• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Informing the Army’s Future Structure

Although in semi-fairness to the Army, the Air Force had three air divisions, one, a real division as it were with approx 11,000 personnel and 15 operational aircraft fleets totaling approximately 350 aircraft operating on 11 Wing across Canada, embodying all of the RCAF’s combat and support AirPower. Another division oversees training (and air display) in the RCAF and has three wings and approx. 1500 personnel and several contracted aircraft fleets and I think the Snowbirds’ CT-114 Tutors are the only DND-owned aircraft. The third division is a Space division that has one wing and….some people. Personally I think of it as an Air Div(+) with some organizational maskirovka for some institutional delimitation.

I like the RCN model where each commodore on each coast has a RAdm for adult supervision. Clearly Nanisivik needs the same consideration, to follow the RCAF 3 Div conceptual model.
In fairness to the RCN, having a RAdm and a Cmdre on each coast is fine. The Cmdre has a Fleet and Fleet Staff and does embark as an operational commander of TGs. Those Fleet Staffs are quite lean since they do embark. So the Cmdre is "down and in" with the operational ships while the RAdm is responsible for the RCN presence on the Coast writ large and handles the "up and out."

In fairness to the RCN, having a RAdm and a Cmdre on each coast is fine. The Cmdre has a Fleet and Fleet Staff and does embark as an operational commander of TGs. Those Fleet Staffs are quite lean since they do embark. So the Cmdre is "down and in" with the operational ships while the RAdm is responsible for the RCN presence on the Coast writ large and handles the "up and out."

"We're bringing the Cmdr and staff..."

The sentence that makes every ships company shudder...

Honestly Canada should be able to field a a Corps of 3 Divisions.
Armored/Heavy Mech
LAV - Med
Light - Abn
With the bodies it has.
1 Deployable Div Hq
2 Static Div HQ
1 Static Army (Corps) HQ
Bde’s in the Division’s also setup to plug into US Divisions and Corps

Heck I’d even accept 2 Divisions with a LAV Bde tossed into each the Light and Heavy Div to round them out.
US Army

452,689 active duty Federal Army personnel [5]

330,000 civilian personnel[7]

176,968 Federal Army Reserve personnel [6]

324,019 Army National Guard personnel

Fun with numbers again

Applying the CBO's Primer evaluation to the discussion

We end up with 330,000 civilian personnel fielding 452,689 uniformed active duty personnel of which about 130,000 are directly employed in 10 divisions with 11 to 12 Armoured Brigade Combat Teams, 13 to 14 Infantry Brigade Combat Teams and 4 to 7 Stryker Brigade Combat Teams.

Each Division has its own Arty Brigade, Sustainment Brigade and Aviation Brigade.

130,000 direct employment vs 452,000 active = 29% of the force

The Canadian Army has a strength of 22,500
29% of the force = 6471

The direct numbers for a single

ABCT = 4040
SBCT = 3860
IBCT = 4680

Based on US standards Canada should be able to supply

1x SBCT and
1x SBCT(-)

Which is right about where we are.

US Army

452,689 active duty Federal Army personnel [5]

330,000 civilian personnel[7]

176,968 Federal Army Reserve personnel [6]

324,019 Army National Guard personnel

Fun with numbers again

Applying the CBO's Primer evaluation to the discussion

We end up with 330,000 civilian personnel fielding 452,689 uniformed active duty personnel of which about 130,000 are directly employed in 10 divisions with 11 to 12 Armoured Brigade Combat Teams, 13 to 14 Infantry Brigade Combat Teams and 4 to 7 Stryker Brigade Combat Teams.

Each Division has its own Arty Brigade, Sustainment Brigade and Aviation Brigade.

130,000 direct employment vs 452,000 active = 29% of the force

The Canadian Army has a strength of 22,500
29% of the force = 6471

The direct numbers for a single

ABCT = 4040
SBCT = 3860
IBCT = 4680

Based on US standards Canada should be able to supply

1x SBCT and
1x SBCT(-)

Which is right about where we are.
The big issue with using the the CBO numbers to compare to Canada is that the higher formations are built into the indirect numbers. So the Div, and Corps Support and Staff personnel. Canada has no Corps or real Div, so the 29% is being overly generous to the CA.

