• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearing talk that Salt and Peppers are leaving too

Actually the USN just began issue to its technicians for a fire retardant coverall for about $100 a pair. I am reviewing a BN a young fella put in for us to do an OPEVAL on them. The BN is at STS(A) right now. If I can find the link (again!), I will put it on here....after I talk to the Flt CPO about the title of this thread!

Pat

From MARLANT Flt CPO:

"Pat

The plan is to move to a daily dress for all personnel from DEU to operational. ie: NCDs for daily wear on a daily basis."

I guess that's that

As well, in regard to the BN for shipboard coveralls for MSE personnel, an exerpt from the BN (NOte that this was the first draft):

The proposal is to adopt (Ship board only) for at-sea and alongside wear while employed within the MSE department, the US Naval pattern Flame Resistant Coveralls: (http://www.public.navy.mil/usff/Pages/frv.aspx). The optimal wear duration of 18-24 months is comparable to NCDs but the fact that this example is being massed produced for wear by all USN sailors means that the cost savings would likely be substantial if we were to ‘jump on the bandwagon’ in this procurement.  Ease of dressing and comfort for long term wear are touted as two examples of the further benefits these would afford.

Costs:
NCD Shirt -                          $50.68
NCD Jacket -                  $148.81
NCD Pants -                        $105.85
Grey Coveralls -              $39.77
Coveralls – FF -                $142.00
(FF, Sub and NBP)

Pat in Halifax said:
From MARLANT Flt CPO:

"Pat

The plan is to move to a daily dress for all personnel from DEU to operational. ie: NCDs for daily wear on a daily basis."

I guess that's that

Is that a MARPAC/MARLANT issue or RCN wide?

Still wouldn't affect ADM(Mat) and other units outside RCN lines I guess, just seems like a giant waste of money when funds are tight.

Coveralls for on the ship would be great though; awesome to jump into quickly and pretty comfortable. 

Pat in Halifax said:
From MARLANT Flt CPO:

"Pat

I guess that's that

FFS. Well then they can charge me for all I care. I'm in a bloody office ashore, this so god damn stupid on so many levels.

The optimal wear duration of 18-24 months is comparable to NCDs but the fact that this example is being massed produced for wear by all USN sailors means that the cost savings would likely be substantial if we were to ‘jump on the bandwagon’ in this procurement. 

What are the chances of that do you think? ;D

Pat in Halifax said:
From MARLANT Flt CPO:

"Pat

I guess that's that

Thank you for checking into the scuttlebutt.  Sometimes the rumours do have legs.  I wonder how long it will be until everyone on ship will be wearing coveralls?  I would wager it will spread to everyone eventually if they're more economical.  Once you open the door to one thing...

jollyjacktar said:
Thank you for checking into the scuttlebutt.  Sometimes the rumours do have legs.  I wonder how long it will be until everyone on ship will be wearing coveralls?  I would wager it will spread to everyone eventually if they're more economical.  Once you open the door to one thing...

So I am still confused. Will everyone at the schools and headquarters be wearing NCD's as well? Officers and Chiefs?
Or is this just for CANFLTLANT personnel?

jollyjacktar said:

Interesting. 

The RAN had overalls as shipboard dress for a while (a decade?).  They then changed them to the current blotchy 2-piece camo (DPNU - Disruptive Pattern Naval Uniform).  I guess they weren't that popular after all  ???

FSTO said:
So I am still confused. Will everyone at the schools and headquarters be wearing NCD's as well? Officers and Chiefs?
Or is this just for CANFLTLANT personnel?

I am at the DC Division at the moment.  I've always worn NCDs as I cannot get coveralls through the system.  That is my normal dress of the day.  I've just graduated from my 6B today, with the exception of the DC phase we were in S&P.  First time having that as dress of the day like that, ever.

Dress of the day for most of the instructors and students at CFNES, MSE-wise, is NCD.

If I read Pat's reply from the Fleet Chief correctly, it's going to apply to everyone.  Now how correct this is, and if so, how far beyond MARLANT's domain... :dunno: 

Hopefully, Pat will clarify things.

Dimsum said:
Interesting. 

The RAN had overalls as shipboard dress for a while (a decade?).  They then changed them to the current blotchy 2-piece camo (DPNU - Disruptive Pattern Naval Uniform).  I guess they weren't that popular after all  ???

IIRC, there was a trial some years past where a crew was wearing coveralls for the period.  From what I gather, they were well received overall with the exception of the ladies.  They found it to be a pain to wear for heads usage.  The idea of adoption was shot down by the upper echelons as they didn't like the idea of its appearance.  With zippered boots and coveralls,  close up times were vastly improved.  As it stands now the only sailors who wear them outside of the subs and NBP are my trade when they're with the HCR det.

Fascinating.  I just got posted to DC Div....wonder how this will hit me....

jollyjacktar said:
The idea of adoption was shot down by the upper echelons as they didn't like the idea of its appearance.  With zippered boots and coveralls,  close up times were vastly improved. 

Because operational clothing that will save your life should be adopted or not because of how they look.  :facepalm:

Dimsum said:
Because operational clothing that will save your life should be adopted or not because of how they look.  :facepalm:

IIRC, the quote we heard was something like "sailors don't want zippers, they want buttons, shirts and trousers" as they reasons why the very highly placed folks said "no". 

Now to be truthful, our NCD are safe, they're just not as speedy to put on as coveralls are.  Each have their benefits and drawbacks, but I do know that overall we are the envy of most folks because we can wear them at sea while we're assigned as HCRFF.  We've since at least adopted side zippered hot weather sea boots which go along way towards speeding up close up times for action/emergency stations.  Small steps in the right direction.  All good.

Dimsum said:

That madness started because some lazy bums wanted to be able to come into work in their work clothes. They weren't happy that they could come to work wearing civilian clothes, they certainly were not happy that they could come into work wearing N3's. They wanted to be able to come into work wearing their work clothes and not have to change. Didn't matter if they were bosn's, stokers, or stores (all trades who usually became dirty when they do their jobs), they felt it was too "inconvenient" for them to change when the work day was done.

So now we had a combat dress that has become "Walking Out Dress", which if MARLANT has its way will become "Office Attire".  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I beg to differ, FSTO.  Most guys and gals, don't want to come to work in uniform here in Halifax.  They wear civilian attire.  If I was to come in walking out dress it would be 3B, which I would then have to change into NCD to do my job.  That, is a pain in the a$$.  I don't want to be going into work/coming home dressed as the Good Humour Ice Cream Man, thank you very much.  If needs be, I'll dress in 3B once there, not before.

I have no issue with people coming into work wearing civilian attire. I do have an issue with people wearing soiled and wrinkled NCDs, faded caps and scuffed boots (and I know that you maintain a high standard of NCD).

FSTO said:
I have no issue with people coming into work wearing civilian attire. I do have an issue with people wearing soiled and wrinkled NCDs, faded caps and scuffed boots (and I know that you maintain a high standard of NCD).

I too have an issue with anyone looking like a bag o'rags, when they shouldn't be.  Agreed.

FSTO said:

I was at an interdepartmental meeting in Ottawa just last week. Suits, ties, DEUs, and the one "operational" guy in fairly greasy looking, greenish NCDs.

Bring on the future, I say.

Back