• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Spending

Herein lies the cost does in not? And while we on here may understand that the average taxpayer won't.
I'm not the average taxpayer. In fact, my wife and I pay exorbitant amounts of tax. But if the GG's flight cost $218 per meal, I am a taxpayer, and I want to know. That is bullshit, plain and simple.

Adscam, WE, SNC Lavalin, Norman, Duffy, NS Shooting Inquest, etc, etc. Each time getting info from the government was like pulling hens teeth. And they wonder why more and more people are losing faith in our institutions.
EA. Don't leave out the worst.

Or something at 529 Wellington
I’ll have to try that next time I’m in Stabby McStabville.

In fairness to the Ritz, the foie gras was only part of the meal…
1664230609828.jpeg

Edit to add: @ueo referred to something insightful, that was de-publicized years ago…

Seems I rrember a pub called Cost Factor Manual which gave the costs of almost every activity in the CF. If (BIG IF) it or its childrenstill exist mightthat clarify this sit?

The CFM had very interesting information that broke down costs for major CAF platforms and systems, including about 8-9 different columns for a comprehensive framing of the detailed breakdown of…well…cost factors, various fixed and variable costs to operate, maintain and sustain various capabilities.

Interestingly, when it came to platforms, everybody assumed that the CF-18 was the most expensive aircraft for the RCAF to operate. If the legends are true, it would have turned out that the good ole Hornet was like #3, behind a prop plane and a helicopter…the all up/full-in departmental costs per hour, to operate a CP-1XX were…what’s the right word…staggering.

If someone is costing the full-up departmental cost of a meal, whether for the GG or a family member traveling home with deceased service member, I’m surprised the cost of the meal is so cheap, TBH.

Last edited:
Why not ? Why not follow the A-85-269-001/FP-001 CF Food Service Manual ?

I can understand big diplomatic dinners and official functions will require a certain je ne sais quoi. But for simple in flight feeding to and from why does this require some higher form of nutrition ? What exactly are the caloric requirements of a diplomat or government official as a passenger in flight ?

I'm certainly not defending the per plate amount being reported without knowing how it's calculated but are all government passengers in CAF aircraft subject to CAF food guidelines by virtue of them being the taxi service? I wonder what the all-in cost would have been if they hired an Air Transat charter.

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I still feel that rank comes with some privilege. I don't expect the PM or GG to live in public housing or fly scheduled coach.

Honestly having just a minor (and painful) passing experience with costing stuff out of Dubai, the costs of the meals doesn’t strike me as unreasonable at all.
I know some smaller USG jets that get hosed worse.

Secondly you can’t relate it to what US Airlines pay for food — simply because none of them serve food regularly outside of first/business.
While I don’t think that meals in First/Business run to $200+/plate, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are close when running out of some of the Middle East airports, and that’s with service agreements in place.

That said, if you became a Freedom Loving Republic, you won’t have a GG and staff traipsing around the world. ;)

That said, if you became a Freedom Loving Republic, you won’t have a GG and staff traipsing around the world. ;)

Tease GIF by Shark Week

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I still feel that rank comes with some privilege. I don't expect the PM or GG to live in public housing or fly scheduled coach.

There's that dame word privilege again ;)

It’s working so well for Russia ;)
Works alright here in Ireland. But people still moan about the cost of the care and feeding of a ceremonial head of state. It just goes with the territory.

President of Ireland below.

1664279277058.png

meal rates do not apply when ordering food for the GG and staff. They are provided a personal Chef at home and staff to serve them. This level of service is expected I guess when travelling and doing what ever a GG does when travelling. If you go some places and try to live within the meal rates on your travel claim, you can eat well in some locations and others you are not even getting fast food. This is the price of doing business. Sending a Private jet aka a jet provided by the RCAF you are going to pay the higher catering rates. Get over it

Canadians (as in all levels of governments and public service) will never learn. Going cheap always cost more later.

There is cheap and there is reasonable. I simply cant fathom a 200$ plate of food in our current economic climate as a reasonable expense.

If the GG is really a figure head and almost only ceremonial, why do we need them to fly around outside the country ? Should these visits not be handled by our diplomatic corps and elected officials ?

This is the price of doing business. Sending a Private jet aka a jet provided by the RCAF you are going to pay the higher catering rates. Get over it

Negative. That's peoples income that's being spent. And the masses have every right to expect proper and reasonable expenditure of those funds. As well the masses have every right question expenses.

I went and looked at the ritz Carlton menu in Abu Dhabi. I saw a hundred dollar CAD meal. No 200 dollar lunch’s

Something is missing in the math. And without a detailed actually showing of how they arrived at the number….

Negative. That's peoples income that's being spent. And the masses have every right to expect proper and reasonable expenditure of those funds. As well the masses have every right question expenses.
So why is questioning the validity of the hourly cost of sending a private/state jet somewhere also not worthy of questioning? Far cheaper to take a commercial flight, even book out a row (or pod) ahead and behind the GG for a security bubble?

So why is questioning the validity of the hourly cost of sending a private/state jet somewhere also not worthy of questioning? Far cheaper to take a commercial flight, even book out a row (or pod) ahead and behind the GG for a security bubble?

You get no fight from me. If we (The Gov of Canada) are going to spend tax payer money it should be done with a necessary operational requirement, it should be frugal and it should be open for investigation and at any time.

You get no fight from me. If we (The Gov of Canada) are going to spend tax payer money it should be done with a necessary operational requirement, it should be frugal and it should be open for investigation and at any time.
And I agree. The meal, I look at as being in the realm of ‘similarly’ more expensive proportionately, like the cost of a private jet over commercial airfare.

Back