• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heavy Truck Purchase Announcement

newfin said:
Does anyone have a good link to some in-depth info on these trucks?  I have been searching the net and can find very little.  CASR has some info.  I would like to know who else is using these machines.  Are there any in Afghanistan that our guys have seen?  If so, what do they think of them?

the only other location that I have found any really substantial information was from the D-C website and it was for the commercial ver not the mil-ver. the other location http://www.army-technology.com/contractors/vehicles/daimler_chrysler/ has very limited info

I have seen video of the new UK Army truck being trialled during ballistic tests and its pretty impressive. Not the same company as this one mentioned but the protection levels are mentioned on it. The trial involved different calibers of rounds fired at different parts of the cab, some even at the previous impact point, as well as explosive placed near the armour itself to mimic mines. But no matter what is produced to defeat known devices, the bad guys will only come up with bigger and better. A 155mm shell under a road culvert more or less takes out anything driving over it, but if the guys inside survive then job done!

Any landing where a pilot / driver can walk away from the wreck is a good landing.

geo said:
Any landing where a pilot / driver can walk away from the wreck is a good landing.

Any landing/drive where the pilot/driver can walk away is a good landing/drive.

Any landing/drive where the pilot/driver can walk away and the airplane/truck can be used again is a great landing/drive.

newfin said:
...Are there any in Afghanistan that our guys have seen?  If so, what do they think of them?

The only thing I have heard about these new trucks, is that TF 1-08 will be the first ones to trial them. They're sending (20 i think) trucks over here to Edmonton so 1-08 truckers can start training on them

geo said:
+1, of course... ;D
CDN Aviator said:
Any landing/drive where the pilot/driver can walk away is a good landing/drive.

Any landing/drive where the pilot/driver can walk away and the airplane/truck can be used again is a great landing/drive.
So long as one gets to walk away and not carried...who cares about the equipment...unless it's your last one??!! 8)

ouyin2000 said:
The only thing I have heard about these new trucks, is that TF 1-08 will be the first ones to trial them.
First to trial, or first to train on?  If anyone was doing trials, they should have been done before we bought . . .  & there is another thread about large HL types being seen trialed in Gagetown a few months back.

I had a chance to speak with Major Lyna Gravel, the project director for the AHSVS, just over a week ago - but I only got a chance to write about the project today:

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/05/keep-on-truckin.html

Most of the information in my piece is already in the public domain, but I'm not sure it's been pulled together into one place before.  Follow the links in the piece if you're really interested.

Feel free to correct me if I've made any glaring mistakes - I'm not an expert on heavy, armoured supply trucks!

I think we should have got the Oshkosh HET and the PLS Truck. But since we didn't I wonder if the ENGR's are getting the Tractor for there eqpt hauling.

http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/defense/products~pls~home.cfm#

http://www.oshkoshtruck.com/defense/products~het~home.cfm

CHIMO

Does the link http://www.lmt.co.za/product_cab.htm still work for anyone else? I've had no luck, wherever I have tried it.

Abs

Abs said:
Does the link http://www.lmt.co.za/product_cab.htm still work for anyone else? I've had no luck, wherever I have tried it.

Abs

Dead for me aswell. As is the root website for the company.

Hmm...does anyone have the information saved somewhere? I would really like to have a look at it. :)

Abs

So has there been updates as too when these will be arriving in theatre?

IIRC I believe I read somewhere that they are going to be in theatre starting at the next rotation - which is in Feb/08? 

Here's another question - does anyone know of another military that has these trucks with the armored cabs?  Can you point me to pictures?

Here Is some Info on the newly acquired Heavy Truck
It will replace the HLVW on Overseas operations only the HLVW was designed as an unarmoured cargo vehicle which when up armoured looses its payload capacity, so a truck designed for payload operations and fully armoured is the logical choice, I'm glad theyhave gone to this option I'm only a little disappointed it took so long.

Armoured Heavy Support Vehicle System (AHSVS)...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scope...

The Canadian Force's heavy logistics requirement is currently provided by a fleet of more than 1,200 unarmoured Heavy Logistics Vehicle Wheeled (HLVW) trucks that were procured in the late 1980s. In the 1990s, during operations in the Balkans, the threat of small arms fire, grenades and blast mines led the Army to develop an armour protection system (APS) for the HLVW. The APS components are made of steel, ceramic and ballistic glass. These components are extremely heavy and could only be designed to defeat the most minor of threats without seriously degrading the payload capacity and functionality of the vehicle.

The AHSVS will be replacing the HLVWs that are presently in Afghanistan. This acquisition will provide the Canadian Forces with a protected, robust heavy logistics vehicle that can be used on deployed operations around the globe for years to come. The HLVW fleet will continue to service Canadian troops in areas where there is a lower threat environment.

The Armoured Heavy Support Vehicle System (AHSVS) will have an immediate impact on how the CF can support operations. They will provide high levels of crew protection, incorporating mine blast resistance and protection against both IEDs and ballistic threats.

Project Description...

The AHSVS will be employed in the conduct of combat service support and combat tasks. This includes towing the M777 Lightweight Towed Howitzer and its basic ammunition load, transporting general cargo, such as humanitarian supplies, recovering all vehicles up to the LAVIII, transporting tanks and delivering bulk water and fuel.

Initial delivery of the AHSVS to Afghanistan will commence in Feb 2008, with final delivery anticipated for May 2008. In total, the project will provide the CF with 82 vehicles. The AHSVS will be broken down into four main variants:

25 cargo with material handling crane variant vehicles (of which eight will be gun tractors for the M777);
Five recovery variant vehicles;
12 heavy tank transporter tractor variant vehicles; and
40 palletized loading system (PLS)  variant vehicles with container handling unit (10 petroleum, oils, and lubricants variants and five water variants).
The contract also includes an option of procuring an additional 26 AHSVS of various variants

Characteristics / Equipment...

General Specifications

Speed:  85 km/hr on two per cent slope, fully laden
Range: 732 km
Payload: 16 tonnes
Towed load: 30 tonnes
Engine: 503 hp, eight-cylinder
Transmission:16 speed automatic and semi-automatic
Fuel capacity: 600 litres

http://dglepm.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dsvpm/SMP/English/ahsvs/Download/Delivered.pdf

Back