• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

ObedientiaZelum said:
Of course, and this will be strictly enforced. Collars must be down in garrison. No toques with rain jackets, same ol important O-group points.

But you're allowed to wear a daypack on one shoulder, as long as its the left one...

Just wondering: will we ever go to multi-cam, just like the grown ups  ;D

So what's the protocol on the new high visibility name tapes and rank insignia?  I notice the CAC wearing both the name tape and rank insignia, but the Army RSM has mixed accoutrements.

Is high vis only for garrison, while the subdued for field/operational wear?

I am really liking the new colour for the rank insignia's, I find it hard to distinguish the current ones.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I find the "only wogs wear sleeves up" mantra kinda elitist myself.

Troops on extra-curricular "juice de banan", sleeves up for the gunshow.
It's best.

Matt_Fisher said:
So what's the protocol on the new high visibility name tapes and rank insignia? .... Is high vis only for garrison, while the subdued for field/operational wear?

I've seen two different power points(latest being 31 Jan 12) about the new uniform;  I don't recall any mention of wearing high vis(called improved visibility  velcro name/rank in .ppt) for garrison and a subdued version for field.  Only the high visibility style was mentioned and shown.  Same with the flag,  only the red/white flag was shown,  no green version.  But then again,  we do have the IR flag patch that is the same size as this red/white one.

Matt_Fisher said:
I notice the CAC wearing both the name tape and rank insignia, but the Army RSM has mixed accoutrements.

Perhaps the RSM's new name tapes haven't arrived yet?

So we've invested millions to acquire uniforms with improved camouflage.

And now we're spending more money to get rank and name identifiers that are high visiblity.

"Special Kind Of Stupid" does not begin to describe this

#AtLeastIt'sEasierToFindCentreOfMass

IMO the improved visibility name and rank isn't a issue for field use as the tac vest and/or FPV would cover them(if the name and rank are worn).

We've already got a uniform for garrison wear that has high visibility ranks & nametags.  It's called the DEU.

Not appropriate if you're working on the shop floor, but plenty adequate for sitting around the office type jobs.

I'll put this one to bed.

The high vis stuff is for formation comd staff posns....sayeth th oracle @ Div HQ

dapaterson said:
We've already got a uniform for garrison wear that has high visibility ranks & nametags.  It's called the DEU.

Not appropriate if you're working on the shop floor, but plenty adequate for sitting around the office type jobs.

Agreed.

Jammer said:
I'll put this one to bed.

The high vis stuff is for formation comd staff posns....sayeth th oracle @ Div HQ

If the formation HQ is so big that no one knows who's senior and in charge, then right-size the HQ.

That's why there are pictures on the walls with names and positions on them when you walk in the door. Day one, week one stuff....

dapaterson said:
If the formation HQ is so big that no one knows who's senior and in charge, then right-size the HQ.

So, when I am walking in downtown Ottawa I should immediately recognize every military person that I come across from a distance? Personally, I like the idea of knowing that a salute is required before I am one step away from the person whom I should be saluting.

There are no field positions in NDHQ.  If you are posted to Ottawa, unless you're heading out to Connaught ranges, you shouldn't be in CADPAT.

The solution is to wear the appropriate uniform.  Not to make camouflage un-camouflage by spending more money.

dapaterson said:
There are no field positions in NDHQ.  If you are posted to Ottawa, unless you're heading out to Connaught ranges, you shouldn't be in CADPAT.

The solution is to wear the appropriate uniform.  Not to make camouflage un-camouflage by spending more money.

“Field position” has nothing to do with it, plus you have to look at the bigger picture. Troops wandering around Pet, Edmonton or Valcartier certainly are not going to know everyone, and they are in field positions.

Unless of course, because they are not physically in the field they are required to wear DEU then that would solve everything. Or wait, we could introduce a new uniform. Make it kind of a cross between the field and garrison, you know kind of a camo jacket idea and maybe a dress pants ensemble. :)

There we go problem solved….. or just make the names and rank a little easier to see.

If a few officers are so insecure that they need high-visibility ranks to ensure they are saluted the solution is not high visibility ranks, but better quality officers.

Jammer said:
Garrison dress....I hate you...:)

Funny you'd mention that.. while digging around for my respirator in my "army stuff" boxes last night I stumbled upon my "old army stuff" box and had a blast from the past:

Full garrison dress including jacket, pants, tshirts and boots; full Summer DEU with top and bottom; 82 pattern webbing; and full PT gear including (unused) grey runners, grey shorts and white t-shirt with blue collar.

Back