• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

having trouble adding reps

OK, I will try doing this routine every second day for 3-5 sets of max with 7-10 second breaks. If it got you up to 85 from 50 in a month and a half it should work good. I have till the summer for the BMQ so that is like 3 months, so I should be able to bring my max up a lot. My goal is to go from the 27 I can do now to 50 by summer. Think that is possible? I hope so. If this works as good as your results for me I am going to be a very happy person.

Thanks

Just keep at it and you'll hit the mark you want...maybe even surpass it. If you can add at least 5 reps to your first set every week you should be doing fine.

thanks, I will try very hard to increase my first set by 5 each week

thank you, you have been a lot  help

there is so many diffrent ways to get better at pushups, I am going to stick with the 7-10 second rest one for a while, but thank you for the idea. Do you think it would be overtraining to do both. I really dont thing 5 sets of max is enough for a workout, but I could be wrong, it may take alot less than I thought

I do all my push-ups while wearing my ruck (full). I find it more challenging (and entertaining) than a regular joe push-up. 45 Ruck push-ups will translate into 60-70 without the ruck.

I just did 30(proud of myself), but after waiting 10 seconds I did 3 and fell(gave out). Though I don't dowt that it works but I don't think my muscles are made for such little breaks. I might try peramids. I think my muscles need longer breaks

I was having a similar problem as you till one of the pte. at my unit told me about real world str.  Doing huge numbers of pushups looks and sounds great but the best way i have found to increase my ability to do pushups is simply by doing dead walks.  Now the aptly named "Dead walk" is quite simple to preform.  All you need is a large amount of weight and somewhere to carry it to and fro.  I find that large bags work best.  I started using 20kg bags of dog chow and have worked my way up to 30kg bags of rice if i feel like a good challenge.  A sand bag (fertilizer would also work but the smell of manure may just make the dead walk even more fatale) would also work.  Anyway you carry the bag for about 1k in your arms without setting it down, you may switch positions or even put it on your shoulders to give your arms a bit of a breather but you should do your best not to drop it (if you cant keep it off the ground try using a smaller bag)  I recommend using a bear hug as long as you can and then switch to an underarm carry.  Then after about a K set it down, drink some water and let your heart rate recover back to resting (about the same time it takes for you to return to normal breathing) then pick it back up and head on home.  Ive been doing this about 3 times week in addition to some cardio and core training and have worked my way up from just being able to do 20 to 40-42 if i really push myself.  (PS remember to do most of your lifting with your arms/legs or if your careful the back with proper technique)

DiamondDarryl said:
As for diet, i have been drinking lots of milk obviosly and trying to take in atleast 3 eggs a day. Any tips on some meals would be great. I am the tall and thin if that helps. 6'3 and 185lbs.

No Offence but whats three eggs a day goona do for you, i dont mean to harp but if your serious about training, Diet is Just as important as working out, if not more important.

so right now you can only do 23 pushups, and you are Plateaud...try doing wide pushups, diamond pushups.  also get into a GYM and start trasining with Weights..

have you read my thread Blisters Shin Splints and PT? There are a number of tips on push-up variations.

Start adding weight to your push-ups. Put a plate on your back and do them. Do weighted dips, both hanging, and on a bench. If your goal is to increase the number of push-ups, you don't want to add size. That simply increases the force of gravity on yourself. You want to stay light. Don't increase your caloric intake.

Back