• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G8/G20 June 2010 Protest Watch

"Blair also apologized to Adam Nobody, 27, the man arrested and injured during the protest at Toronto's Queen's Park, for the suggestion police officers were rushing to arrest an armed criminal and that is why force was used against him."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/03/toronto-chief-123.html#ixzz1772iEqhX

Bwhahaha, poor guy. I can just imagine how his arrest went.

"Kid, I said tell me your name!"
"Nobody."
"Don't get smart with me you piss ant."
"No really, it's Nobody."
"I have had enough of this identify yourself!"
"NO BOD EE. Do I need to spell it for you?"
(This is probably around the time he got injured.)

Nemo888 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/03/toronto-chief-123.html#ixzz1772iEqhX

Quote from article:
"At least three G20-related lawsuits, with claims totalling $161 million, have been launched against the Toronto police and other officials."

Simply amazes me how these lawsuits come about.
Bust up the town, burn police cruisers, instigate trouble through blatent lawlessness, post it all on the tube, get a lawyer and sue because your toes were stepped upon ( "the anarchist retirement scheme" )
I suppose the next time they should allocate a few billion dollars to cover lawsuit costs.
What a joke

Toronto police still seeking G20 suspects, chief apologizes to protester article link

TORONTO — Months after the G20 summit in Toronto, police are still seeking suspects believed to have caused damage around Canada's most populous city.

Toronto Police released Friday the photos of 18 outstanding suspects wanted in connection with the two-day summit that took place in late June.

More than 1,000 people were arrested during the G20 summit, making it the largest mass arrest in Canadian history. The majority of the arrests did not result in criminal charges.

An estimated $2 million in property damage was caused that weekend, as a small group of protesters dressed in black ran amok in Toronto's downtown core, smashing windows of businesses and burning police cruisers.

To date, police said 39 people — from Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia — have been arrested and charged with various offences.

Meanwhile, Toronto police chief William Blair apologized Friday for comments made earlier that inferred a YouTube video of protester-police clashes had been tampered with to remove the reason why force was used by some officers.

In an interview with CBC Radio on Monday, Blair suggested that five seconds of missing tape "may have been deliberate and done with an intent to mislead." But a statement released Friday said "there is no evidence to suggest this was done."

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

Sapplicant said:
To be fair, savage beatings at the hands of LEO's is nothing new.
You're using fairness and savage beatings by members of the LEO community in the same sentence?  8)
No, police brutality is not new. But it's getting reported more and more. Their getting caught more and more.  In policing (Container correct me if I am wrong) trust, public image, accountability and honour are paramount to positive policing.

From my perspective, what went on at the g20 was pretty tame as far as police brutality goes.

As far as police crushing the heads of drunks or 15 year old girls? Ya it was pretty tame with the world  watching.  Without a doubt protesters and trouble makers went out of their way to run into the police to test them, like children testing their parents. I don't have sympathy for them getting their collective pee pee's slapped. I really like seeing trouble makers get beat down. I wish the police would have just obliterated the black bloc.

The police crap the bed because they allowed their officers to look unprepared and especially uninformed.  I know the police can't afford to get into the trap of debating law and politics with some punkass protester but in a lot of the videos the cops sound clueless and out of their league.  I'm not sure if they weren't briefed properly or if they were told to just act vague.  Either way it looks like the police (higher ups) purposely withheld the finer details of that 5 meter crap. And now they look silly when they make statements like "police officers were rushing to arrest an armed criminal and that is why force was used against him" only to have the police chief retract the statements or try and drop a crappy excuse.  Like Container is mentioning.

We're not being disloyal to our brothers in blue when we point out if they screw up and say "you could do better", we do it to ourselves all the time. 

Would we feel different if police were accused of pooching things at a mass VA protest where bystanders supporting Vets got injured? Where we got arrested under a special law that the cop arresting you could barely explain?

I hate hippies and left wing "I know my rights" idiots. These protests were a huge waste of time and the only thing the media cared about, or that got aired, wasn't what they were protesting-just the violence. I'm biased I admit it. One side of me would have liked to see more water cannons used and some German landsharks.  Another side of me says 'What happpens if it's us'. 

Grimaldus said:
trust, public image, accountability and honour are paramount to positive policing.

No one has to correct you on that 'master key' statement. :salute:

Grimaldus said:
In policing (Container correct me if I am wrong) trust, public image, accountability and honour are paramount to positive policing.

I would suggest effectiveness be added there too. But yeah I agree with you- and I think there is a politicization of policing that is causing a slip in quality.

I had a conversation with some higher ups not to long ago about diversity in policing. My main point was I thought we were off base with the way we tried to get small ethnic communities to trust us. I pointed out the the NWMP received the trust and cooperation of natives by being honest, keeping their word, and being fair. Sure we should try and diversify the force- but as long as behind the scenes we're lacking the rest of the requirements it means nothing.

Middle eastern folks didnt move to Canada to see government agents act similar (although not to the same extent) no matter the color of their skin. If we are officers of honor we will attract the men and women of honor in their communities as well....

Id like a return to tough but fair. Smart and compassionate. None of this will happen until we restore the pride in the uniform (speaking from an RCMP point of view) where we couldnt stand to see an officer act contrary to the good reputation of the force. Im just day dreaming im sure.

Container said:
I would suggest effectiveness be added there too.

