• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Athabaskan

Actually there is indeed a key on board Halifax class; one for each GT and one for the PDE and other than the EO locking the keys in his/her safe, they are handled by on watch personnel only and controlled by the on watch EOOW.
That said, sorry Mods for wandering off topic.

If as Chief Stoker says, an FMF team ventured to Cape Breton on Friday, we might hear something soon. What a crying, frustrating shame this is for Athabaskan's crew. Unfortunatley for the crews of the other operational ships in Halifax, ATH's unscheduled repairs will indeed tie up resources planned for these other units thereby creating added headache for their crews as well as FMF personnel too.

There are 4 keys on the IRO class as well; one per propulsion gas turbine.

Hearing repairs are done, now just waiting for final contract details and assuming weather allows should be out of there soon.

Sure however this turns out it is going to be messy, wonder how soon someone will try and find a scapegoat? Sometimes stuff just happens, despite best laid plans.

I think Pat in Halifax is too humble calling himself a NCM.

He is, after all a Chief Petty Officer.

I think we can excuse both the Public affairs officer and the press for thinking that a team of officers would do the engine restart if their list told them that a team comprised of an Engineering Officer, a Chief Petty Officer, many Petty Officers and some seaman would do it and they would act as Engineering Officers of the Watch to return the ship to halifax.

The real sad thing here is that poor ATHABASKAN seem to be catching up to its WWII predecessor: the Unlucky Lady.

P.S. in re: two tons shackles: Harbour tugs are usually fendered from stem to stern, but not ocean going tugs or salvage tugs, which is the more likely type of tugs that would have been employed here, which would appear to be the case if the tug was the one we see behind ATHABASKAN in the CBC clip at the end, which you will note is barely fendered at the front.

Looks like they got her hull patched

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/novascotia/hmcs-athabaskans-damaged-hull-patched-up-1

I haven't been looking (admitedly) too hard and have only heard scuttlebut from a few people on board but it would appear that, as Adm Gardham stated on CTV the other night, the damage is not structural and is little more than a good jetty bashing (My perception of his words, NOT his words!) would have caused.
I guess they were working on the heat yesterday-Anyone in dkyd have any updated info (that is not restricted in nature)?

Pat

Pat in Halifax said:
I haven't been looking (admitedly) too hard and have only heard scuttlebut from a few people on board but it would appear that, as Adm Gardham stated on CTV the other night, the damage is not structural and is little more than a good jetty bashing (My perception of his words, NOT his words!) would have caused.
I guess they were working on the heat yesterday-Anyone in dkyd have any updated info (that is not restricted in nature)?

Pat

I was down by her this evening and they had heating units blowing warm air into the ship. Apparently when the work crews went on board they found icicles in some spaces.

Back