• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ideal Fitness Training?

AtkinsonA

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the boards, but not to the site.

I have been thinkg for many years, since I was 13, that I wanted to join the Army.  And having finished High school and soon to be my first year at university, it has been a much more predominant thought.

The problem is, that I am in terrible physical condition.

18 Years old, 19 in June.
6'0"
230lbs. (mostly fat mass)

I know that there is no way I will pass my physical at this moment, which is why I want to buck up and get in shape.

The problem is, I don't exactly know how to get started.

I have tried running everyday, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I really need advice, and I think this is would be the best place to look for it.

Thank you.

Just keep running, do push ups and sit ups if you can, if you have free weights use them, Most importantly, Eat healthy and you will notice the fat slowly go away, It does take time, Do not give up under any circumstance.

AtkinsonA said:
Hello, I'm new to the boards, but not to the site.

I have been thinkg for many years, since I was 13, that I wanted to join the Army.  And having finished High school and soon to be my first year at university, it has been a much more predominant thought.

The problem is, that I am in terrible physical condition.

18 Years old, 19 in June.
6'0"
230lbs. (mostly fat mass)

I know that there is no way I will pass my physical at this moment, which is why I want to buck up and get in shape.

The problem is, I don't exactly know how to get started.

I have tried running everyday, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I really need advice, and I think this is would be the best place to look for it.

Thank you.

Try this thread
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23364.0.html

and this thread
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22788.0.html

53 pages worth of PT advice, start reading.

Don't worry about it.

I was in waaay worse shape than you when I started thinking about joining.

Eat lots of fruit, veggies and water. Eat small amounts of carbs and sugar

Run twice daily, even if it is only 10-15 mins at a time. Running burns more calories than any other form of cardio.

Do this for a month. If you stick to it - you can expect to lose 10-15 lbs.

If it hurts - it is supposed to. You did'nt get this way by doing nothing, and you wont get out of it by doing nothing either. Good things come with blisters, strains, pulls and sweat. Anyone who tells you otherwise is probably not in very good shape.

Set your goals in terms of capabilities, not your weight. You will find much more success by going from 10 to 20 pushups in a month than you will from dropping from 230 to 227.

Oh - and get off the computer!

ideal PT? the most ideal point is that you can do 20 pull-ups within 2min, 100 sit-ups within 2min and run 3 miles within 18min

Go to a gym and hire a trainer, tells him exactly what your goals are. Saves yourself a lot of time from making mistakes.

Delta said:
ideal PT? the most ideal point is that you can do 20 pull-ups within 2min, 100 sit-ups within 2min and run 3 miles within 18min

Go to a gym and hire a trainer, tells him exactly what your goals are. Saves yourself a lot of time from making mistakes.

Well thats good that your arms/back and abs will be strong. But I would suggest a making sure your workout is well rounded. I assume pushups was just forgotten about? Because im sure you will be doing enough of them. Cardio is definitely something you should focus on to start with, it will help with weight loss and get you use to exercising

punkd said:
Well thats good that your arms/back and abs will be strong. But I would suggest a making sure your workout is well rounded. I assume pushups was just forgotten about? Because im sure you will be doing enough of them. Cardio is definitely something you should focus on to start with, it will help with weight loss and get you use to exercising

So if you have good cardio, your back, arms and abs are strong - you still need to be more "well rounded"???

Please elaborate, apparently I am missing something!

Your body has more muscles then what you will work by just doing chin ups, and situps. You shouldn't just overtrain certain muscle groups.
Just to point out a couple, chest, shoulders and legs (weight training anyways) were left out.

punkd said:
Your body has more muscles then what you will work by just doing chin ups, and situps. You shouldn't just overtrain certain muscle groups.
Just to point out a couple, chest, shoulders and legs (weight training anyways) were left out.

Shoulders/chest are worked out by doing chinups/pullups.

Legs are worked out by running.

No weight training is required to be in top physical condition. You can be in fantastic shape by doing plyometrics and running. The only piece of equipment you need is a chinup bar, strictly speaking.

Remember Rocky III? He beats up the russian with all his fancy kit.... just by chillin in a barn and running with a log!

GO!!! said:

No weight training is required to be in top physical condition. You can be in fantastic shape by doing plyometrics and running. The only piece of equipment you need is a chinup bar, strictly speaking.

Remember Rocky III? He beats up the russian with all his fancy kit.... just by chillin in a barn and running with a log!

cant forget running up that mountain!  anyone ever follow that "Army fitness Manual" they sent out?

