEWF GEILENKIRCHEN
RXFKBA T CFSU E DET RAMSTEIN
RXCAFDA T SACT HC 02
R 110812Z OCT 06
FM NDHQ CAS OTTAWA//CAS//
TO CANAIRGEN
INFO ZEN/NDHQ VCDS OTTAWA//VCDS//
ZEN/NDHQ ADM MAT OTTAWA//ADM MAT/DGMPD/DGAEPM/AETE//
ZEN/NDHQ ADM FIN CS OTTAWA//ADM FIN CS//
ZEN/NDHQ CLS OTTAWA//CLS//
ZEN/NDHQ CMS OTTAWA//CMS//
ZEN/NDHQ SJS OTTAWA//SJS DOS//
ZEN/CEFCOM HQ OTTAWA//COMD//
ZEN/CANADA COM HQ OTTAWA//COMD//
ZEN/CANOSCOM HQ OTTAWA//COMD//
ZEN/CANSOFCOM HQ OTTAWA//COMD//
ZEN/NDHQ ADM IE OTTAWA//ADM IE//
BT
UNCLAS CANAIRGEN 025/06 CAS 041
SIC KAN
CANAIRGEN 025/06 CAS 041
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE

SUBJ: DESIGNATION OF C-17 MAIN OPERATING BASE (MOB)

REF: CANAIRGEN 024 CAS 039 071735Z SEP 06

1. ON 22 JUN 06, TB APPROVED THE PURCHASE OF FOUR AIRCRAFT TO
ADDRESS CANADA S STRATEGIC AIRLIFT CAPABILITY SHORTFALL. AN
EVALUATION BY ADM(MAT) STAFF HAS RECENTLY CONFIRMED THAT ONLY THE
BOEING C-17 MEETS THE CF S MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS. INITIAL
INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE FIRST AIRCRAFT COULD BE DELIVERED TO CANADA
AS SOON AS NEXT SUMMER

2. THE NEW FLEET WILL BE FLOWN BY CF AIRCREW AND MAINTAINED AT FIRST
LINE BY CF TECHNICIANS. AFTER ANALYSIS OF THE AVAILABLE OPTIONS, IT
HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT TRENTON WILL BE THE MOB FOR THE C-17

3. INFRASTRUCTURE UPGRADES TO 8 WING ARE REQUIRED TO SUPPORT THE NEW
CAPABILITY. AS THIS WILL NOT BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO THE INTRODUCTION
OF THE C-17 AIRCRAFT, INTERIM BASING REQUIREMENTS FOR BEDDOWN AND
HOME STATION CHECKS ARE BEING REVIEWED

4. THE C-17 REPRESENTS A SIGNIFICANT NEW CAPABILITY FOR THE CF.
TRAINING FOR INITIAL CREWS HAS ALREADY BEGUN, AND IT IS INTENDED TO
FIELD THIS CAPABILITY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. TO THIS END, A
WELL-COORDINATED EFFORT AT ALL LEVELS WILL BE REQUIRED TO ENSURE THE
EXPEDITIOUS INTRODUCTION TO SERVICE

Furthermore, 8 Wing scored very well during the Siet Activation visits and will most likely also be the "interim" location until it is ready to become the MOB.  Sounds odd really when you think about it.  Huge infrastructure change beginning in Trenton in the spring of 2007 - millions of dollars worth of concrete to be poured.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Well we would all benefit from his technical experience.

What do you want to know about it?
I flew the beast from Sept 2001 - Sept 2004.
1500 hours in 3 years .... 2 years on OEF in Afghanistan and 1 year on OIF in Iraq.
I left the USAF exchange as an Airdrop NVG IP.
I am about to return to the USA for the requal training in Jan 07.

What do you want to know about it?
You can get it here first hand .....

"It is better to have and not need, than need and not have!"

That's all I have to say about that.

RAF seek's additional C-17's, to add to four in service and a fifth aircraft to be delivered 2007, 3 additional aircraft to follow for a total of 8.

Something like peanuts, you eat one and you've gotta have more n'more

As the UK Military rationalises and contracts, it has to do more with less in every corner of the world at a moment's notice..... thus, the need for mobility, instant mobility.  Without their own air and sea transports, the UK cannot project their forces at the whim of their government.  So.... yeah, more C17s and more modern RORO maritime support vessels - it's the cost of projecting international power.

ringo said:
RAF seek's additional C-17's, to add to four in service and a fifth aircraft to be delivered 2007, 3 additional aircraft to follow for a total of 8.

This isnt news.  The RAF decided roughly 2 years ago to sell-off its Short model C-130Js in order to buy the C-17s they are currently leasing and buy additional aircraft.

The RAF did try to sell off short model C-130J's but as yet have had no takers.

Mod pins hopes on Boeing C17 amid Airbus doubts.

Back