• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting my military email address

geo said:
In accordance with DWAN Internet Access Security Policy, all Microsoft Word files (doc) are blocked at the DWAN firewalls. For access to this, you will need to use gpnet workstation as gpnet is located outside the DWAN and as such has a much lower security threshold. For access to and locations of gpnet workstations, see your local IT support personel.

Interesting, I was just reading the 1 CAD orders online yesterday and they are in word format.. 

would contend that it depends on which side of the firewall the server is located on.

The text you quoted is verbatim - cut & paste from the reply I got from

DWAN Firewall Security Analyst
Directorate, Information Management Technology, Products, & Services | Directorate, Technologies, Produits et Services Gestion de l'information
Department of National Defence | Défence Nationale
National Defence Headquarters | Quartier Général de la Défence nationale Major-General George R. Pearkes Building | Edifice Major-Général George R. Pearkes
101 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1A 0K2

No doubt, but if it is a DND regulation or order I would like to think that all that information is kept on the good side of the firewall, and not out there in the wild west.

If it is a word document from a government website (shouldn't matter what side of the wall its on) it should be good to go, but to block all word docs from outside the firewall is foolish.

The DND IT community makes no sense to me at all, after working at BIS in Esquimalt for many years and watching these IT superheroes tell us what we need for our daily operations, which usually ended up making our lives more difficult.  It damn near drove me crazy.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
The DND IT community makes no sense to me at all, after working at BIS in Esquimalt for many years and watching these IT superheroes tell us what we need for our daily operations, which usually ended up making our lives more difficult.  It damn near drove me crazy.

Too many irons in the fire, too many empires, too much resistance to change.  There has been some improvements but...I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Light at the end of the tunnel = 401 from Montreal to Toronto (Toot, Toot!)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Interesting, I was just reading the 1 CAD orders online yesterday and they are in word format.. 

Try and email an excel file.......doesnt work. Thats why the guys have to bring the schedule home before emailing it to us.

CDN Aviator said:
Try and email an excel file.......doesnt work. Thats why the guys have to bring the schedule home before emailing it to us.

That explains the emails I get at home, I just thought it was because the schedule is in a constant state of change

Although while organizing refresher training at 443 I would excel for the nominal roll, which would get sent to all participants, rations, and the school conducting the training with no issues at all from my DIN account (my last excel email went out 5 weeks ago).  Oh the hamster just woke up, so the excel goes just fine internally, but to leave the DWAN and go out on the Net it gets blocked...

What the hell good is it if we can't email basic office documents?  Those lame PPS spam emails don't seem to have a problem getting through..

CDN Aviator said:

Hmm... strange here at the school we email excel files constantly and have no problems, the only problems I get is trying to send the newer versions of excel to my DIN Account  :-\

I am always having trouble managing our applications inside the DWAN. DNDLearn barely works in there at all, and we have to beg admins to add it as a trusted site.
The latest Java update killed the CFMSS (OPME application) - SSL conflict...  luckily our Programmer in Ottawa was able to fix that server side so I didn't have to petition Baseline admins to do anything ...

I just heard we might be moving away from BASELINE within the year - not sure to what yet though.

muffin

Actually there was a notice about a month (or so) ago on the BASELINE update screen with ref to moving away from the currect baseline update process.

NFLD Sapper said:
Actually there was a notice about a month (or so) ago on the BASELINE update screen with ref to moving away from the currect baseline update process.

Yes - SMS is going to be used to push updates, patches, upgrades etc to the workstation.  I can't say how it will work exactly because that is not my section, but I hope they reduce the amount of time it takes to log in! They can push software and updates to the workstation without requiring the user to initiate the process via login script (as was the case on the 2k baseline), or services and external launchers on the DSB XP image. The question is: will they still use the slow process in conjunction with SMS?

I have been deploying software using SMS on the NCR Net (our open network) for over a year now and it is extremely effective. I also have a Pilot of users who have been receiving custom applications in the NCR on the DSB baseline via SMS. Its an update to the infrastructure that is long overdue as far as I am concerned. The problem is getting people to buy into it. 

Moody said:
Yes - SMS is going to be used to push updates, patches, upgrades etc to the workstation.  I can't say how it will work exactly because that is not my section, but I hope they reduce the amount of time it takes to log in! They can push software and updates to the workstation without requiring the user to initiate the process via login script (as was the case on the 2k baseline), or services and external launchers on the DSB XP image. The question is: will they still use the slow process in conjunction with SMS?

