• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearing talk that Salt and Peppers are leaving too

jollyjacktar said:
The  ::) east coast doesn't have the market cornered on silly ideas and rumors to be fair.  I have been subjected to plenty of  ::) decisions arising from the left coast with their decisions on training etc.  Not to mention,  ::) ::) the puzzle palace, where I am headed next.

Before you head to Ottawa you should get your eyes checked. You seem to have some sort of nervous tic thing going on.  >:D

I thought that CANFORGEN was for the Naval Centennial year only. I recall the Stewards (then) in Borden fighting a lost battle with Command there for a very short time.
Again, Flt Chief is back Monday-I will attempt to clarify this.

Pat

Privateer said:
Blueberry cam (a la USN) is useless operationally, unless you are doing battle in a Pop Tart factory. 

I need a new keyboard now.  Thank you for that!  ;D

Harrigan

Underway said:
May I direct you to the USN and RAN for current navy examples that wear a camo pattern. I'm sure some SW Asian Navies do as well (Singapore??).  As someone who has and still does interact with the public regularly in a Navy uniform far away from the coast not even being recognized as being in the military is extremely frustrating.  The only uniform that is instantly recognized as Navy is the whites, (thank you Top Gun).  Even DEU's look like civi pilot uniforms.  If they brought back square rig that would surely help for NCM's.  Its about brand recognition and right now the RCN brand is overly expensive not working subs.  The public doesn't even recognize their sailors in uniform. /RANT

Edited for spelling and grammar...

For what its worth, it seems to me the new RCAF leather jacket has improved the "brand" in the public eye at least.  For all its shortcomings, the public has been led to expect (yes, by Top Gun and the like) that pilots (who apparently are 100% of the RCAF) to be in a leather jacket.  I am not casting judgement on the jacket per se, just that it likely seems more natural to the civvies in my opinion. 

I have always thought that the Navy uniforms have always looked sharp (though I have always wondered how wearing ballcaps in uniform in town is allowed)

Harrigan

Harrigan said:
I have always thought that the Navy uniforms have always looked sharp (though I have always wondered how wearing ballcaps in uniform in town is allowed)

Harrigan

That is why they are referred to as ship's caps (in the proper sense). Why would we wear a ball cap-We are not playing ball! All that sad, I am pretty sure that was brought in as the ship's cap provides for a Unit identifier and in many cases, that is a pride piece; otherwise the salt and pepper version has no Unit and though the NCD jacket does, you need to be 6" away to see the Unit and even then, some might be a tad obscure (CCFL/P, CFNES/OS, FMF etc) unless of course you are an old salt like some on here and can identify ship's crests from a distance. Again even then....for a while we had three ships with the same/similar crest only a different colour; OTTAWA, TORONTO and GATINEAU.

Pat

Harrigan: for several years I wore a cap like this ~

bushh.jpg

Canadian Army "bush" cap - standard issue from 1950 until about 1965.

~ my cap badge was different, but it was a cloth cap with an "identifier" on it, not all that different from a "ship's cap" today. It was practical, comfortable and 'smart,' what uniforms ought to be.

My only objection to sailors wearing NCDs in offices and, equally, to soldiers wearing CADPAT combat uniforms in their offices is cost: as someone else said, a cotton shirt, a pair of gabardine trousers and a pair of issue oxfords or ankle boots costs a HUGE amount less than NCDs or combats ~ we don't need to waste that money trying to make people "feel" more operational.

Ah, the Bush Cap, with tabbed flaps to be dropped to shield the back of the neck from the sun (never, ever saw/used that). The flap would be starched flat and then folded and ironed into a sharp crease at the top.

The purchased stiffener (emplaced, then the cap immersed in water) to give a stretched smooth look and slightly curved brill, followed by the ironing of the flap.

And the purchased aluminum small pack/ammo pouch frames to give a squared off, smart look to the fighting order on parade.

The old peace-time army with some in authority running amuck. ;D

Rifleman62 said:
Ah, the Bush Cap, with tabbed flaps to be dropped to shield the back of the neck from the sun (never, ever saw/used that). The flap would be starched flat and then folded and ironed into a sharp crease at the top.

The purchased stiffener (emplaced, then the cap immersed in water) to give a stretched smooth look and slightly curved brill, followed by the ironing of the flap.

And the purchased aluminum small pack/ammo pouch frames to give a squared off, smart look to the fighting order on parade.

