• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Happy 50th CC-130 Series

WingsofFury

Inactive
Reaction score
A gathering of current crews and those from years gone by were at 8 Wing today to celebrate the 50th year of the Hercules being utilised by the CF.  It was a great time, and the smiles on everyones faces were amazing as old memories were relived.

If anyone has any stories they can share, feel free to post em in this thread, and cheers to you all!

I wish I remembered the tail number of the plane, but I met a few Herc drivers while riding in the cockpit on the way back from Kandahar in '08. They even let me fly! Great group of guys, and such a great aircraft.

From the pic, i see triple pig is still flying. 333 was the Boxtop hanger queen in 1999.

Neat to hear some stories!!

A little bit of information I found on 333...

Taken on strength by the Canadian Forces on March 3/1975, this example of a CC-130H series Hercules operated on behalf of the UN in Ethiopia in November and December 1991.

Tango18A said:
From the pic, i see triple pig is still flying. 333 was the Boxtop hanger queen in 1999.

Triple Pig is still, well, a pig.  She doesn't do so well in Canada, quite the hangar queen, but we used her as SAR for awhile here.  It used to be that she was better overseas, but the time I spent over there earlier this year, we had non-stop issues -- three prop changes in the same week, FCU trouble, all kinds of fun stuff.

Probably the most notorious herc we have here!

But hey, at least she keeps me employed!  :D

When the Naval Reserve ran "gate vessel week-ends" in the 70's to 90's, we usually travelled "Herkybird Air".

I remember showing some recruits a picture montage of one of those week-ends with one picture that showed the unit's crew boarding the Herc. This guy had a civilian pilot license and could not be convinced that you could cram about 80 people in such a plane.

Triple Pig. That's pretty funny as we have our own Triple Pig (777) out here in Cold Lake. It too behaves better on TD's but it's not the worst hangar queen by a long shot.

I'm curious about something. Do any of the Hercs have the elaborate camo paint scheme still? I remember living in Winnipeg from 94-02 and a few Hercs there had them at one point but I haven't seen any like that in quite some time. I'm not sure how long that paint scheme was used but it sure looked cool in my opinion. I wonder why they don't use it anymore.

CDNAIRFORCE said:
Triple Pig. That's pretty funny as we have our own Triple Pig (777) out here in Cold Lake. It too behaves better on TD's but it's not the worst hangar queen by a long shot.

I'm curious about something. Do any of the Hercs have the elaborate camo paint scheme still? I remember living in Winnipeg from 94-02 and a few Hercs there had them at one point but I haven't seen any like that in quite some time. I'm not sure how long that paint scheme was used but it sure looked cool in my opinion. I wonder why they don't use it anymore.

I can't tell you why they don't use it anymore, but I've never seen a herc with it, and I'm pretty sure I've run across most of them in the past few years.  You're right, it did look pretty neat, there are tons of pictures up of them.  They all have the boring ol' grey now, I believe.  We've retired 4 or 5 herc here in Trenton in the past year or two, and they were all grey as well, so I think it must have been a fleet-wide thing.

Interesting topic re: paint scheme.  Found the below, bolding added by me.

Canadian Colour & Marking Standards

Colour Standards:

The Canadian Forces, air element, have used four main colour definition systems. Post WW2 colours were from the British Standard BS.381 and were used on early camouflaged types, such as those employed on the RCAF NATO bases in Europe. The first Canadian standard used was "Standard Paint Colours - Part 1, Colour Identification and Selection 1-GP-12b", released in 1957. It was an illustrated list of colours and remained current until just after unification. Colours listed in 1-GP-12b and used by the Royal Canadian Air Force would be in Canadian Armed Forces use for only a short period between February 1, 1968 and when drawings were converted, universally in March 1968. (webmaster's note: When developing this site, in response to requests, I've included the 1-GP-12b numbers, when applicable)

1-GP-12c: The Canadian Standards 1-GP-12c was printed in 1965 but adopted by the Canadian Armed Forces in 1968, shortly after uninfication. The first digit refered to which of the six sections within the 1-GP-12c binder the colour sample could be found. The second and third digit were a colour grouping code. The following were used by the Canadian Armed Forces:

