• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hate Crime?

Danjanou

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
I don‘t know if anyone else has been following this. I have for the past week and have found it fascinating, in the kind of way that motorists find car wrecks they drive by fascinating. I just haven‘t been able to stop reading it. Especially in light of what has been happening here in Toronot of late.

Basically a Professor at a Southern California University was giving a lecture/speech whatever on freedom speech and racism and came back to find her car covered in racist comments.

She fired a police report, screaming hate crimes etc. (The professor in question from all accounts is shall we politely say slight left of the average members of this board in her political slant).

There were of course a couple of days of student demos in support of this poor professor and against the racists that perpetuated the crime. These included shutting down 5 seperate campus
sites for a day.

The kicker is that a couple of witnesses have come forward who saw who spray painted the car. Surprise it was the prof herself. Local police want her charged with filing a false police report and are considering other charges (is it a hate crime when you do it to yourself?).

The prof, who is on paid leave now denies the allegations.

Anyway here‘s the links to the whole sordid story:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0318obesity18.html

http://island.pomona.edu/tsl/article.aspx?articleID=156

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/Stories/0,1413,206~22097~2024737,00.html

http://ktla.trb.com/news/local/la-me-dunn21mar21,0,2865031.story?coll=ktla-newslocal-1

That‘s funny and screwed up. This should probably go in the off-topic forum.

Originally posted by scm77:
[qb] That‘s funny and screwed up. This should probably go in the off-topic forum. [/qb]
What are you smoking?
It is in off Topic Forum Numpty!!!

I wonder if they would be so tolerant if it had been a white MALE professor that was accused of this act?

this is just the kinda of crap that i hate especially whats going on in toronto...

I dont know if anyone else realizes, but i have noticed in some examples about how members of the cf have cracked jokes in regards to jewish people. I myself am jewish and was converted when adopted so i dont look like the "typical" jew but i find this stuff extremely dissappointing and distasteful any of you experienced something like this?

Tpr Orange,

You‘ve got your SHARP trg and know the ropes. If you feel that strongly, you know the response "Stop, that offends me". If they persist, you know your options. Most times it boils down to who you want to hang with, how you want to be perceived by your peers, etc. It‘s a difficult choice and only one that you can make, if you want to make a difference.

Better yet, punch the guy in the face for being an ignorant prick, the yappy ones are usually those that can be sorted out with a kick to the teeth (a solution my Platoon Warrant has hung over the heads of the troops).

Alright I‘m gonna tell this story, I‘ll leave out how it was resolved just becuase...well just because.
To start, I‘m half arab/muslim and I look completely Anglo.

Pte. moron upon being issued his C7:
"I‘m gonna shoot me some Arabs!"
Che
"What‘s that Pte Moron?"
Pte. Moron
"you know, bag me a camel jockey, carpet riding Arab"
Che:
*all that‘s left of our dear Che is his outline as he has taken off down the hall for fear of burying Pte. Moron into a drill square*

SO Tpr. Orange you‘re not alone, there are morons in any organisation, the CF is certainly no exception.

When I joined my regiment, I was told there‘s one colour of skin - Davidson Tartan.

Also, I don‘t identify myself by saying I‘m "nationality/religion" - I prefer to just say that I‘m Canadian. To me, religion is something one practices with family and friends at home or in a place of worship; it‘s not worn on the sleeve or as a chip on the shoulder.

My friends come in assorted shapes, sizes, colours, and celebrate varied religious holidays.
Similarly, the people I dislike, despise, and detest also come in the same assortment.
I don‘t stereotype my friends, nor my non-friends.

Oddly enough, I have no idea what shape/size/colour/religion most of this forum‘s members are, and frankly ... I don‘t give a darn.
This is where we engage in intellectual discussion, and therefore intellect is key.
Personality, attitude, sense of humour ... are all icing on the cake.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Originally posted by bossi:
[qb] When I joined my regiment, I was told there‘s one colour of skin - Davidson Tartan.

Also, I don‘t identify myself by saying I‘m "nationality/religion" - I prefer to just say that I‘m Canadian. To me, religion is something one practices with family and friends at home or in a place of worship; it‘s not worn on the sleeve or as a chip on the shoulder.

My friends come in assorted shapes, sizes, colours, and celebrate varied religious holidays.
Similarly, the people I dislike, despise, and detest also come in the same assortment.
I don‘t stereotype my friends, nor my non-friends.

Oddly enough, I have no idea what shape/size/colour/religion most of this forum‘s members are, and frankly ... I don‘t give a darn.
This is where we engage in intellectual discussion, and therefore intellect is key.
Personality, attitude, sense of humour ... are all icing on the cake.

Thank you for allowing me to vent. [/qb]
Touche Bossi.

Bossi, couldn‘t agree more.

Its funny, race or any of those other issues never seem to be an issue with good units and soldiers. One of my good buds is black, and we swap jokes that would set off the SHARP alarms because when it comes down to it, we know the number one factor is that we are both troops willing to fight shoulder to shoulder with eachother.

This is why all those CF survey‘s coming from Ottawa piss me off so much when they ask you to "identify" yourself. If the CF trys to pretend race/religion/sex doesn‘t matter, than why do they constantly do things like that?

When i did my interview they asked me if i had a problem with people who were gay, or of a different colour of skin and my response is simple...as long as there doing a good job i could care less what colour they are or what there sexual orientation is...just do good work and show up on time is all i ask *nods* i dislike people who have no work ethic and are not dependable.

Originally posted by recceguy:
[qb]
Tpr Orange,

You‘ve got your SHARP trg and know the ropes. If you feel that strongly, you know the response "Stop, that offends me". If they persist, you know your options. Most times it boils down to who you want to hang with, how you want to be perceived by your peers, etc. It‘s a difficult choice and only one that you can make, if you want to make a difference.

[/qb]
I dealt with the issue as i saw fit but yes all those issues are involved. Especially how i would fit in with the peer afterwards.(since been very respectful) I didn‘t report the problem and spoke to the individual on the side. I realize my original post sounded sour, but in all fairness I am extremely happy with the way cf sharp training has worked out.
No im not a whiner or complainer i stick it out and most of the time i just shrug it off but after someone repeats their offence i let them know.

Originally posted by bossi:
[qb]

[/qb]
Hua! I completely hear ya.

Originally posted by Che:
[qb]
SO Tpr. Orange you‘re not alone, there are morons in any organisation, the CF is certainly no exception.
[/qb]
Well its good to see that we are all big enough to walk away and just take it from there. Good stuff Che!

Back