• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heavy Truck Purchase Announcement

Only 82 vehicles for over seas? That's it? I was thinking may be a tad more. Oh well, at less we are getting them now then never.

I think that a lot of our procurement process is targeted to a single mission right now - not planning on overall world committments beyond Afghanistan.... if we intend to go into a dangerous theatre, the planners expect that we will no longer be committed to ISAF at KAF - and the kit can thus be moved.

Note that this does not provide any inventory for training vehicles located in Canada.  Will training on the HLVW & the VHLVW be adequate?  How about what happens when vehicles are sent back to 3rd line Mtce.... or worse yet - back to 202 Work shops for a rebuild...

Is the solution realistic (or are we flying a bare bones "by the seat of the pants" program)?
8 gun tractors for the M777s... OK
12 Tank transporters..... Not bad, but not enough to move all Leo2s at any one time
Cargo carriers with HIABs... Not bad but only 17 spread out thru the Battle group?
PLS tiltables... Not bad, but is 40 enough spread out thru the Battle group
Recovery vehicles... not bad but is 5 enough spread out thru the Battle group?... hope they get a bunch of extra tow cables for reserve stock.

geo said:
I think that a lot of our procurement process is targeted to a single mission right now - not planning on overall world committments beyond Afghanistan.... if we intend to go into a dangerous theatre, the planners expect that we will no longer be committed to ISAF at KAF - and the kit can thus be moved.
UOR purchases for Afghanistan are just that: for Afghanistan.  Permanent needs will be met by projects given time to deliver the 95% (or better) solution.  UORs are rushed through with more of an emphasis is on getting something fast & so in a lot of cases we may be getting the only the 75% solution.

newfin said:
IIRC I believe I read somewhere that they are going to be in theatre starting at the next rotation - which is in Feb/08? 
... the trucks will be a little later.

MCG said:
UOR purchases for Afghanistan are just that: for Afghanistan.  Permanent needs will be met by projects given time to deliver the 95% (or better) solution.  UORs are rushed through with more of an emphasis is on getting something fast & so in a lot of cases we may be getting the only the 75% solution.
... the trucks will be a little later.
MCG
You're right as usual..... the order is for kit that is more or less "off the shelf" & ready to go.
This caused a bit of a problem with the RG31s we got for Afghanistan.  Limited supply of spares while the vehicles are being used in a terrain less than ideal for long term upkeep.

Just finished the course on these trucks and let me say that they are VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! It is about time we got something like this! The reason for the limited numbers is that LMT can't produce the cabs fast enough for us. The contract was signed sometime in April or may and the first trucks arrived in Edm in late Oct early Nov. That is AMAZING!!! Usually it takes years and years of reseach and testing and by the time we get the equipment it is outdated! This veh is state of the art and way more than we need!! The cab is amazing comfort is second to none and the protection level is [ModEdit to remove commentary on protection levels of multiple vehicle types] !! Don't worry about the auto tranny, it takes all the guess work out of driving for the truckers. Us Mechs love the new wrecker!! It is an incredible piece of kit!! It has a manual tranny as does the tractor variant. The only auto is the PLS and the cargo. I can't wait to deploy with this truck!! I will let y'all know how it preforms in theatre!!

yea i did the course as well. Didnt get very much seat time but that what happens when the course is 3 days long. as previously stated this truck is wild.  i feel way more safe in this then the HL. Im going to be driving it with the M777 on the back so it will be Fairly long. It should be good tho

QuIcKeR said:
yea i did the course as well. Didnt get very much seat time but that what happens when the course is 3 days long. as previously stated this truck is wild.  i feel way more safe in this then the HL. Im going to be driving it with the M777 on the back so it will be Fairly long. It should be good tho

Please don't use MSM speach please....

Anyone from out West have any pictures of the ones you where doing training on?

Robbie said:
Anyone from out West have any pictures of the ones you where doing training on?

Check the Maple Leaf I am pretty sure I saw a picture of it in there, there is a web link for the Maple Leaf but I can't remember it

241 said:
Check the Maple Leaf I am pretty sure I saw a picture of it in there, there is a web link for the Maple Leaf but I can't remember it

Thanks!

Aahhh, we can do A LOT better than the "Maple Leaf."  Here she is (Our new wrecker), in action doing what she was designed to do.....may I also Say this machine IS pretty much idling through all of this....there was NEVER ANY need to actually work this machine during our trials/course!!!!!  We got to drive'er for about a week!

Faces and cfr's have been digitally manipulated to prevent incriminating those involved!

I have PLENTY (thousands)  of pics from time of arrival via Antonov to actual use.....this IS going to be my job for about the next 8 months, IN THEATRE.  My sentiments are shared trade wide in safely saying that THESE machines meet and exceed our requirements for quite a while to come.  EXCELLENT purchase that was long overdue.....one final pic indicating exactly why the HL's time has BOTH come AND gone. 

ARMY1FIN.jpg

ARMY1FIN2.jpg

ARMY1FIN3.jpg

ARMY1FIN4.jpg

ARMY1FIN5.jpg

hl1.jpg

hl2.jpg

Through no fault of their own, (due to necessity of training pers) but have ANY of you guys EVER experienced an HLVW wheeled driver course at CFSAL in January/February when the school starts about 20 to 30 of these trucks up at once....NO-ONE can breath a breath of clean fresh air on the Southside of Borden for the remainder of the morning till the air LITERALLY CLEARS!!!!!!!!!!    Like I said....the HL's time has COME and GONE!

At least you guys could get them started out here with -50 they could not get them all going.

6v53taddec said:
Through no fault of their own, (due to necessity of training pers) but have ANY of you guys EVER experienced an HLVW wheeled driver course at CFSAL in January/February when the school starts about 20 to 30 of these trucks up at once....NO-ONE can breath a breath of clean fresh air on the Southside of Borden for the remainder of the morning till the air LITERALLY CLEARS!!!!!!!!!! 

Nice pictures.  Energetic pep talk.  However, your inexperience is showing with this above statement.  Anyone who has been around any large number of Diesel vehicles will have gone through this type of experience at some time, so it is not restricted solely to the HL.  Some of that problem can be alleviated by a proper start up in cold weather conditions.  The Pre-Lube and warming up of Glow Plugs can cut down on a lot of that "polution".

these truck will not replace the HLVW in canada. right now they are for theater of ops and training here in canada

Back