Grey (01), Blue (02), Green (03), Brown (04), Yellow (05), Red (09), Black (12), White (13) and Aluminum (15)

The first digit after the 'grouping code' was "1" for Gloss, "2" for semi-gloss or "3" for flat. The last two digits were the actual colour. The Canadian system did not use descriptive names, like the American (ie: FS595 36375 - Light Compass Ghost Grey) and the British (BS. 381C - No.640 Extra Dark Sea Grey systems. In 1989 the Canadian government discontinued production of 1-GP-12c hence a new colour system was needed for standards.

FS595: The colour standard FS595 was first issued from the United States government, in 1956 and continuously updated by adding letter extensions (FS595a 1968 and FS595b 1989) when full reprints with all additions were done. In this well-though-out system, the first digit 1,2 or 3 refers to (in American terminology) gloss, semi-gloss and lusterless. The second digit referred to basic colour groups, as follows:

Brown (0), Red (1), Orange (2), Yellow (3), Green (4), Blue (5), Grey (6), Misc. (7) and Flourescent (8)

The 1-GP-12c colours were gradually replaced by the FS595, starting with the Buffalo three-colour wrap-around scheme, in November 1983. A conversion list was made but there were only two exact matches within 1-GP-12c colours, as they were intended to match Hornet FS595 colours. The list uses the words "we can live with" in referance to the conversion equivalents. Cosmopolitian, Labrador, Tutor, Buffalo, CF-5, Tracker, Sea King, Hercules, CT-133 Silver Star, Boeing 707, Twin Otter, Jetranger, Aurora, Dash 7, Challenger and Hornet, were converted to FS595 standards, by November 1993. The Musketeer and Chinook had paint spec drawings made up, but not painted. The Twin Huey was only partially converted and the Labrador was the last to convert. The marking drawing colours started switching in March 1991 with the new Signature. The Griffon and the Polaris were noted only with FS595 specs from the outset.

The above excerpt taken from Patrick Martin's Canadian Armed Forces: Aircraft Finish & Markings, 1968-1997)

A Modeller's Summary of the Evolution of Post-War Canadian Military Aircraft Schemes:

In the beginning, there was the Pre-unification period, where the three services (RCAF, Cdn Army & the RCN) had their own air element and as such, their own distinct marking standard. Unification of the Forces, occured in 1968 and as such, all the aircraft of the three former services, now came under the 'ownership' of the "Air Element" of the Canadian Armed Forces (formerly known as the Royal Canadian Air Force). Following unification, to-date, the CAF has officially gone through three 'eras' (marking changes), known as the "CAF" , "Symetrical" and the "Federal Identification Program" or "FIP", eras. The modeller may well simplify this by changing the era names slightly, to be a bit more discriptive of the period or markings.... "Pre-Uninfication","Post-Unification", "CANADA" and "FIP".

Pre-Unification: The three services were still separate with their own distinctive schemes on their aircraft. The RCAF used the 'Silver Maple' leaf in it's roundel, while the other two services had their own leaf styles. Fin identification had evolved from the fin flash (similar to a late-WW2 RAF fin flash), to the Canadian Flag of the day - the Red Ensign. RCN aircraft sported the RCN flag, during this period.

Post-Unification: Usually referred to as the 'asymetrical CAF scheme' and generally considered as 1968-1973. "Royal Canadian Air Force", "CDN ARMY" and "NAVY" fuselage titles were replaced by "CANADIAN ARMED FORCES" (port) and "FORCES ARMEE CANADIENNES" (starboard), plus CAF replaced RCAF underwing and fuselage service titles. During the weeks immediately following the unification of the services, there were seemingly, several variations of the basic scheme until the final version could finally be worked out. For a short time, the large day-glo 'RESCUE" on SAR aircraft, was (almost totally) replaced on the starboard side, with the french 'SAUVETAGE", Aircraft serial numbers were changed to a six digit format, with the 'first three', denoting the aircraft type designation and the 'last three; denoting the individual aircraft number. The CC-129 Dakota, the CP-121 Tracker and the CH-124 Sea King, retained the older five digit serial format.The roundel's 'leaf' became the now familiar stylized leaf in the (then reletively new) Canadian Flag, which also became a standard fin marking. Initially, the leaf was the same size of the fin flag, in the normal-proportioned RCAF roundel, giving the appearence of a small leaf in a large roundel. There was even a trial period , that saw an all-red roundel carried on several aircraft The reasoning behind this move, was that blue was no longer a national colour, since it was no longer carried in the flag.

