• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Glenfiddich helps woundedwarriors.ca

421_434_226

Inactive
Reaction score
One of the world's 11 bottles of Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve sold at an auction in Toronto Friday night for $52,000, setting a new record for Canada.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/10/20/20296486.html

Journeyman said:
I'm sure it would taste awesome with Dr Pepper.  :nod:

Bite your tongue!  The older Glenfiddichs actually have personality!

Get it right lad,.......scotch and diet ROOT BEER.......Dr. Pepper??.....what,...you think I'm uncivilized or something?

Congrats to Wayne and Tess for this fundraiser.

Well, being an unpretentious Jack Daniels drinker myself, I've never understood the snobbery of Scotch.  :dunno:

Barbarians!

Journeyman said:
Well, being an unpretentious Jack Daniels drinker myself, I've never understood the snobbery of Scotch.  :dunno:

You sort of answered your own question. It's all about the snobbery.

Saw an interesting show on the History Channel on Whiskey earlier this week. They covered American Bourbon, Irish Whiskey, Scotch and Canadian Rye.

One thing I didn't realize was that blended Scotches can be made from as many as 30 different single malts. And since Scottish distilleries only make a single malt, they buy / trade malts amongst the other distilleries to create their blended products.

Journeyman said:

Which is why I typically drink Irish whisky ;D

Journeyman said:

I agree that some, probably most Scotch drinkers are snobs - we single malt whisky drinkers, on the other hand, are just normal folks with a preference for good taste in our glass.

I love Scotch.  Just mostly the blended stuff as my pallet is not sophisticated, so no snobbery here.  There are some single malts I do like, but as a rule I'm happy with the blends.  I did try Johnny Blue on my HLTA and found it to be mostly nothing.  Too smooth maybe?  It was nice to try it, but I won't go there again.

Irish Whiskey is nice too.  Bourbon, is like Scotch an acquired taste.  Tried Jack, once.  That was enough.  More for you Journey...

Polluting single malt with Dr Pepper or anything else??? Sacrilege! The only thing you mix with Scotch, is more Scotch!

Hawk

E.R. Campbell said:
I agree that some, probably most Scotch drinkers are snobs - we single malt whisky drinkers, on the other hand, are just normal folks with a preference for good taste in our glass.

I agree.  I have a nice single malt from Japan that you should try.  It rivals the Scottish products.

Scotch is scotch some are good, some are great. The only one I have ever refused to drink was one handed to me in a plastic cup. I will say I am partial to 15 yo single malts.

my72jeep said:
The only one I have ever refused to drink was one handed to me in a plastic cup.
It's all Zen, grasshopper -- it's the space within that's important.

my72jeep said:
I will say I am partial to 15 yo single malts.

doesn't that qualify as jail bait?  ;D

Journeyman said:
It's all Zen, grasshopper -- it's the space within that's important.
No no I swear the cup was melting.........

Strike said:
I agree.  I have a nice single malt from Japan that you should try.  It rivals the Scottish products.

I second that. Best Whisky I have had recently were from Japan!

Like Recce Guy I am a huge fan of the Irish whisky, triple stilled amongst my favourite. Otherwise, all Irish I have found to be tasty.  I am having a few drams of Bruichladdich with a fine Cohiba this evening.

dileas

tess

Couple buys rare whisky for $52,000
Proceeds donated to Canadian troops
By QMI Agency
Article Link

One of the world's 11 bottles of Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve sold at an auction in Toronto Friday night for $52,000, setting a new record for Canada.

Dave and Laurie (who didn't want their last names used) from Etobicoke, Ont., were the winning bidders of the 55-year-old Scotch and the proceeds were donated to WoundedWarriors.ca, a not-for-profit organization that assists and improves the quality of life of wounded Canadian soldiers and their families.

"I'm truly overwhelmed with the level of support we've received from the William Grant & Sons family distillery through this auction and beyond," Capt. Wayne Johnston, the founder of WoundedWarriors.ca, said. "Every penny from this bottle's auction will go towards wounded Canadian soldiers and their families and I'm thrilled that the Grant's family has chosen to help."

Considered one of the most prestigious whiskies ever released by the Glenfiddich distillery, the Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve was produced to recognize the long life and contributions Roberts made to her family's distillery. Roberts, the granddaughter of distillery founder William Grant, was part of a pioneering legacy that began 125 years ago.

Roberts' great-niece, Sally Gordon Woof, travelled to Canada to witness the seventh bottle sell at auction.
More on link

Back