• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

glases in the army

• Thread starter rookie in training
  • Start date
allright.... heres how it should probabbly work.

number one.. women dont have to shave their faces... so dont worry about it...

men do.. shave with a tradional razor for BMQ. odds are you will get your toys taken away at the start anyways...

as far as how close to shave.. just shave your face. if its not done right, trust me... you will know..

Now. as far as glasses go, in the reserves im nto sure about replacements if they get wrecked.. im pretty sure the army will cover the cost up to a certain amount. if you can get a pair of glasses with "Flexon" frames. they are super bendy and durable.. so you wont need to worry about them getting toasted in the feild.

I have two pairs. i have a good pair i wear on parade night, and non combat ex‘s (ie road moves)

and a flexon pair i wear for the feild.

it works good for me..

and trust me.. when youre on basic you wont want to have to mess around with contacts.. two minutes is a long time to be messing around on a recruit course...

anyways, thats just my 5 years worth, of life as a Mo.
take it for what its worth.

I have extended wear contacts, and supposedly it‘s safe to wear them for up to a month, though I usually take them out once a week for a night to give my eyes a rest.

I have worn these contacts into the field on a 5 day FTX, and had no problems with them whatsoever. BUT, I also had my glasses in a hard case with me at all times, just in case. A small bottle of contact solution, and something to clean your hands well with is nice to have too.

I find that my glasses get bumped around by the helmet buckles a lot, and it pisses me off. Plus I prefer contacts anways, I absolutley despise my glasses. I have never had a pair of contacts fall out of my eyes in 7+ years, and that includes having worn them while water rafting, competitive swimming, skiing (high wind), etc, etc.

But that‘s just my experiences.

Korus, really?

how much more expensive are those puppies than my regular daily contacts?

Not really daily, I take them out after a day, before I goto bed.

My eye doctor said they have a chance of slipping around too far behind the eye to get if you sleep with them in... so I take them out.

Are these ones comfortable after a full day?

My eyes get tired with them in for more than 10-11 hours at a time...

I think these ones last about 3-4 months maybe more If i stretch them

They cost me about $30 more per eye for 6 pairs. The reason that you can wear them for long periods of time is that they are much more breathable, so your eyeball gets more oxygen, and more oxygen means less bacteria, etc, to grow behind the lense. It‘s a bit wierd waking up with them, and sometimes my eyes are a little dry, but nowhere near as bad as if I accidentally fall asleep for a couple of hours with regular contacts.

I haven‘t worn them for more than a week at a time, though.. It‘s still a good idea to give the eyes a break.

To get them I had to trial a pair for a week, and after that week have the optometrist check up on my eyes before they would actually ‘prescribe‘ them to me.

Thats exactly what I have Korus.

I went to my optomotrist, she gave me the usual checkup, and I told her I wanted them, so she ordered a trial pair. Although mine were 2 week contacts (Acueview 2, although I forget how to spell it right now).

After that I told her I liked them so I got a 3 month supply, for I believe around $70. She said I could get a 3, 6 or 12 month supply.

I got them specifically for the army, as I did not want to fumble around with glasses. As well when I work out, glasses always get in the way. They slip off your nose, sweat from my brow falls on the lens and soforth. For example, if I do pushups, they almost fall right off my face.

Since I‘ve gotten contacts I have not a had a single problem, with running, push ups, sit ups, summersaults whatever. I think most people who believe contacts fall out have never had them. They are held in my suction and your eyelids even go over part of them. You have to move your finger across the very surface of your eye to take them out. They do not simply "fall out" at all.

Just a quick tip. If you do choose to wear contacts on basic, do not I repeat DO NOT wear them in the gas hut. It will **** you over big time.

interesting, i‘ll have to talk to my eye doctor about these... instead of my daily wear ones.

gas hut... sound like an eye burning good time!

