• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arrest in Melissa Richmond murder

PanaEng said:
Perhaps the silver lining in all of this is that the attention the JPSU receives may prompt for better funding and staffing iot properly take care of the pers in their charge.
If it's going to cost money, dare to dream, I'm afraid  :(  Maybe an "expert panel" or "third-party review" of some sort to take an outsider look at things - and no guarantees of any recommendations having to be implemented.

The latest shared here in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act:
A Canadian Forces warrant officer accused of first-degree murder in the death of his wife, Melissa Richmond, appeared in court Monday for a three-day bail hearing.

Howard Richmond, 50, was arrested Aug. 2, 2013 after his wife’s body was found five days earlier in a ravine behind an Ottawa South restaurant. On July 24, Richmond filed a missing person report and hundreds of concerned friends and family members had banded together to help find her.

Evidence presented at the bail hearing proceeding is shielded by a publication ban.

Richmond, wearing a blue dress shirt, was observing the proceeding from the prisoner’s box.

A member of the Canadian Forces was present in court and was taking notes. Family members of Richmond and his wife were also observing the proceedings.

And the latest...

Source: Ottawa Citizen
Page: A3
Date: Wednesday 30 September 2015
Section: City
Outlet: Ottawa Citizen
Byline: Gary Dimmock
Illustrations:
/ Melissa Richmond
Headline: Soldier in throes of PTSD killed his wife, defence says

Howard Richmond stabbed his wife to death with a knife and screwdriver just after midnight on July 25, 2013, left her body on the edge of a ravine by the South Keys Shopping Centre, then went home and hid his bloody clothes and weapons in the ductwork in the basement of his Winchester home.

In a dramatic opening statement to the jury on Day One of Richmond's first-degree murder trial Tuesday, his defence team admitted that the soldier killed 28-yearold Melissa Richmond while in the throes of chronic post traumatic stress disorder. They insisted the killing was not the act of a jealous husband enraged over her secret love affair.

Defence lawyer Jason Gilbert said the defence doesn't dispute the Crown's key facts of the killing - how he did it, where he did it and when he did it.

"The one bone of contention is the why," Gilbert told court.

The lawyer said the evidence will show that Richmond, 52, had long suffered from severe PTSD after enduring "unspeakable horrors" on tours of duty in Afghanistan, Bosnia and Croatia - including the day he watched helplessly as a young girl was gunned down before him, and another time where he came upon a pregnant woman who had been crucified and disembowelled for adultery.

The defence lawyer portrayed Richmond as a "valiant" soldier who is "as much a Canadian hero as any of the men and women who donned a uniform and put their lives on the line in their service to this great nation."

The defence lawyer told the jury they'll see and hear evidence that proves Richmond is not criminally responsible by reason of mental disorder and was incapable of forming the intent to kill, let alone know it was wrong. He said Richmond was in an automatic state - "a break from reality" - at the time of the killing, and suggested he might have mistaken his wife for someone else while reliving a flashback horror from the battlefield.

Richmond first sought psychiatric help years ago, only to be ridiculed by a senior officer, the lawyer told court. He was finally diagnosed with PTSD years later in 2011.

Richmond had no memory of what happened on the night of the killing, the lawyer said.

Richmond reported his wife missing to police the next day and urged the public to help find her. Ottawa police arrested him days later in an exhaustive investigation that included video surveillance, security footage from the mall, and DNA evidence seized from the crime scene and his basement, the court heard.

Crown prosecutor Peter Napier addressed the jury earlier on Tuesday afternoon, presenting Melissa Richmond as a "happy, vibrant" woman who was making plans to leave her husband.

She had just told her parents she was ending her marriage and that she was worried about her finances because money was tight, the prosecutor told court.

"She was on the verge of making changes, but she would not live to see the morning sunlight on July 25," Napier told the jury.

Melissa Richmond was stabbed multiple times in the head, neck and left arm - including defensive wounds suffered as she tried to stop her husband from killing her, the prosecutor told the jury.

The trial continues Wednesday. gdimmock@ottawacitizen.com twitter.com/crimegarden

As somebody who lives with PTSD every day, I'm calling BS on this!

