• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Jungle said:
The UK Army is switched to their version of Multicam. They are not going back to DPM.

From what I have seen on the Daily Mail website over the past few months that is true.  Any stories regarding soldiers in the UK have had them in Mulitcam when not in their No. 1's.  I'm sure it makes more sense from a budgetary point of view to have only one pattern to worry about.  I can only imagine how expensive it is for us to have two styles to maintain.

That might explain why I got a lot of DPM stuff from my buddy. Go figure. I like the stuff anyways when I play OPFOR or going hunting anyways.

MrBlue said:
but THIS (up above) is what turns people off from this site.

Is it too much to hope it will turn you off ?

Therefore I don't feel the milnet.ca staff had any reason to single me out and be so rude.

I'm not staff so.......

jollyjacktar said:
Once I saw the uniform up close it did not seem so bad and ugly.  It does not clash on ship the way the FF coverall in cadpat does.  That, looks ridiculous..... on ship.

Wouldn't firefighters (I'm assuming that's what FF means in this context) want to be one of the most visible uniforms?  If you're going into a fire, wouldn't it make sense to be wearing canary yellow or something similar (like bunker gear, civ pattern FF gear, etc.)?

I happen to agree that semantics and the whole "Holier than thou" attitude really does turn people off of participating on this forum. Sure someone may be a SME, but that doesn't mean they need to come off as a jerk.

On topic, I would like to pose a question. Could this pattern be the next for us? In a few years obviously, once the CADPAT fad has worn off.

ACU_Coat__A-TACS_2.jpg

ACUTrouserATACS.jpg

http://a-tacs.com/

ouyin2000 said:
I happen to agree that semantics and the whole "Holier than thou" attitude really does turn people off of participating on this forum. Sure someone may be a SME, but that doesn't mean they need to come off as a jerk.

On topic, I would like to pose a question. Could this pattern be the next for us? In a few years obviously, once the CADPAT fad has worn off.

ACU_Coat__A-TACS_2.jpg

ACUTrouserATACS.jpg

The only ones acting like jerks are the ones trying to sneak in with the cheap shots and trying to show they can dicerne attitude, intent and inflection from an internet post. You can't. This shit stops now. The next one to take the thread off course, gets whacked.

Milnet.ca Staff

Dimsum said:
Wouldn't firefighters (I'm assuming that's what FF means in this context) want to be one of the most visible uniforms?  If you're going into a fire, wouldn't it make sense to be wearing canary yellow or something similar (like bunker gear, civ pattern FF gear, etc.)?

The bunker gear, that they respond to fires in, is not CADPAT, so what is the issue ?

Dimsum said:

Of note: the second largest fire department in the world, the FDNY, uses black bunker gear. Not that they are the be-all, end-all...anyway. Normally a three stripe system of fluorescent/retroreflective/fluorescent is employed for visibility. I can personally attest to the colour of the gear not factoring a whole hell of a lot, the stripes are what show up if you have a beam of light cut the smoke. I find them of increased value when attending MVAs where lighting might be low and you have dickheads ignoring all the flashing lights to continue to drive mach chicken.

Striping itself can open a whole other can of worms. Many feel the fluorescent striping can cause a heat sink because, by design, fluorescent materials absorb energy. There have been changes to counter the affects of heat sink like split bands of striping in vulnerable areas (wrists)

Anyway, that's my contribution to a derail, back on topic.

jollyjacktar said:
From what I have seen on the Daily Mail website over the past few months that is true.  Any stories regarding soldiers in the UK have had them in Mulitcam when not in their No. 1's.  I'm sure it makes more sense from a budgetary point of view to have only one pattern to worry about.  I can only imagine how expensive it is for us to have two styles to maintain.

Are we coming full circle?  One of the stated reasons that Canada was one of the last countries to adopt a dispersed pattern uniform was that we couldn't afford multiple styles for different zones and that OD was the best compromise for use in all zones.  La plus ça change, la plus ç'est la même chose... 

