• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting my military email address

rocksteady

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to know how I can obtain my military email address...I'm in Borden on PRETC right now awaiting my 3's course...Where do I have to go to get this done?

Thanks

Ask your supervisor.

Due to your current status, you may not get one.

rocksteady said:
I would like to know how I can obtain my military email address...I'm in Borden on PRETC right now awaiting my 3's course...Where do I have to go to get this done?

Thanks

Only people on PRETC I have ever heard of having an e-mail would be troops who are on a tasking that required them to be on a computer. Otherwise your chances of getting one are very very slim.

If you present a good case you might have a better chance of getting your DIN account established, the worst they can say is no.

With a DIN account all the regulations are at your fingertips and as a new guy sitting around waiting for your 3's, what better way to kill time than to get familiar with the regulations. 

Why do you want one ?

The reason i ask is because we have had posters here before who were just looking for LCF.

As DH mentioned if you make a good case in your request for an account, it maybe granted. You will be required to sign a form confirming that you have
read and  understand DADO 6001-1 .
To give yourself an edge read the reference ahead of time before applying for an account.

edit: to fix the reference.

Hey, if Bloggins can have one.... (he's on the DIN) so should this cool cat too!  ;D

When I was on PRETC I had one. My case was that I was tasked to Clothing Stores and REQUIRED computer access to do my job. As soon as I was done at clothing it was revoked, well, actually a day and a half before I left it was revoked. It took me over a month to get it back once I was done my 3'sand here in Edmonton (long story). My worry is that you want it so you can have the cool "Canadian Forces" network on Facebook. My 2 cents, I doubt you will need it that bad while you are sitting on PRETC.

Edit: Inspir beat me by a keystroke.

Its usually very simple;  if you have a requirement to do business (military business) on DND IS, your supervisor will normally identify that and submit a request for a Forces account for you.  These forms normally vary from base to base, but your supervisor, USO and ISSO are all normal required signatures on your account request.

Officially, CF mbrs' "Forces" accounts and DEMS (Defence Electronic Mail System) mailboxes are for official use only, and without an official requirement, a request will be denied.  

If you do get a Forces account and DEMS mailbox, remember there is no expectation of privacy, and you will be signing forms that state you understand all the rules.  FWIW, those forms have been used in Admin and Disciplinary Investigations and misuse of DND IS has resulted in formal admin and/or disciplinary action being taken, in situations I have provided SME information to the CoC for in the past.

I can't predict what your supervisor will say but...in most cases, the USO and ISSO don't question the Supervisors recommendation for access to "Protected A Storage/Protected B Processing" designated IS.  If you don't need one, don't get one.  At PRETC, you'll be bored enough to do stupid things that will get flagged, reported and potentially investigated, and you won't know its happening until its happened.
'

I though all members of the CF are entitled to DIN access and a e mail account to go along with it. On my ship we ensure all members have one.

Stoker said:
I though all members of the CF are entitled to DIN access and a e mail account to go along with it. On my ship we ensure all members have one.

That's just it, you're on ship, it's needed. This fellow is waiting 3's, to me, from being there, it appears as though they don't need this account. If tasked, yes! If no tasking that requires it, hold tight till your posted. I just hope they don't feel we're dog piling.

Chapeski said:
That's just it, you're on ship, it's needed. This fellow is waiting 3's, to me, from being there, it appears as though they don't need this account. If tasked, yes! If no tasking that requires it, hold tight till your posted. I just hope they don't feel we're dog piling.

So if a kid wants to access the DIN to look up regs, access a pub etc how do they go about doing that? Are there computers set aside for that purpose?

Stoker said:

Most people "trained and posted" have an account, as many orders/directives/etc are passed via email for day to day stuff.  Members do not need email to acccess EMAA, as an example of a legitimate IS access requirement.  Where I am at, the powers that be are even using seperate requests for GP-Net accounts, which are seemingly going by the way of AD for management, along line with all Forces accounts.  

There is a reluctance for IS Managers to give out accounts to users who are in the training system 'on mass' and for good reason.

Point to note:  you do not need a Forces account and DEMS mailbox to access the DIN.  8)

Stoker said:
So if a kid wants to access the DIN to look up regs, access a pub etc how do they go about doing that? Are there computers set aside for that purpose?

There are a few ways; 

- The unit can set up a workstation that has a locked-down generic account that allows users to access the DIN thru Internet Explorer.  Users sign for the time they log in, log off.  If something amiss happens, those questionable things are viewable thru logs, which of course have date/time stamps. 

- You can also have network accounts that simply log the person on, but the user doesn't have an Group memberships, login scripts, and all the things that allow standard users data (network drives) and the like.  No mailbox is created for the user.  They can, however, access the DIN (EMAA, CANFORGENs, QR & Os, etc).  Whether they have a smick where to look is a different story, but a good administrator will have a pre-config'd Favorites folder that he/she can give users access to.  This is the one I've seen commonly used.  We would get a list of X number of accounts, for a course, lets say.  When we created the accounts, we set them to "time out" the last day of the course, and then later would go thru and delete them, or just disable them for the next request to come thru.  Different bases have different policies and practices, and so do the different Environments.

- other times, a supervisor can provide supervised access on their own workstation, which I have also seen.

It is possible for a 'bare-bones' account to be created that provides EXTREMELY controlled and  limited access for those we wish to have so.

Stoker said:

The student could ask their staff for either a written copy of reg relating to what they are searching for (time consuming, but I've seen it done, not often), or one of the methods that Eye In The Sky Stated would work well. As the OP was looking specifically for a forces email, I'm suspecting they wanted it for facebook, or to look cool emailing home. I know when I was on PRETC with mine all of my friends asked where I got it. I admit I used it myself to get the Canadian Forces network on facebook. It's a networking tool. My thought is that unless it's really needed, shouldn't have it. I don't know why they gave me email as opposed to just regular access, I didn't need the email. That's life I guess.

What's the big deal about not giving accounts to people?   I don't quite understand!  I've had an account made for me even though I used it once in 1.5 years (we used NFTC accounts for our buisness).  If they actually created the accounts even though we didn't need it (no, we did not request it!), why can't they provide it to people sitting and waiting for a course?  Maybe I don't understand the complexity of creating accounts but be kind, I'm no IT genius. 

I don't think you can access Facebook or personnal email from the DIN... Most bases have Gen Net access though.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
I don't think you can access Facebook

Some people ( new kids looking for LCF) want a forces email adress just so they can join the CF group on facebook. I guess actualy being in the CF isnt enough. If you are not on facebook CF group, you aint in the CF i guess.......

Chapeski,

Unless we receive a specfic request that states "no DEMS access", we pump out the standard Big Mac Combo account.   :)  Thats likely why you got email.

Having an email account, IT access, the ability to login to even a PA Storage/PB Processing network possess concerns for those of us who babysit these creatures.  Providing access to these things to folks who know just enough to annoy trained troops and get themselves in trouble, is something that is usually avoided.

Every person that can access the network is a potential threat to that system. Period.

Is it that easy to get into trouble on a CF computer? How would it annoy "trained" people?

EITS, I wasn't talking about the email but the DND computer access.  I wasn't "trained" yet and didn't really need an account.  I don't think it annoyed anyone!

Back