• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How hard can an english course for a french guy???

OK I think I should Clarify the question about me.

When I asked the Questions, i was just wondering if I would to much of a challenge to follow my QL3 as a Supply in English as I am a Franco. The reason I was asking this is that If I wait for a french course, ill have to wait until may for the Summer training to begin in Valcartier for the Pres. I was considering asking my chain of command if it was possible to be putted on a course in (name base here) on a English course this winter as the 2 french course were full (the one starting on the 15Th of January in Borden and the one in April).

I was doubting my English skills to be good enough for me to follow a course in English, thus adding a stress more. Upon today, Allot of people on this fine website, gave some cue's that my skills seemed to be OK enough to be able to follow the course if my chain of command was able to nominate me on a English course.

Ill add that it would possibly give me even a better control of a important skill to my opinion.

Thanks for all of the info I got. If would have been a much more technical course (Like AVN tech), I would not even try. But as Vern pointed out, the supply system is often worked with the English terms anyway. :)  :salute:

mysteriousmind said:
OK I think I should Clarify the question about me.

When I asked the Questions, i was just wondering if I would to much of a challenge to follow my QL3 as a Supply in English as I am a Franco. The reason I was asking this is that If I wait for a french course, ill have to wait until may for the Summer training to begin in Valcartier for the Pres. I was considering asking my chain of command if it was possible to be putted on a course in (name base here) on a English course this winter as the 2 french course were full (the one starting on the 15Th of January in Borden and the one in April).

I was doubting my English skills to be good enough for me to follow a course in English, thus adding a stress more. Upon today, Allot of people on this fine website, gave some cue's that my skills seemed to be OK enough to be able to follow the course if my chain of command was able to nominate me on a English course.

Ill add that it would possibly give me even a better control of a important skill to my opinion.

Thanks for all of the info I got. If would have been a much more technical course (Like AVN tech), I would not even try. But as Vern pointed out, the supply system is often worked with the English terms anyway. :)  :salute:

I'm one of those who think you'd be fine on an English course, based upon your posts here.

One thing to consider - I know that I have better comprehension of French in written form as opposed to verbal.  This is because I can concentrate and take my time when something is written down - not possible when someone is speaking to me.  Just something to think about.

In other words - I COULD (slowly and painfully) struggle through a post here written in French - and be able to get the general gist of what was being put across (although I'd miss the nuances) - but I'd be completely unable to hold a conversation on the same subject.

I don't think such is the case for you - but all opinions here have been based on your facility in written English.  If your oral English is as good - you won't have a problem on course, and I think you'll be doing yourself a favour in the long run.

Good luck to you.

I think you would do just fine! I remember a lot of French guys in my course who chose an English course to improve their language skills. However, reverse the roles and put an English guy in an all French course and I am not so sure that would go over well.

ArmyVern said:
That being said, one will not usually find himself loaded onto a course not in their primary language if one does not have a valid language profile.

I've seen it happen in a couple of cases where pers volunteered for it -- but you MUST consider the implications of a "fail" (I've seen that too -- not good.) -- it IS a career course, don't take it lightly.

Unfortunately, reservists seldom have a valid language profile unless they chase after Class "B"s for a long time.

Glad to see I am not the only one with that Roy.  Must have been all those years of reading the french on the back of cereal boxes at breakfast.

stealthylizard said:
Glad to see I am not the only one with that Roy.  Must have been all those years of reading the french on the back of cereal boxes at breakfast.

Bingo.

And I imagine the same is true of our francophone cohorts (but in reverse).

Mysteriousmind, ditto to you being fine on an English course, I can't wait to have better control of French, looking forward to SLT very much.

Funny story along the bilingualism lines...almost all of my Platoon staff was Francophone (on an English serial) and while they all spoke good English, sometimes they needed help with a specific word, luckily there was a bilingual OCdt who was often called upon to help:

Platoon CO: ...and try not to make it look like a.....OCdt ********, what is the english word for "gagglef*ck?"
Voice from the back of ranks:.....Uuuuhhh.....gagglef*ck ma'am.

Well, It wont happen, a Pres guys wanting to go on  a Reg Force course isn't likely to happen. Its a money thing..if I go on a reg force course, my battalion is paying for it...and if I wait for the summer training it is the brigade paying...money wins over the guy wanting to pursue his career.

Altought I was lucky enough to get myself a B class until march 31 with a possible renew until may. I cannot cry or regret.

:)

First of all you need a basic understanding of your 2nd language.

After that, you need to make sure your course staff acquire reading material for you in your 1st language.

Ive done all my courses in french, now the last time i spoke french was grade 8, and let me tell you at the beginning you will get the `` is he an idiot`` look. Dont worry, the beauty of this is that as your training goes on, no matter what you will at least improve your communication skills, you cant really plateau!

Just remember its the army. Nothing is that difficult in class, and outside of the class most people can understand a message being distributed, whatever the language is, as long as it is done cofindantly

logan7979 said:
Just remember its the army. Nothing is that difficult in class

Really?  I wonder how people fail courses taken in their primary language then.  ::)
Be careful about the reading material in your language as well, I know of some publications that are not translated well and some that are not even the same as the English one.

PMedMoe said:
I know of some publications that are not translated well and some that are not even the same as the English one.

There are some hardcore French translations out there. Enough that my friends and I, when we're stumbling into
one, we don't ever wonder if we have feeble mind, not comprehending simple buildup instructions, just go automatically
for the original English, and it do wonder  :D!

It's look sometimes like if someone put the English version in an old translation program and never checked the results...
The "French" part is often hilarious.

PMedMoe said:
Really?  I wonder how people fail courses taken in their primary language then.  ::)
Be careful about the reading material in your language as well, I know of some publications that are not translated well and some that are not even the same as the English one.
I usually hang on to both versions AND refer to the other when it does not make sense OR when the manual goes against what I remember / what is common sense

From my experience, the offical translations are junk.  "Gunnery" is usually translated as "artillerie".  Junk.
For the courseware for the Turret Operator Course, it was developed concurrently in English and French.  Side by each by two IGs, one native anglo, the other native franco.  Too bad it can't all be done like that :(

mysteriousmind said:
Perhaps speaking out of my lane, but I have heard/read about francophone people ending up in a English environment and having a hard time there. Allot of people got laugh at, got ranted about, etc, etc, etc,

But thanks for your wisdom GUNS

I think more and more people in the military are learning to work together regardless of language background.  This has at least been what I have seen in my very limited experience.  Sure, everyone likes to bust balls a bit, but I think for the most part it's goodhearted. 

Back