I recall his first moment on TV - right from the very first instant the cameras were in his face, before his wife's body was even found, he was spouting off about his PTSD. I remember being shocked that he wasn't begging for her safe return - it set the Spidey Sense off instantly. I believe he knew what he was doing, he dumped her body in a ditch, and he set up the PTSD defence.

People who dissociate with PTSD generally only do so for a matter of seconds to minutes, not long enough to find a screwdriver and a knife, murder somebody, drive out somewhere to dump a body, and then return home and hide the evidence.

Staff Weenie said:

I recall his first moment on TV - right from the very first instant the cameras were in his face, before his wife's body was even found, he was spouting off about his PTSD. I remember being shocked that he wasn't begging for her safe return - it set the Spidey Sense off instantly. I believe he knew what he was doing, he dumped her body in a ditch, and he set up the PTSD defence.

People who dissociate with PTSD generally only do so for a matter of seconds to minutes, not long enough to find a screwdriver and a knife, murder somebody, drive out somewhere to dump a body, and then return home and hide the evidence.
Good points - that's why media reports and statements in court have to be considered as "not proven in court" until the case is finished.

If you want a link to the story:
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0930-richmond

Staff Weenie said:

Agreed.  I don't get the urge to run amok with a screwdriver either.  And when I was at my worst, I wasn't capable of getting my shit together enough to do it either.

The conversation between the victim and her parents is somewhat illuminating--- " ....worried about her finances and money was tight."
She would have been entitled to spousal support, at least for a short duration. I would like to know if an Application for Divorce was ever filed, and whether she was claiming spousal and what his reaction was. Our family law system is, in and of itself, extremely biased and painful towards men. If he has a mental illness, even PTSD from a previous non-military event (and I realize he is claiming PTSD from "what he saw", but nevertheless he wold have been assessed with the illness by a Psychiatrist who would have concluded there are medically enough symptoms to establish the diagnosis) and was also in a mental state of lost hope ( as many with PTSD do)  it is possible he was pushed over the edges if he felt threatened by the legal consequences of divorce.  That still is not a defence for murder.

But I do not buy the "dissociation" part either. I have personally been through that, it is generally momentary, and quite solitary, sometimes lasting minutes to maybe half an hour, but can repeat a few minutes later. The  result can range from emotional pain/ shame through to disorientation and panic, but in rarer circumstances the actions subsequently taken are "self harm" and I think it is a stretch to advance an argument dissociation resulted in actions taken to harm another person, especially one who could fight back. And further, is the episode to include all the time and effort involved in hiding evidence and making denials? That's all pathologically something else, but it is almost certainly not dissociation.

His lawyer has a number of high hurdles to cross. Raising the PTSD argument is valid step in outlining the defence case, but he better have much more than that because it will not impact a verdict, perhaps only the consequences in terms of sentencing.
Watching this one with much interest.

Researched PTSD from his own computer after killing his wife.  What a POS.

"Richmond called the head instructor a "dump truck," one of the most derogatory terms in the military."

Really? I've heard plenty of other derogatory terms before, but never that one. Perhaps we're not quite derogatory enough where I work. Or maybe some consonants got swapped.

37 years and never heard anyone called a dump truck. Glue bag, waste of skin, oxygen thief, to name a few, but never dump truck.

There is an obscene phrase that sounds a lot like Dump Truck.

Hint: the first word is Dumb.

Another set of major victims in this case is all the CF members who have legitimate PTSD issues who's ailment will be dragged through the mud and social media justice system.

Jarnhamar said:
Another set of major victims in this case is all the CF members who have legitimate PTSD issues who's ailment will be dragged through the mud and social media justice system.

Man, no kidding.

Old Sweat said:
There is an obscene phrase that sounds a lot like Dump Truck.

Hint: the first word is Dumb.

I agree OS but Dumb *uck is far from the worst derogatory in the military. In many cases, it's no more than "Shut up Carl!"

recceguy said:
37 years and never heard anyone called a dump truck. Glue bag, waste of skin, oxygen thief, to name a few, but never dump truck.

We called one of my buddies "Dump Truck" at the Regiment; however, that was because of how many McDonalds Big Mac's he would eat after consuming too much alcohol  ;D

Back