CANADA: Generally considered to be 1973-1983. The obvious change was that the CAF titles of the Post-Unification era, had been shortened to "CANADA" (capitalised) and the bilingual roundel ident (ARMED FORCES -roundel- FORCES ARMEE), was introduced on both sides of the fuselage. During this time, aircraft started to acquire low-visabilty markings. The first version of 'low-viz' markings was basically reduced-sized, full-colur markings, with the white removed, allowing the underlying camouflage colour to be visible. The next step was the all-black national markings. Once the aircraft started going 'Grey', the markings began appearing as a contrasting shade of grey.

FIP: The Canadian government adopted this scheme as part of their corporate "Federal Identity Progam" plan, June 1983. Begun in 1970, all gov't departments adopted a common marking policy for their equipment. The obvious changes included "CANADA" being replaced with "Canada" and a small Canadian flag appearing over the last "a", sometimes referred to as 'Canada Wordmark'. The fuselage roundel ident was also dropped and the roundel once again stood alone. The bilingual fuselage ident was now relaced by the 'Armed Forces signature' - a two-tier, bilingual title (CANADIAN FORCES/FORCES CANADIENNE), fronted by a partial or full Canadian flag. Like the ident, this appeared on the fuselage.

One final note to the sometimes confusing world of CAF markings. During the change over in the 'era type' markings, it wasn't uncommon to observe aircraft, in the 'old scheme', for some time after the 'newer scheme' had taken effect.

An interesting article, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from the Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Aging+Hercules+flies+Afghanistan+toward+sunset/4669751/story.html
Aging Hercules flies out of Afghanistan and toward the sunset

By Matthew Fisher, Postmedia News

April 25, 2011

4669822.bin

Pilots, loadmasters and maintainers saluted Monday as one of Canada's oldest military aircraft flew out of Kandahar for the last time. The C-130-H Hercules returning to Canada via Germany had flown almost 45,000 hours and about 18 million kilometres since it was ordered by the Diefenbaker government nearly half a century ago. The early workhorse of the Afghan mission, it is being replaced by a new, state-of the-art J model Hercules.
Photograph by: Matthew Fisher, Postmedia News

4669823.bin

Capt. Neil Prescott commanded one of Canada's oldest military aircraft Monday as it flew out of Kandahar for the last time Monday. The C-130-H Hercules has flown almost 45,000 hours and about 18 million kilometres since it was ordered by the Diefenbaker government nearly half a century ago. The early workhorse for the Afghan mission, it is being replaced in Kandahar by a newstate-of-the-art J model Hercules.
Photograph by: Matthew Fisher, Postmedia News

KANDAHAR AIRFIELD, Afghanistan — One of Canada's oldest military aircraft flew out of Kandahar for the last time Monday.
The C-130 H Hercules has flown nearly 45,000 hours and nearly 18 million kilometres since it was ordered by the Diefenbaker government.

The H model Hercules has been Canada's workhorse in Afghanistan since the mission began at the same airfield in the spring of 2002, when the runway was still badly cratered by bomb damage caused a few months earlier by U.S. air force bombers.

"We get our money's worth in Canada," said Capt. Neil Prescott, who had "the honour" of commanding the last mission out of Kandahar. "We tend not to replace aircraft very often."

The particular Hercules that's bound for Germany from Kandahar on Monday is to arrive at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Ontario sometime next week.

"It maybe has one or two years left," flying search-and-rescue missions in Canada before it is retired, Prescott said.

The aircraft's last cargo run from Afghanistan consisted of an extra propeller and a very large quantity of soldiers' mail.