GO!!! said:

You're right. You can do it with limited equipment. How ever if you want to get better results and get in shape quicker, then a proper work out routine should be followed. As mentioned this can be obtained from a trainer. I had a trainer for about a year, learned a lot and gained a lot from it. It definitely helped me get in better shape. Although, if you don't have time to make it to the gym a few times a week then yes, a chin up bar is great to have. I do chinups in my workout routine on back/chest day.. I find they are great for the lats how ever so are barbell/dumbell rows, seated rows, lat pull downs. I just find it nice to have a selection, as well as isolate individual muscles.

Squats are also damn good not only for the legs, but for multiple bodyparts. It's more than possible to do them at home, but probably a lot easier with a squat rack and weight plates at a gym.

GO!!! - small correction. You're going to need a dip bar to work on those chest/triceps, pushups or pullups are going to target the biceps/back. Both are excellent compound exercises, though.

I found a workout routine at www.bodybuilding.com and have been following that. On the off muscle days Tues and Thurs I do extra cadio. I also find that swimming is a great way to build endurance. If you have access to a pool.

The routine is based around working a different muscle each day I do my own cardio every day and try to swim on Tues and Thurs this is all great if you have access to a gym if not your best bet is to run do pushups, situps, and chinups as much as you can. 

I was 6.1 and 235 pounds and did not enjoy running or working out. But after I started and got used to it I can't get enough.The only person stopping you from getting in shape is you. Whether its in a gym or not.

Strategic said:
The only person stopping you from getting in shape is you. Whether its in a gym or not.

+1

Best line yet!

punkd said:
You're right. You can do it with limited equipment. How ever if you want to get better results and get in shape quicker, then a proper work out routine should be followed.

Please define what you mean by "proper" routine. It is absolutely possible to get into shape and improve fitness with minimal equipemt (ie only using a chin bar, and a place to do dips), Navy SEALs use very little equipment for PT during BUD/S and they are incredibly fit.  Will you develop the phsyique of Arnie or Ronnie Coleman. No, but you don't need to have that kind of body to be fit. 

As mentioned this can be obtained from a trainer.
  Hopefully, not all trainers know what they are doing, but that is an older seperate discussion.

Although, if you don't have time to make it to the gym a few times a week then yes, a chin up bar is great to have. I do chinups in my workout routine on back/chest day.. I find they are great for the lats how ever so are barbell/dumbell rows, seated rows, lat pull downs. I just find it nice to have a selection, as well as isolate individual muscles.

I stopped going to the gym over a month ago, purhased a squat cage, bench, a barbell and some dumbells. I follow the crossfit program as close as possible (I don't have a row machine, or kettlebells).  I have lost about 10lbs of pudge, and can do more push ups, and way more pulls than I ever could before.  And yes rows of various kinds and pull downs do work your lats, the only way to get better at chin ups/pull ups is to actually do them.  I have seen it many times were the big bodybuilder type with the huge lats struggling to do just 2-3 pull-ups because they have never done them.

bodybuilders have difficulties doing chin-ups/pull-ups because of they rather heavy body mass (remember, those muscles weighs more than fat)

I personally think a bodybuilder makes a good soldier for the following reasons:
1. Can't move quickly due to massive body
2. They usually eat 5 - 6 meals  a day, I doubt with limited rations they can still maintain their strength

AtkinsonA, have your tried googling workouts? I found the following workouts from bodybuilding.com.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent5.htm

Note* I believe there are some typos within the workout plans.

midgetcop said:
GO!!! - small correction. You're going to need a dip bar to work on those chest/triceps, pushups or pullups are going to target the biceps/back. Both are excellent compound exercises, though.

No dip bar...just do dips off a kitchen chair.

Delta said:
bodybuilders have difficulties doing chin-ups/pull-ups because of they rather heavy body mass (remember, those muscles weighs more than fat)
Its not that it weighs more, muscle tissue is DENSER than fat.  10lbs of fat and 10lbs of muslce both weigh the same.

Delta said:

I personally think a bodybuilder makes a good soldier for the following reasons:
1. Can't move quickly due to massive body
2. They usually eat 5 - 6 meals  a day, I doubt with limited rations they can still maintain their strength

Note* I believe there are some typos within the workout plans.

I believe you may be mistaken.

Not all body builders are a solid 250-300 pounds of muscle,
some can move quite quickly, and have no problem getting thier BFT complete or getting exempt on thier express test,
They do not have to eat insane amounts of food, and with limited rations, no one maintains thier strength,
And trust me, they do make outstanding soldiers.

I personally think until you are actually in the military...full time, for longer then "since coffee break"....then you should not comment on who you think is a good soldier.

Back