• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Habs too English, PQ leader says

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Another slow news day at the CBC.  ::)

Original link

Habs too English, PQ leader says

Parti Québécois Leader Pauline Marois says she would like to see more francophone players on the Montreal Canadiens.

Marois told reporters that the hockey team does not reflect the reality in the province, and the lack of a Quebec identity on the Habs ends up serving the federalist cause.

The PQ leader's comments follow the appearance of the party's language critic Pierre Curzi on the popular French-language program Les Francs-tireurs on Sept. 8, when he stated that it was "not by chance" that there are so few francophone players on Quebec's only NHL hockey team.

Curzi toned down his rhetoric Wednesday, saying he did not believe it was a federalist plot to stack the team with English-speaking players, but simply that the lack of francophone players has changed the identity of the Habs.

"The policy about the bilingualism of that team is, for me, clearly more federalist as an option than the clear predominance of the French," Curzi told reporters in Quebec City.

Marois echoed her colleague's sentiments Wednesday, and said she believes many francophone hockey fans also share her view.

"[This team is] a symbol of our pride to succeed in this sport, and I think the Quebecers would like to have more francophones in this team," Marois said, while denying that she believes that the lack of French-speaking players is a federal conspiracy.

Curzi also argued that a possible return of the Nordiques to Quebec City could instil a "nationalist identity" that is lacking with the Montreal Canadiens.

PQ language critic Pierre Curzi called for more francophone players on Télé-Québec's program Les Francs-Tireurs on Sept. 8. (CBC)
Liberal cabinet minister Line Beauchamp said there is no federalist ulterior motive to the makeup of the team.

"Come on, it's a hockey team that's trying to win the Stanley Cup," Beauchamp said.

Curzi also made headlines two years ago when he denounced Paul McCartney's free concert on Quebec City's Plains of Abraham to celebrate the city's 400th anniversary, saying the star shouldn't be singing in English on the site of a historic battle between British and French troops.

Habs say talent beats language
A spokesperson for the Canadiens said the club has more French-speaking players than any other team in the NHL, with 11 at training camp.

Dominick Saillant said the reason francophone players such as Maxime Lapierre, Mathieu d'Arche and Benoit Pouliot will be skating for the Habs this year is based on talent, not language.

Some fans, meanwhile, don't appear too worried about the language the Habs speak.

"It doesn't matter if they're Quebec or if they're international, as long as the team wins, so I couldn't care who is on the team," Gary Bertleff said.

Another fan, Gabriella Machico, said it's nice to see that the Canadiens are multicultural, like the city, although it "wouldn't be a bad thing to get a few more Quebec players."

One question. Are they for ******** real? They are basically implying an NHL conspiracy if  read that correctly. Enough, this is strictly stirring the pot.

More, from the team, via TSN:
The owner of the Montreal Canadiens has defended his team against accusations that it's a pro-Canada political tool.

Geoff Molson was asked Thursday about remarks made by the Parti Quebecois in recent days.

He called it a funny question and said it wasn't something he wanted to respond to. But Molson then offered a curt dismissal of the accusation.

"We are in the hockey business and not into politics," Molson said. "I can tell you we don't talk about politics in the dressing room." ....

I think this is good news, because if that is what they are hanging their hat on these days then it shows the cause is really desparate. Then again perhaps some second language training would improve their performance??? ::)

Mtl already has a lot of French Canadian players. The NHL isn't QMJHL, you get the best players for your team, not regional picks.

Gee, so maybe we should kick all the non-Canadians off the Canadian teams, kick the non-Americans off the U.S. teams, tell all the Swedish, Russian, etc, guys to start their own leagues......

FFS, this belongs in the "What's the dumbest thing you heard" thread......    ::)

I think the PQ should not be allowed to be a Federal party.

Oops, I stand corrected.......

Not that I approve of the PQ`s rubbish comments (far from it), but it is not a federal party, PMedMoe. So not too many worries here :)

::)  Now we wait to see if a complete make-over of the Montreal Canadiens is required ....including a name change.??? 

Ca'maaaan.!!  The time wasted on idiotic straw-grasping concerns should be re-directed to something more worthy.!  Is this woman "position validating".???

:cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

As I far the PQ is concerned there is probably far too much english in all of Quebec and Canada as a whole...but not much we can do about that.

If the PQ has an issue with the lack of French speaking hockey players then maybe they should pump more of their own money into the QMJHL. And then stay in their own pond and not try to dictate Canadian policy WRT Language. Seems to me the British did the Quebec French a huge favour after the Plains of Abraham by letting the french language flourish.

krustyrl said:
::)  Now we wait to see if a complete make-over of the Montreal Canadiens is required ....including a name change.??? 
Whey would they change the name?  "Canadien" is a perfectly cromulent French Word!

They'll probably argue that they should be called the "Montreal Quebecois".  ::)
And they wonder why we don't take them seriously.

They'll probably argue that they should be called the "Montreal Quebecois".  ::)

It would most likely be "Les Québecois de Montréal". Can't have the name of the team said in English  >:D

Perhaps the honourable member would like to count the French speaking populous of Montreal???

...yes...yes...Pinky, we're planning on taking over Quebec one Hockey player at a time...this time, their hockey sticks will act as baseball bats and we'll have them confused in no time..... muah-ha-ha-ah

ArmyRick said:
One question. Are they for ******** real? They are basically implying an NHL conspiracy if  read that correctly. Enough, this is strictly stirring the pot.

Technically speaking, you can't "stir" stupidity.

Anger is stirred.  Stupidity is piled higher & wider.

I gott ask;...I have to...with the Jacques Parizeau incident after the referendum...

Who in the name of all that's holy & pure is their P.R. guy??

I mean, come on, there must have been someone in the party with two brain cells working together that must have said, ' Wait a minute, maybe this isn't the best way to get out point across...'

krustyrl said:

Ca'maaaan.!!  The time wasted on idiotic straw-grasping concerns should be re-directed to something more worthy.!  Is this woman "position validating".???

Sadly, due to the current Prime Minister performance, that woman could be the next Prime minister here...

Back