"It has been very reliable for us and we have had a great amount of fun flying it tactically," said Prescott, who guessed that as many as 1,800 of his 2,700 hours on the H-variant had been flown in Afghanistan.

"It is perfectly suited for this theatre, where there are small airfields, some with gravel strips, and without much security."

The returning aircraft's last Afghan mission a few days ago took it north to Kabul and to an austere airfield at Faizabad, north of the capital in the heart of the Hindu Kush mountain range.

Some of the H variant's missions were taken away when the Canadian air force started to fly much larger C-17 aircraft into Kandahar a couple of years ago. The taskings decreased again four months ago when Canada began to replace the ancient H-models with the bigger, faster, state-of-the art J model.

The transition away from the H-model ends in Kandahar with the arrival of another J-model on Tuesday. The J-variant is to continue flying missions from Kandahar until sometime in November in support of NATO and Canada's close down of combat operations, which takes place in July.

Col. Al Meitzinger, Canada's last air wing commander in Kandahar, discovered a few days ago that he had a personal connection to the departing aircraft going back to the time when he was a Grade 5 student. His father, Chief Warrant Officer Dave Meitzinger (ret.), checked his old logs and discovered that he flew the same aircraft (tail number 130819) as a loadmaster from 1977 to 1980.

"We lived for 10 years on the south side of the airfield at Trenton, which is a 9-iron to the runway, and I remember going to sleep every night as a kid listening to Hercules engines," said Meitzinger, who is a helicopter pilot.

"We speak of aircraft, but when I look at it, I really think about the people who have kept the airplane flying an average of three hours a day every day for about 45 years."

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

A fine aircraft that has done us proud.

2 errors in that article. The Herc's tail number would be 130319, vice 130819 and it is an E model, not an H. 

Trunk Monkey said:
2 errors in that article. The Herc's tail number would be 130319, vice 130819 and it is an E model, not an H.

The pilot definitely told the newspeople that, so I''m not sure where the mistake happened.  But yes, you're absolutely right.  That plane did really well over there too, I miss working on it.

Sparkplugs said:
Triple Pig is still, well, a pig.  She doesn't do so well in Canada, quite the hangar queen, but we used her as SAR for awhile here.  It used to be that she was better overseas, but the time I spent over there earlier this year, we had non-stop issues -- three prop changes in the same week, FCU trouble, all kinds of fun stuff.

Funny how the Trenton folks always complained/still complain about triple pig...when we had it in Winnipeg in the 90's, it was our work horse and rarely U/S.  Guess we had the more experienced techs in the fleet, well at least fitters.  ;D

Trunk Monkey said:
Funny how the Trenton folks always complained/still complain about triple pig...when we had it in Winnipeg in the 90's, it was our work horse and rarely U/S.  Guess we had the more experienced techs in the fleet, well at least fitters.  ;D

Zing!  But I remember not a year ago, when Winnipeg sent us a plane with 4 u/s brakes on it, with the spare parts on board and a message to have fun.  ;D  I don't think there's ever been a time when Winnipeg and Trenton didn't talk s**t about each other.  Besides, the 90's was 20-some years ago, she may have gone downhill since then maybe?  ;D

Sparkplugs said:

333 was my second Herc ride from Wainwright to Victoria Feb 82, except it made it only as far as Edmonton. Not sure if it was a serviceability issue or the fact it was Friday night. In any event we hung around for a couple of hours, drank some beer at the mess and another airframe took us home.

Sparkplugs said:
Zing!  But I remember not a year ago, when Winnipeg sent us a plane with 4 u/s brakes on it, with the spare parts on board and a message to have fun.  ;D  I don't think there's ever been a time when Winnipeg and Trenton didn't talk s**t about each other.  Besides, the 90's was 20-some years ago, she may have gone downhill since then maybe?  ;D

What? I'm not that old!!! Well, looking back, there definitely was trash talk and glad to see it carries on. Triple pig should be a pedestal bird once retired and not made into pop cans.
The brake thing is funny, glad to see some things never change.  >:D

Back