• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MERX WATCH: Bye bye Oberon Class Subs

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
MERX posting - .pdf attached if link doesn't work.
"The Crown has a requirement to dispose of the Oberon Class Submarines, quantity three (3), the ex-HTSM OLYMPUS, ex-HMCS OKANAGAN and the ex-HMCS OJIBWA .... The Oberon Class submarines are 1960's vintage submarines that are no longer required by Canada and were  decommissioned prior to 2001.  This Price and Availability is requested for the removal of three Oberon Class submarines from the HMC Dockyard, Jetty NL in Dartmouth Nova Scotia, the moving of the boats to an accreditied facility capable of drydocking, disposing of the three (3) Oberon Class Submarines as scrap by dismantling .... "

More on link

None to a museum? How sad.

it`s a shame not to see these boats go to a museum. i know when Australia decomissioned some of their O-boats they went to various towns and maritime museums. although the ones i served on probably got turned into razor blades

HMAS OTWAY
HMAS OVENS

ah the memories

Any option for private purchase and possible reuse under private control?

Greymatters said:
Any option for private purchase and possible reuse under private control?

The Columbian drug cartels had a similar idea some years ago....

http://www.submarineheritage.com/olympus.html

After serving with the Royal Navy for 27 years, Olympus was placed on the Disposals List and subsequently sold to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1989 for use as a training boat for Canadian submariners. Canada had a flotilla of three O-boats - HMCS Ojibwa, HMCS Okanagan and HMCS Onondaga - all of which had been built at Chatham Dockyard between 1962 and 1966 and had entered service in 1967-68.

In 2002, the Canadian Government disposals agency offered the Submarine Heritage Centre - a registered charity set up to create a submarine- themed visitor centre at Barrow the exclusive opportunity to bid for Olympus which they propose to transport to Barrow at a cost of approximately £600,000. Suitably mounted on dry land adjacent to Buccleuch Dock, Olympus would form the focal point of interest for visitors to the proposed new Heritage Centre

Guess the sale of Olympus fell through..... Too bad

Funny.. Ealier this week I seen HMCS Onondaga half way out the water.. sitting there in Rimouski.  :rofl:

I"ll see if I can bring up some photos.

Wikipedia Article on HMCS Onondaga

It's all fence off, so nooooooooooo you can't go over to the rocks and touch it. I tried.

Check out this thread for the latest on ONONDAGA
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/79468.0.html

Back