• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

glases in the army

• Thread starter rookie in training
  • Start date
R

rookie in training

hey i wear contacts and i was wondering since my vision is not 20 20 will it limit me in the fields that i can try out for like becomeing a sniper. if corrective wear is not an issue for anything what would be the better type of eye wear to get contacts sports glasses etc hope to hear from someone soon take care everyone and happy new year

I don‘t believe glasses are much of a concern. Contacts would seem to be too much of a hassle in the field. I wouldn‘t want a lens to shift or fall out while crawling around a forest. With glasses, you can use one of those straps that you attach to the arms and loop around your head.

Your vision will be tested by the CF to see if you qualify to be in the infantry. And glasses are prefered over contact lens.

Yes, good question lad!

I have both glasses and contacts... are you ALLOWED contacts?

I think I would rather put up with my contacts, for the sake of not having my glasses bouncing around and getting crushed etc.

And also I am looking for a sharp shooter badge at least :p so I figure the contacts will give me a clearer sight picture haha

I wouldn‘t want a lens to shift or fall out while crawling around a forest.
That almost never happens. I played hockey (with contact) for almost 5 years and i‘ve worn contacts for almost 6 years and i‘ve never had a situation were my lens just fell out.

I think I would rather put up with my contacts, for the sake of not having my glasses bouncing around and getting crushed etc.
Exactly. I just hope that in BMQ they give me enough time in the morning to put my contacts on, I just need 2 minutes.

Also, are you allowed to bring your electrical razor and toothbrush to BMQ? I sure hope so, because it is the 21st century.

You can have electrical razor and toothbrush. But, I suggest you use a normal razor for shaving because electrical shave is not as close as a normal shave which will land you in some trouble on morning inspections.

yes, it is the 21st century, but for discipline‘s sake, they may (probably will) take your electrical toys away, until you earn them back. Using electrical hygiene products in the field is also bad, because they could break, and could make too much noise.

On our course, a literal two minutes was an important period of time, as we had only a few minutes upon awakening to get up, shave (for the guys)do preliminary bed-making, and then running outside dressed for P.T.

It will be taken away.Weekends I have been with new researves as a cadet it is amasing what stuff they carry before heading out into the field.

Crazyness.

My advice is wear contacts only on parade not in the field. There are limitations for people who want to wear contacts.

[qb]
My advice is wear contacts only on parade not in the field. There are limitations for people who want to wear contacts. [/qb]
Care to enlighten me on the limitations?
I can see the obvious, if you lose it etc... but I‘ve only ever had that problem where I rubbed my eye and forgot....

Situations like that you have to be tired/drunk/or a combination.

They dont restrict you I hope, for having contacts...?

"Alright, I wanna see those eyeballs SHINE private! SCRUB!!"

Originally posted by Sappo:
[qb] [qb]
My advice is wear contacts only on parade not in the field. There are limitations for people who want to wear contacts. [/qb]
Care to enlighten me on the limitations?
I can see the obvious, if you lose it etc... but I‘ve only ever had that problem where I rubbed my eye and forgot....

Situations like that you have to be tired/drunk/or a combination.

They dont restrict you I hope, for having contacts...?

"Alright, I wanna see those eyeballs SHINE private! SCRUB!!" [/qb]
My friend from Lord Strathcona Horse was saying that you can lose contacts in side a tank easyly
and they do ask if you have contacts and told to wear plastic lens glasses.

But, I suggest you use a normal razor for shaving because electrical shave is not as close as a normal shave which will land you in some trouble on morning inspections.
Mine is very close. What do they do, use a microscope?

but for discipline‘s sake, they may (probably will) take your electrical toys away, until you earn them back.
What kind of disipline is that? You mean they can take away your private possesions that you paid for? It‘s like taking away my car because it is more expensive then the officers. It is a bunch of BS if you ask me.

Using electrical hygiene products in the field is also bad, because they could break, and could make too much noise.
I‘m just talking about when in the barracks. And I don‘t think they are much use when not charged. :D

Originally posted by jutes:
[qb]
But, I suggest you use a normal razor for shaving because electrical shave is not as close as a normal shave which will land you in some trouble on morning inspections.
In the military you shall always strive to be the best. It it means a closer shave or an extra pushup it well be done. Military wants men and womman cut,clean and in shape. It is not a debate.

but for discipline‘s sake, they may (probably will) take your electrical toys away, until you earn them back.
Military displine. Why take stiff than you don‘t need.

Using electrical hygiene products in the field is also bad, because they could break, and could make too much noise.
[/qb]
Remember you share a same place with other men.
More likly it will be stollen.

Trust me on that.

Jutes, very close. Sometimes they could just line you up and just inspect your shaving. Look around your face to see if you missed a spot and such. Better make it as smooth as a baby‘s butt.

Originally posted by meni0n:
[qb] Jutes, very close. Sometimes they could just line you up and just inspect your shaving. Look around your face to see if you missed a spot and such. Better make it as smooth as a baby‘s butt. [/qb]
Thank goodness I am a female. We have things we have to go through that are a pain in the but too.

I Wear Glasses, I also Break Them, No Biggy..Paid For IF they Break.

I went Through This B4, you cannot Be A Sniper With Glasses. I Try To Fight, All becuase Of Reflection Of the Lense..

Hey I got my Cross And Crown At work, and I diddn‘t wear my Glasses, C79 Optical Sight Is a Lense For Me..

Hmm... hmm...

#1 jutes, dont mean to sound like an a-hole... but i think if that pisses you off about military life, you may have a hard go if the discipline factor.

#2 Cadet810, only our male minds can come up with SO many interesting scenarios with that kind of comment.

Back