True ... especially in Depot and so on, but some (maybe even many) RSMs and CSMs were far more interested in tactical/operational skills and knowledge and in working equipment and in seeing spit shone boots day-in and day-out. We still had spit shone boots, and we could square bash with any army, anywhere, any time, but we could also outdo almost any army, anywhere, any time at soldiering in the field. I can recall, very well, polishing - spit polishing - the (leather) soles of my boots (I did my junior NCO course with the Guards) and so on, I can also recall wiping the floor in an international patrol competition with the best that NATO could send our way.

And garrison dress was bush pants, shirt, high neck sweater in fall/winter/spring, bush cap (year 'round in some units) and jump smock (for those authorized) or parka shell when the weather required them. We managed to look smart and be comfortable at the same time ... despite having old kit.

Rifleman62 said:

Don't forget the piece of coat hanger wire used to stiffen the brim. By the way, the shirt in the photo is not contemporary as the issue shirt had epaulettes plus two buttons just below the collar to keep it flat by doing up each side of the collar against the shirt body when not wearing a tie.

E.R. Campbell said:
Harrigan: for several years I wore a cap like this ~

bushh.jpg

Canadian Army "bush" cap - standard issue from 1950 until about 1965.

~ my cap badge was different, but it was a cloth cap with an "identifier" on it, not all that different from a "ship's cap" today. It was practical, comfortable and 'smart,' what uniforms ought to be.

'Smarter' if you blocked it with a 'birdcage' ;)

E.R. Campbell said:
My only objection to sailors wearing NCDs in offices and, equally, to soldiers wearing CADPAT combat uniforms in their offices is cost: as someone else said, a cotton shirt, a pair of gabardine trousers and a pair of issue oxfords or ankle boots costs a HUGE amount less than NCDs or combats ~ we don't need to waste that money trying to make people "feel" more operational.

I agree completely on the NCDs/CADPATs in offices from a cost perspective. 

Harrigan

E.R. Campbell said:
"feel"[/u] more operational.

That is reason why I am so hard over against wearing NCD/CBTS/Flight suits in the office environments. You are in the the Canadian Armed Forces for christ sake. If wearing a certain piece of clothing is what is required to make people more effective supporting the lads and lassies at the coal face, then we as a profession are really FUBAR'd and is in dire need of a major reset.

Are we sure that everyone in Ottawa is allowed to wear NCDs/CADPAT/Flight Suits?  My understanding was that one had to wear DEUs within NDHQ, but the operational clothing was allowed at CJOC (as the Operational HQ)?  Certainly all of the folks I have met at 101 Colonel By were in DEU's.

Alos, perhaps a more valid question is why it costs $600 plus for a set of CADPATs.  That seems ridiculously costly to me, though I am no fashion expert.

Harrigan

Harrigan said:
Are we sure that everyone in Ottawa is allowed to wear NCDs/CADPAT/Flight Suits?  My understanding was that one had to wear DEUs within NDHQ, but the operational clothing was allowed at CJOC (as the Operational HQ)?  Certainly all of the folks I have met at 101 Colonel By were in DEU's.

Alos, perhaps a more valid question is why it costs $600 plus for a set of CADPATs.  That seems ridiculously costly to me, though I am no fashion expert.

Harrigan

Ottawa these days is about 50-50 on what to wear to work. Different chains of command pass on their own dress standards at the 30 or so worksites we have in the NCR (Ottawa is way more than 101 Colonel By and Startop). I twice worked downtown in the main NDHQ building (101) -- for two different units -- both times my dress of the day was Cadpat.

Ostrozac said:
Ottawa these days is about 50-50 on what to wear to work. Different chains of command pass on their own dress standards at the 30 or so worksites we have in the NCR (Ottawa is way more than 101 Colonel By and Startop). I twice worked downtown in the main NDHQ building (101) -- for two different units -- both times my dress of the day was Cadpat.

It was that Sgts (Army) and below were permitted wearing CADPAT, depending on where they worked.  WO and above were to wear DEU, although there were exceptions when and where so employed.

And that is the policy at my future workplace in Gatineau (except exchange Naval for Army ranks/dress).

When I visited DLR a few months ago, the majority of personal were wearing Cadpat.

dangerboy said:
When I visited DLR a few months ago, the majority of personal were wearing Cadpat.

DLR = Army = CADPAT

DGLEPM = ADM(Mat) = DEU

There are also a handful of gentlemen in DLR who appear to be trying out the extra-large maternity CADPAT, so wide is their girth.

In addition to being a somewhat unique design in terms of cut and construction, CADPAT clothing also has anti-IR and flame resistance treatments that makes it much more expensive than conventional clothing.  These are the chief reasons it costs approximately $600.00 per set.  There are similar reasons contributing to the high price of NCDs.

A pair of blue Nomex (FR) coveralls at Marks will run you about $300 to $400, safety stuff isn't cheap.

Back