I have been deploying software using SMS on the NCR Net (our open network) for over a year now and it is extremely effective. I also have a Pilot of users who have been receiving custom applications in the NCR on the DSB baseline via SMS. Its an update to the infrastructure that is long overdue as far as I am concerned. The problem is getting people to buy into it. 

The resistance is with the Baseline Mafia and DSB Ops.  SMS is a MS product, where as Baseline is their satan-child.  Baseline, for the most part, could be done away with, as it really is just a desktop management and application/package delivery system that doesn't have to be around to deploy apps (SMS can do that), control your Desktop environment (GPOs can do that), push updates/Service packs (WUS can do that) or update AV software (Symantec can do that).  I will only comment on the PA B Processing/PA Storage world, where I play.

Baseline came to be with the stupid decision to use Windows NT as the Army NOS  ::) when Novell Netware would have been the much better choice.  ZENworks and NAL, even at the beginning, were head and shoulders above how we are doing business now on the Baseline-mafia system.  I understand completely why MARLANT was so resistant to the change to Windows Server 2003 and the (In-) Active Directory environment.  AD now is a far cry from Netware 5/NDS when I worked with that NOS 8 years ago.

Wow I love how everyone assumes that I wanted a CF email for facebook...I'm at CFMPA now so I'm sure I'll have one sooner or later anyway....I was just curious what the process was for getting one because I use to use my school account but now that I am done my schooling I want a stable account other than hotmail etc. that can be accessed when and wherever I need it...

rocksteady said:
Wow I love how everyone assumes that I wanted a CF email for facebook...I'm at CFMPA now so I'm sure I'll have one sooner or later anyway....I was just curious what the process was for getting one because I use to use my school account but now that I am done my schooling I want a stable account other than hotmail etc. that can be accessed when and wherever I need it...

Someone has already suggested Bell or Rogers, for one of their "Travel" kits.  That way you will have a "kit" that will travel with you and you won't have to worry about hooking up again.  I think both systems (Bell and Rogers) are wireless systems that you simply plug into any electrical outlet.  You may want to give them a closer look.  It may save you some time on your next posting, not having to look for a new Service Provider.

I'm sure you realize that the military email address is only avail to be checked on a DIN/DWAN computer and nowhere else (AFAIK).

Get a GMail account in the meantime. If you are not entitled to having a DWAN account you won't get one.

NFLD Sapper....you're right.

Regards

rocksteady said:

Maybe you didn't effin read what I wrote.  A DEMS account is not there for your use.  Get it?  Its for WORK.  Next you'll want to sign out some army guns for hunting season...

:brickwall:

This is the reason we fought long and hard to NOT open up SIEM to all users with DEMS mailboxes; previously, all users could receive email via their SMTP address, but we controlled who could send, on a user by user basis.  An actual requirement to sent email OUTSIDE of DND would have to be indentified and signed off by the users CoC; of course, there were unit personnel who were given send permissions by default, which was signed off by the COS.

Lets clarify a couple things here,  seems there a wee bit of confused terminology

DEMS - Defense Electronic Messaging System now in Phase III of implementation.  This is a means of military message transmission for PA and below designated material only
Forces Domain user account - Used to access the DWAN from a DWAN workstation
Exchange Mailbox - pretty much comes with all DWAN user accounts

It seems that DEMS and Exchange Mailbox have been used almost interchangably as of late which is not the case,  DEMS will very shortly replace the ADDN and the unclas side of MMHS,  as for a user account and mailbox,  they are not supply items,  there is no scale of issue, and no entitlement there is a requirement and as far as cost and time spent on managing these accounts, its very minor.  It is however a very usefull tool to do things such as pass orders (I have recieved countless OP Orders of the unclas type via those means) every thing that is generated from a forces domain exchange mailbox is a corporate document and held for a minimun of 7 years, yes the account is for work or education only or a combination of the 2.

but now that I am done my schooling I want a stable account other than hotmail etc. that can be accessed when and wherever I need it...

You guys can geek-tech-talk yourselves into a brawl if you wish.....that being said, the OP is ROTL when it comes to the @forces.gc.ca and what he wants it for.

Done.

Back