But you should also be able to field an ABCT and IBCT (-) from the PRes

44k for the CA (Total Force) using the 29% (which as noted is overly generous)
That put 12,760 Personnel into Bde Line units.

Now something that @Kirkhill and I have discussed via PM

What if one rethinks the entire concept of the CAF structure?

With the various Pod based munitions being available, one can create a very low PY A2AD setup.
I’m talking about CONNEX box based systems that are potentially able to be moved via UAS or Aviation systems.

From Ground Local Defense with 20mm Vulcan (that can also do close C-UAS), and 35-50mm turret boxes
VSHORAD, MSHORAD, DE-CUAS going all the way to LRPF systems.
Yes one also needs the sensors for those.

Add in some sort of RipSaw like vehicle - and you have a remote FOB - that only really requires human interaction to do maintenance and resupply.

Expensive for capital acquisition, but very low reoccurring costs due to low requirement’s for personnel.

The next question is can one then use these offensively? Conducting an ‘ink blot’ type expanding perimeter and leap frogging forward to pressure enemies or deny area.

With the various Pod based munitions being available, one can create a very low PY A2AD setup.
I’m talking about CONNEX box based systems that are potentially able to be moved via UAS or Aviation systems.

From Ground Local Defense with 20mm Vulcan (that can also do close C-UAS), and 35-50mm turret boxes

Add in some sort of RipSaw like vehicle - and you have a remote FOB - that only really requires human interaction to do maintenance and resupply.

Expensive for capital acquisition, but very low reoccurring costs due to low requirement’s for personnel.

The next question is can one then use these offensively? Conducting an ‘ink blot’ type expanding perimeter and leap frogging forward to pressure enemies or deny area.

Instead of the gunners guarding the guns the operative concept is one of the guns guarding the gunners.

The pods provide a secure space within which the gunners can service the guns.

One can use UAS from that secure zone as well.
Ironically the Supply and Maintenance Tech may be the only ‘combat’ arm in that scenario.

One can use UAS from that secure zone as well.
Ironically the Supply and Maintenance Tech may be the only ‘combat’ arm in that scenario.

In factories where operators service the machines the primary jobs are load, clean, grease and repeat. The maintenance guys are called into swap out damaged cards and realign feeds.

Fun with numbers again
The fact of the matter is that we have 3 CMBGs with roughly 4,500 pers each and a CCSB staffed with several thousands. (when everyone we're prepared to pay is actually there)

Once again we seem to be punching above our weight.

:ROFLMAO:

The traditional argument has been that Canada needs to have an Armoured Brigade to contribute to NATO and should strive to be able to deploy a Division. I think that the wars in Ukraine, Israel and Azerbaijan all show that there are other capabilities including Artillery (both tube and rocket), Precision Strike, Air Defence and ISR that NATO is seriously lacking where Canada could make an alternate but very significant contribution that would be just as appreciated as more traditional mechanized forces.

I agree that perhaps we need to seriously re-examine our force structure and what capabilities we should prioritize.

Even if one considers the wholesale conversion remote/unmanned/ containerized systems as a bridge to far, I think there's a lot to be said for potential alignment between Canada's defense needs and:
  • what the US is doing with either/both multi-domain task forces/ the evolution of the marines
  • the A2AD concept
  • leveraging loitering munitions/UAV's/containerized NLOS munitions
to create formations that can function either domestically or in an expeditionary manner to create an AD bubble within which LPRF assets can operate, with a light weight motorized force is conducting security tasks with their firepower augmented by loitering and NLOS munitions.

Useful in the arctic. Useful in the pacific. Useful in Europe.

Now say we want to do that, but can't abandon conventional tasks. What's the minimum that will take?
One thing I have trouble reconciling is the overlap in the hierarchy of NATO map symbols/ unit sizes. A combat team is recognized as a subunit, but a square combat team (especially one with any meaningful CS attachments) is well into the "unit" bracket.
If Canada were to take a CMBG, give the arty SP 155's, strip the LIB and one of the mech Bn's, augment the CS coy with a 9 mortar 120 platoon + an NLOS/loitering munition AT platoon, and shift the tank squadron to 14, the remaining Tank Regiment and Mech Bn could be organized into 3 semi-permanent square combat teams with 3 tube 120mm mortar det and AT over watch. Such a formation (with its engineers would still have/be close to the personnel count/ unit count of a small bde, and re-organized as combat teams the two input maneuver units could generate 3 functional units for 2 up one back.