Based on what I remember, I think TPS is less effective now. Back then, to me, the unofficial motto seemed to be, "Give no slack and take no sh^t from anyone.  Confront and command.  Control the streets at all times.  Always be aggressive.  Stop crimes before they happen.  Seek them out.  Shake them down.  Make that arrest.  Never admit that the department has done anything wrong."
From: "To Protect and To Serve: The LAPD's Century of War in the City of Dreams"

Our old Metro force certainly made a positive impression on me.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=3926521

Heres an interesting and I would hazard to say balanced article on use of force. In the middle the use of force trainer mentions how the large cops of the former generations had to use force less often. You hear it whispered about often in the messes of each police force. Kinda like MarioMike mentions

I agree with the sentiment. I am a large police officer. I dont have as many difficulties as some of my coworkers. When I use force its also more effective- when I put wrist locks and arm bars on people it goes quicker......once in a while though some guys want to "try me out". But its short lived- in my experience its been beneficial more often than its been a hinderance.

ANYWAYS slightly off topic but it kinda explains some use of force stuff.

Grimaldus said:
Can't tell if that's sarcasim or not but probably not since I'm usually really smart so thank you!

I'm thinking if he is throwing the " :salute:" in there then its a BZ for you.

When I watched the G20 stuff in Toronto, all I could think about was how it was probably 95% or more a white shirt screw up and not the guys on the ground... from what I know about the military in a large exercise (especially a reserve one where everyone is trying to make a name for themselves) Command and Control can be really hard... it looked like the officers were told to stand down on the Saturday, and then when the media tried to make them look like ineffective idiots, they said "Oh yeah? well, drop the hammer on Sunday!"

In my opinion, I thought that from what I saw the officers on the ground did a terrific job given all things considered... They were put in a total no-win situation right from the get go and made the best of it...

hey, major protests, yet no loss of life, or major injury... If all the hippies can come up with are a few bruises from resisting arrest and a couple of hurt feelings, well too bad so sad...

If an officer needs to be disciplined for wrongdoing during the summit, then so be it... but enough with the freekin SIU witch hunt!

Nemo888 said:
"Blair also apologized to Adam Nobody, 27, the man arrested and injured during the protest at Toronto's Queen's Park, for the suggestion police officers were rushing to arrest an armed criminal and that is why force was used against him."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/03/toronto-chief-123.html#ixzz1772iEqhX

Bwhahaha, poor guy. I can just imagine how his arrest went.

"Kid, I said tell me your name!"
"Nobody."
"Don't get smart with me you piss ant."
"No really, it's Nobody."
"I have had enough of this identify yourself!"
"NO BOD EE. Do I need to spell it for you?"
(This is probably around the time he got injured.)

December 7, 2010
Arrest video of Adam Nobody shot from a different angle than the Youtube video:
http://www.thestar.com/videozone/902663

mariomike said:
December 7, 2010
Arrest video of Adam Nobody shot from a different angle than the Youtube video:
http://www.thestar.com/videozone/902663

See those baton strikes they've highlighted- when you are in a grouop trying to arrest a guy who has burried his arms under his body or is holding an officer or biting them (but it could again just be holding his arms underneath himself- there is no evidence otherwise, its just from experience) the baton is shoved into the space between ribs. Its hurts like the dickens and is meant to get the hands free and behind the back.

I thought in the other video there was a big fliurry of punches? This new video "obtained by the Star" doesnt show an assault. The other one maybe- I dont know the facts. But this one is normal accepted and taught response, I would suggest an everyday occurence somewhere in Canada.

The editorial attached to the video is an example of exactly why i cant read the Star. Its brutal.

Container said:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/12/07/ombudsman-g20-security-rule-report856.html

A little more on the secret law.

Thi sentence in particular in revealing-

"The ombudsman's report said the regulation gave police "extravagant" authority. And because it gave them such powers, the government should have done more to make sure police knew exactly what powers it gave them, the report said"

The Sun wrote an editorial on that today:
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editorial/2010/12/07/16464851.html
"G20 continues to be the nightmare that never ends. It’s $1 billion down the toilet, and the scarring continues."

The Sun's Joe Warmington had this to say today:
"Get back here Chief Bill Blair and face this G20 mess you created!
What kind of police chief is out of town on a day when the ombudsman puts the very credibility of his service on the line?
One that should be fired!":
http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnists/joe_warmington/2010/12/07/16465861.html

Edit to add
Globe and Mail
8 December, 2010
"Government should have been transparent about G20 law, McGuinty concedes:  Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has accepted responsibility for his government's role in handing special powers to police that violated people's civil liberties during the G20 summit last summer.":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/government-should-have-been-transparent-about-g20-law-mcguinty-concedes/article1829762/

That's because the only folks in Ontario who haven't tuned this clown of an Ombudsman out are the media..............and when you get down to it that's all the Office is, a glorified media-op.

I know I said that I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore, but I think it's important that we see the violence inherent in the system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY

Wonderbread said:
I know I said that I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore, but I think it's important that we see the violence inherent in the system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKIWjnEPNY

Well played.  ;D

Sun:
Today's editorial:
"Harper dances away from G20: While his rendition of Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline may be the talk of Ottawa, Prime Minister Stephen Harper is probably still focused on his favourite Beatles tune -- With A Little Help From My Friends -- now that the billion-plus he blew on the G8/G20 summit has been wiped from the front pages by different cries of outrage.":
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editorial/2010/12/10/16505711.html

Grimaldus said:
Why did Harper move the summit meeting to TO at the last minute?

Principally PPP* in the PCO. It was a political (pork barrel variety) decision to have the G8 in Muskoka, but simple logistics dictated that Deerhurst, while 'nice' for the G8, could not accommodate the G20. The PCO is supposed to prevent these sorts of things, but ...

----------
Piss Poor Planning

Back