• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Sure both Air Brunei and Air Emirates do this complimentary for long duration flights.  I flew to New Zealand four times to and from Dubai and experienced that.  I also saw Continental provide these for a trans-Atlantic flight.

Of course not all airlines are equal.  Quantas left them out of my flight to L.A. from Auckland.

If you'd like to read more.

http://www.flightsocks.co/gctech-socks.asp

...not to "derail" this thread about socks  ;) , but what's changed with the uniform?  Is there a non-DIN picture or description? 

Dimsum said:
...not to "derail" this thread about socks  ;) , but what's changed with the uniform?  Is there a non-DIN picture or description?

Here you go....it's the main contender with flight sock qualities built in....

http://img3.doitstyle.com/super/4b56dd1d12ac6.jpg

and of course the arid version....

http://superfansuits.com/images/img-product-brown-camo1-f.png  :cdn:

Changes:

- Mandarin collar & velcro
- Flat chest pockets & rank
- Velcro on all pant pockets (side leg pockets remain)
- Velcro closures & elastic cord & lock for pant hems (storm flap remains)
- Back - Flap for increased range of motion for the same size
- Pockets: Arms + pen pockets on sleeves;
- Velcro attachment on sleeve cuffs;
- No more draw strings;
- Better fit; and
- Integrated kneepads.

Why are we going all velcro when the Americans have been complaining about the velcro on the ACU since it came out?

old fart said:
Here you go....it's the main contender with flight sock qualities built in....

http://img3.doitstyle.com/super/4b56dd1d12ac6.jpg

and of course the arid version....

http://superfansuits.com/images/img-product-brown-camo1-f.png  :cdn:

And of course, these are streamlined and should lead to faster, more efficient soldiers. And I think they will be vastly useful in the realm of psychological warfare.  ;D

signalsguy said:
Why are we going all velcro when the Americans have been complaining about the velcro on the ACU since it came out?

We're 10 years behind the times. They'll switch to something better than velcro, and we'll just be starting to get combats without buttons.

PuckChaser said:
We're 10 years behind the times. They'll switch to something better than velcro, and we'll just be starting to get combats without buttons.

Coincidentally, aren't the Americans putting buttons BACK on their combats?

I just remembered another thing I saw done that hasn't been discussed here: what about the soldiers (usually infantry or "jumpers") that tuck their whole pant leg into their boot with that pretty fold?  Where do we sit on that habit?

Bzzliteyr said:
I just remembered another thing I saw done that hasn't been discussed here: what about the soldiers (usually infantry or "jumpers") that tuck their whole pant leg into their boot with that pretty fold?  Where do we sit on that habit?

And let's not forget the weights to give it an authentic look.

During the summer season, daily training dress was the Bush Uniform. It was heavy, olive- drab cotton, with lots of pockets and very practical for its original intent. However, when worn in garrison it had to be starched and pressed, laces through the pant cuffs with weights in the bloused trouser legs to be worn with boots and puttees. The sleeves on the jacket had to be rolled-up just above the elbow and not unrolled under any circumstance. No matter how cold it got or how thick and hungry the mosquitoes were, the sleeves were to remain up. You could wear your Sweater High Neck under the jacket to cover your bare arms (which spoiled the "military look") but unless you wished to suffer the wrath of the powers that be, you didn't dare roll down those sleeves. The real "Training Dress", worn over battledress or bush uniform, in winter or summer, needing no pressing, alterations or accoutrements, was the issue black, cotton coveralls. They didn't look very military but were inspection proof and a model of practicality.
  (Source) - Read the whole article to see how terrible it must be to serve in today's army.

Will someone please pull the pictures out of the Power Point and post them, for people with limited DIN access?

From the sounds of the description, I wouldn't be all that worried about blousing the pants. It sounds like an upgraded camo version of Work dress or Garrison dress.

Get your irons ready, someone's going to want it pressed, and when that keener shows up all sharp creased it's going to catch like a prairie fire.  ;)

Michael O'Leary said:
  (Source) - Read the whole article to see how terrible it must be to serve in today's army.

And Tropical Worsted!!! Don't forget our TDubs! ;D

Michael O'Leary said:
  (Source)
- Read the whole article to see how terrible it must be to serve in today's army.

That's a wonderful article. Thanks for posting.
"Thirty-Seven years of service from January 23rd 1956 to April 1993"  :salute:

Bzzliteyr said:

Like one of my soldiers used to say "that's gay"

Another said "thats crazy talk"

In reply to the compression sock discussion, I give you this link I found during lunch.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/04/16/ceps-compression-socks/

In any case I've said my piece as to the comfort and potential hazards of elastic boot blousing and other kinds of pressure points.  I'm NOT saying we need compression socks or leggings, I was simply using those examples to show that there does exist an issue with pressure points from clothing reducing good circulation.  Because there was a group of people calling into question the validity of that statement.  As I've said a few times already ask any doctor if pressure points or tight fitting clothing can inhibit circulation and you'll get the same answer.

Our uniforms have undergone many changes over the past century and in this one.  The majority of those changes occured as a result of advancements in our understanding of ergonomics and how equipment fits to our bodies.  (Trying to force bodies to fit equipment only causes injuries). 

The combat soldier of WW1 wore shoes that bear closer resemblance to office or formal wear shoes than they do to modern combat boots or hiking footwear.  It took time and research to learn that one could lessen the ammount of injuries by providing footwear with better ankle support, tread and shock absorbtion.  Fast forward to today and you've got orthodics, vibram soles etc.

Or take the example of how our helmets have gone from simple steel hats held on by a strap to todays helmet with wraps around the face to stay secure.

The boot blousing issue is no different from any other change in combat attire.  And clearly whoever is on this project has taken that into account seeing as there is the option to secure the pantleg at the ankle with a velcro cuff.  To give troops options in the field.  The same is true of these combat shirts' sleves which not only allow people to use different cuff sizes depending on the thickness of their wrists; but are actually pleated at the shoulder to let the sleve move with the arm instead of tightening around the wrist when one is bringing a rifle up to the shoulder or extending their arms.

It is good to see those who are in positions to effect change are listening to the various deficiencies to provide an improved product to troops.

No problem gang, I take payments in form of ice cold MGD's......

Back