Perhaps, a little off topic, but I wish they would improve the NCD pants. I find they are heavy and they are a little uncomfortable to wear when working on ship.

rezz said:
Perhaps, a little off topic, but I wish they would improve the NCD pants. I find they are heavy and they are a little uncomfortable to wear when working on ship.

There are far sight better than the ones that used to shrink with EVERY wash (and no, it wasn't just the duff causing it) and turn purple!

Pusser said:
...and no, it wasn't just the duff causing it...

...double-duffing would make them "shrink" though, right?  ;)

ouyin2000 said:

http://www.militarypolicesupply.net/cart/images/ACU_Coat__A-TACS_2.jpg
https://dstactical.com/images/ACUTrouserATACS.jpg

If you are going to propose a camo, you might want to at least pose some pros/cons on why you think it should be adapted.  I don't think CADPAT is a  "fad" that is going to wear off anytime soon.  I don't see why ATACs would replace CADPAT,  I see it running into the same issue as UCP and sticking in a lot in green areas.  Also why would you like ATACs to replace CADPAT?  Do you think it's a better camo pattern?  What do you think is wrong with our current TW and Arid CADPAT?

The Canadian Forces is not in the business of keeping fashion moguls and fashion designers employed.  Nor is the CF expected to follow any other military in its pursuit of clothing and equipment for its troops.

We can't afford to be changing combat uniforms every four or five years. It is far to expensive, plus what we have works fairly well.

I'm sure their is one CF fashion designer living well in retirement.Remember the work dress uniform of the early 90's? I still have my duck hunting jacket!

Tow Tripod said:
I'm sure their is one CF fashion designer living well in retirement.Remember the work dress uniform of the early 90's? I still have my duck hunting jacket!

Different times, different mind set. Our "leaders" were more concerned about how we looked rather than how we performed where it counted - in the field.

Tow Tripod said:

Whoever thought the shirt collar should be popped over top the jacket collar, was stuck in the '70s, IMHO.  I always thought garrison dress would have been more practical if it were tan shirt, combat pants and combat boots.  If it's cool, put on the sweater. 

There.  I got that off my chest.  I feel much better!  ;D

RangerRay said:
Whoever thought the shirt collar should be popped over top the jacket collar, was stuck in the '70s, IMHO.  I always thought garrison dress would have been more practical if it were tan shirt, combat pants and combat boots.  If it's cool, put on the sweater. 

There.  I got that off my chest.  I feel much better!  ;D

There was never a need for a Dress Uniform, a "work dress" and an operational uniform ie combats/CADPAT. Two uniforms only - DEU and operational - ie NCD, CADPAT, flight suits etc

In the Infantry, work dress was just another parade dress. We spent too much time looking pretty and not enough being dirty.

Now, if any of you has the bright idea to reintroduce ascots, you shall feel my wrath...and Shall Smite you!!

Jim Seggie said:
There was never a need for a Dress Uniform, a "work dress" and an operational uniform ie combats/CADPAT. Two uniforms only - DEU and operational - ie NCD, CADPAT, flight suits etc

In the Infantry, work dress was just another parade dress. We spent too much time looking pretty and not enough being dirty.

Agreed.  It didn't make sense to have two high-maintenance uniforms that served more or less the same purpose, but weren't for the same purpose.  We wore garrison dress to sort out stores and other labour-type work in the armoury.  I might as well have worn DEUs.  Hence my suggestion; a little dressier for garrison, but still practical.  But I'm not saying the Army should do it now!  They are thankfully gone for good.

Jim Seggie said:
Now, if any of you has the bright idea to reintroduce ascots, you shall feel my wrath...and Shall Smite you!!

But they were sooooo classy!  ;D  Don't you want to look like a disco soldier again?  ;)

You do know if you mention Work Dress, Garrsion Dress or Ascots that God kills a kitten right. 8)

Back