Originally posted by jutes:
[qb] Also, are you allowed to bring your electrical razor and toothbrush to BMQ? I sure hope so, because it is the 21st century. [/qb]
When your have an electric toothbrush and you take it to the feild, be prepared to answer questions about the vibrator in your ruck.

My personal experience with Electric razors is that they are excellent in the field, especially in the winter when you‘re face goes raw from shaving with a regular razor. My advice with contacts in the feild is to just buy cheap 2 week use ones (that can actually be worn up to a month without discomfort, I find) so that if you have problems you can just chuck ‘em and put on your glasses. Contacts seem to be working fine for me, just wash&dry your hands before you take em out / put them in.

I know a guy in 3RCR who is a sniper and wears glasses. The bigger question is can you hit a target over 800m? It‘s not as easy as it seems :sniper:

i was checking one of the replys that someone posted and they said people who wear contacts casn not become a sniper is this true because i really wanna try to become a sniper and if my wearing glasses is gonna hinder me then i should probably get laser eye surgery right hope to get a response on this thanx

Rookie: Depending on the severity of your sight impariment, it may bar you from certain trades, or from the CF in general. If all you have is a small correction, then it might not be a problem at all. If you‘re close to legally blind without glasses, then you might want to think about laser eye surgery, but I would find out the extend of your impairment. Do you know, offhand, what your prescription is in each eye?

As for being a sniper, work on being a soldier first. Besides, as all the qualified snipers on this board have said, sniping isn‘t just about shooting. In fact, one told me that shooting is the easy part!

Becoming a sniper is an advanced/speciality course. You may in your heart of hearts have the will, drive and determination to WANT to do it. It‘s really up to the sniper cell who will make the decision if they think you‘re worth the effort on their part. They see lots of applications in the run of a year, most are passed by. Those that aren‘t go on course. Of those 75 percent fail. If you do make it, you still have to struggle to keep your edge, and keep current. You will be training/tested all the time. A friend of mine who was involved in Afganistan, had a few confirmed kills. He‘s trying to deal with having seen the results of his art.

By all means go for it. I hope you make it. Just keep in mind it‘s not going to be easy by any means. It certainly isn‘t for my bud.

Cheers :salute:

I wear glasses, if I get crap in my eye from dust or something in the field I don‘t want to be farting around with contacts (mornings in the barracks too). It might not happen yet but it will probably only have to happen once before you swear off the things while training. Don‘t worry, nobody will chew you out for spoiling your good looks if your wearing glasses.

Don‘t be lazy, use a razor. Electric will get stolen or just won‘t cut close enough. You won‘t know who took it either ‘cause the person who did will have brought their own razor ;)

You‘d think that even if you weren‘t wearing glasses... looking through a scope would correct any vision problems, the scope being a lens and whatnot.
Second of all... gee am I glad to be a girl, I don‘t have to shave, (my face anyway..)

Glasses in the army is a very good topic.. whomever started it.. since I have glasses and I am currently looking into a future career in the CF.

:salute:

Originally posted by Gibson:
[qb] Electric will get stolen or just won‘t cut close enough. You won‘t know who took it either ‘cause the person who did will have brought their own razor ;) [/qb]
One of the most severe offenses, in my books, is to steal from a comrade.

Originally posted by Lexi:
[qb] You‘d think that even if you weren‘t wearing glasses... looking through a scope would correct any vision problems, the scope being a lens and whatnot. [/qb]
IF that were possible (The optical sight just makes the image larger, it doesn‘t make it clearer) how exactly would you see when you weren‘t shooting?

And glasses make it a terrible pain in the rear to shoot when the eye-relief on the sight isn‘t adjusted properly...

Well guys if that were true then how can a gunner with glasses hop into a leo turret and adjust the sight for his perscription? It‘s an optical sight....

As for theifs..guys in the ‘borne in the late ‘80s caught one. They bent a coat hanger into a design, heated it with a torch and branded him"theif".

Unfortunatly...can‘t get away with that anymore

‘Nuff said

LEXI...when are you going to apply and what trade?

Cheers

:salute:

Back