• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Inmate contests excution on grounds that he is too fat.

Do we have to go through the litany of expediant solutions everytime someone or something like this comes up? If you can't provide a reasoned discussion, for altenative methods, without resorting to your 'kneel and face the ditch' comments, stay away from the keyboard. Every time one of the members posts something like this, it becomes fodder for the knee jerk reactionists that visit the site to find fault with soldiers. You only help confirm their perception that we are all nothing but a bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals.
We expect more from our members.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Apparently up until 2001 electrocution was also allowed. Maybe they could bring it back.

http://www.drc.state.oh.us/Public/capital.htm

It's just his lawyer doing what he is supposed to do, looking for an trying any avenue that may prevent his client from being executed.  It's an interesting argument, to say the least.

Sheerin said:
It's just his lawyer doing what he is supposed to do,

Its an interesting argument for sure and i am curious to see what the long term implications of this will be (beyond the obesity rate on death row increasing exponetialy of course). It begs to question if the state cannot execute someone sentenced to death using the only legal method, what do you do ?

The question I have is how did he get so fat eating death row food?

Midget

Do what needs to be done, end the life of the convict.

One way or another the death penalty is to be carried out, if you can't inject him, fry him or hang him then just shoot him and be done with it.  :skull:

Snafu-Bar said:
One way or another the death penalty is to be carried out, if you can't inject him, fry him or hang him then just shoot him and be done with it.  :skull:

Maybe you missed the "legal method" part of my post.........

All I know is this.  If I were on Death Row, I would use my hair colour, height, religion, shoe size, WHATEVER to stall my impending doom.

Did the criminal follow the laws? Why should he get treated better than the victims? Why should taxpayers continue to feed these bastards?

Bullets are cheap and plentifull, time to start using them to correct the "legally dysfunctional system"

Snafu-Bar said:
Did the criminal follow the laws? Why should he get treated better than the victims? Why should taxpayers continue to feed these bastards?

Bullets are cheap and plentifull, time to start using them to correct the "legally dysfunctional system"

Pull in your neck there Rambo. Read what I said above. If you have a REASONED argument to change the system, put it forward.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Snafu-Bar said:

::)

We cant punish someone for breaking the law by breaking it ourselves.

35 of the 36 states that allow the death penalty permit only lethal injection.

Thats the law, have a great day.

CDN Aviator said:
::)

We cant punish someone for breaking the law by breaking it ourselves.

35 of the 36 states that allow the death penalty permit only lethal injection.

Thats the law, have a great day.

Exactly my point, we handcuff ourselves to the fact that we abide by laws and the criminals do not. Why is that they can do stuff beyond the laws then be coddled and held like babies while innocent people are taken advantage of for being law abiding citizens? The system is broken badly and needs a major overhaul to correct it's dysfunction and political correctness.

The entire system is set up to allow for criminials to take advantage of others. Rehabilitational Justice does nothing in the way of helping victims, all it does is waste tax dollars and fresh air.

A link to the creator of the current shame of a justice system and it's hand holding mentality.
http://alterwords.wordpress.com/2008/06/21/agnes-mcphail-prison-reform/

And when terrorists and the like conduct atrocities against civillians we get rightfully morally outraged. If we start executing people as you advocate, then we are no better then them. So what will your name be Omar or Osama?

Snafu-Bar said:

My sole question to you is "Who decides?"

Listen to me Snafu-bar,
When a member of my own family was killed by a mugger a few years back I was pissed, I wanted the guy dead, in fact I wanted him to die in the most atrocious way and I did say some pretty stupid things at the time.

I understood in time that getting even is never the solution. It only brings on more hate. Revenge doesn't solve anything. The penal system's job isn't to exact revenge, it is to render justice. It might feel unfair but in time I understood that this is the best we can do. We can lock em' up but certainly nnot become criminals ourselves by stooping to their level. We're better, infinitely better than these criminals.

The incongruous said:
Listen to me Snafu-bar,
When a member of my own family was killed by a mugger a few years back I was pissed, I wanted the guy dead, in fact I wanted him to die in the most atrocious way and I did say some pretty stupid things at the time.

I understood in time that getting even is never the solution. It only brings on more hate. Revenge doesn't solve anything. The penal system's job isn't to exact revenge, it is to render justice. It might feel unfair but in time I understood that this is the best we can do. We can lock em' up but certainly nnot become criminals ourselves by stooping to their level. We're better, infinitely better than these criminals.

You're a better man than I. If someone killed a member of my family I would want him dead, deader, deadest. Full stop. As an aside, our penal system is broke and needs fixing. Far too much emphasis on criminals rights versus victims rights. You can argue about the death penalty till the cows come home but one point you can't argue is a criminal sentenced to death and executed can NEVER re-offend.

2 Cdo said:
As an aside, our penal system is broke and needs fixing.

Absolutely true, IMHO

Far too much emphasis on criminals rights versus victims rights.

Again, i couldnt agree more.

However, the answer to punishing offenders is not to ourselves break the law to do so. It only serves to make us one of "them".

Back