Even if one considers the wholesale conversion remote/unmanned/ containerized systems as a bridge to far, I think there's a lot to be said for potential alignment between Canada's defense needs and:
  • what the US is doing with either/both multi-domain task forces/ the evolution of the marines
  • the A2AD concept
  • leveraging loitering munitions/UAV's/containerized NLOS munitions
to create formations that can function either domestically or in an expeditionary manner to create an AD bubble within which LPRF assets can operate, with a light weight motorized force is conducting security tasks with their firepower augmented by loitering and NLOS munitions.

Useful in the arctic. Useful in the pacific. Useful in Europe.

I totally agree that the notion of doing it wholesale is a bridge to far (and should be). I was more thinking that if you look at the CA PY’s what can you get to make the most bang for the buck.

Now say we want to do that, but can't abandon conventional tasks. What's the minimum that will take?
One thing I have trouble reconciling is the overlap in the hierarchy of NATO map symbols/ unit sizes. A combat team is recognized as a subunit, but a square combat team (especially one with any meaningful CS attachments) is well into the "unit" bracket.
If Canada were to take a CMBG, give the arty SP 155's, strip the LIB and one of the mech Bn's, augment the CS coy with a 9 mortar 120 platoon + an NLOS/loitering munition AT platoon, and shift the tank squadron to 14, the remaining Tank Regiment and Mech Bn could be organized into 3 semi-permanent square combat teams with 3 tube 120mm mortar det and AT over watch. Such a formation (with its engineers would still have/be close to the personnel count/ unit count of a small bde, and re-organized as combat teams the two input maneuver units could generate 3 functional units for 2 up one back.

I think the ciritcal point before looking at Bde structure is what does Canada expect from a Bde? And just as importantly what do the NATO Allies.

I think the CA needs to give up on the idea of the CMBG, and see what Allied Divisions the CA can plug a Bde into.

It should then force the CA to do some introspective research and analysis as to what exactly the CA needs to do to accomplish its mandate from the GoC.

One thing the ‘containerized’ systems can do is reduce direct manpower needs for certain tasks. (And for @FJAG i know they don’t truly reduce manpower needs as they require a lot of support in the logistics side as well as personnel to load them.

The CA is ~39k of Regular Army and PRes (I cut out the 5k Canadian Rangers from this as they aren’t a conventional force.

Using @Kirkhill ‘s 29% that provides front line personnel at 11,310

When one strips the CT structures out of the Brigade the Brigades are generally 3 Inf Bn or 2 Inf Bn and Tank Bn in the vicinity of 3k personnel (albeit the Armor Bde’s down here go for Combined Arms BN’s, in either Armor Heavy or Infantry Heavy compositions).

So Canada should be able to field 4 Cbt Bde’s plus a Deployable Div HQ and CS and CSS support Bde’s (the support and HQ functions are allocated from the 71% tail personnel ratio)

Albeit 1/2 of that would be PRes, and realistically the heavier loading of HQ and certain support tasks would be regular).

Current state:
Canada currently can field 2 LAV Bde one of those with tanks.

NATO desires/requires Canada to supply a Heavy Bde to NATO upon times of crisis.
-assumption 1, that is supporting the long term NATO eFP BtlGrp

Canada desires to be able to also deploy 1 Bde(-) for short duration missions
Canada desires to be able to deploy 1 BtlGrp for long term missions, and 1 BtlGrp for short duration missions. Plus other smaller missions.

Right now the potential taskings from SSE are bigger than the CA can support.

Canada needs a way to be able to punch above its weight in terms of simple PY offerings to Allies.

1) Like it or not Canada needs to provide or be able to provide a Heavy Mech Bde to NATO for Europe.

2) Canada doesn’t have that, and the LAV6.0 isn’t a Bradley/CV90.

More to follow

Back