• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G8/G20 June 2010 Protest Watch

That's not what I asked for. You have simply introduced one more red herring.  Claiming he was innocently testing the system is like a shoplifter claiming to be "just testing store security" when caught.

Clean up your approach to posting, answer the questions your posts provoke, or you will be having to find a new place to camp and spout your rhetoric.

These punks do use the internet to gather information on other terrorists factions, and actually
leave messages to each other. But finding holes in security networks ? Really now.
For an interesting read on this: From the Los Angeles Times
Internet making it easier to become a terrorist:
  http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/11/nation/la-na-internet-jihad12-2010mar12

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/827139--g20-fashions-for-the-militant-and-fabulous

G20 fashions for the militant and fabulousWear the wrong thing, get tear gassed

Published On Wed Jun 23 2010Email Print Republish Add to Favourites Report an error Share Share  Article

This easy-to-wash cotton/polyester ensemble will definitely be noticed by police. An optional bandana is made with polyester to protect from noxious fumes, but it also pampers the protestor with the luxury of satin.

KATIE DAUBS/TORONTO STAR

Dressing for G20 protests is tricky. Look too corporate and you might be paintbombed. Dress like a militant protester, you run the risk of being tear gassed.

But have a stylist help you, you look fabulous.

“If you’re leading (these protests) and you know pictures are being taken of you, why not look good?” said Kathryn McEwen, the general manager of Queen St. W. boutique Fashion Crimes.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, former RCMP officer and security expert Chris Mathers had more conservative advice.

“Don’t go,” he said. “That’s how you should dress.”

So many options.

If you’re the rabble-rousing, tear-gas-loving type who won’t be held back by mere warnings, synthetic fabrics are your best bet since tear gas sticks to natural fibres. Bandanas soaked in vinegar are a snazzy, yet functional accessory if you don’t have a gas mask handy when noxious fumes fly. A helmet is also a good idea if you anticipate being close to the fence, where projectiles are more likely to rain from the sky.

The Canadian Labour Congress expects a peaceful protest this Saturday, which is perfect for cotton blends and natural fabrics.

“Wear something comfortable, something light. Make sure you’ve got sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat would be advisable. Flip flops are not a good idea,” spokesman Jeff Atkinson said.

Atkinson said people should keep their Armani at home if they’re looking to blend in with labour activists. Black clothing, scarves and bandanas will attract police attention, but Atkinson said people shouldn’t shy away from any of those things, because lots of peaceful protestors wear them in solidarity. Solidarity never goes out of style, with the exception of one or two cults.

Black, the refuge of brooding artists, the late Johnny Cash and goths, is the colour of choice for militant protesters who hang out near the fence. It is also slimming.

“It might not be the best fashion decision for the day,” Atkinson said, noting the humid forecast. “But if it is overcast, you might want to get your black out.”

Mathers said covering your face with a bandana is an indication to police that you could be trouble. He mused on advice for the protester looking to steer clear of police and militant attention.

“Plaid?” he offered. “I hate to think of people at home in their closet missing the protest because they can’t make a fashion decision.”

Michael O'Leary said:
That's not what I asked for. You have simply introduced one more red herring.  Claiming he was innocently testing the system is like a shoplifter claiming to be "just testing store security" when caught.

Clean up your approach to posting, answer the questions your posts provoke, or you will be having to find a new place to camp and spout your rhetoric.

wtf.gif

I guess you need to be more specific or give me a script, as I did answer your question. I made a suggestion hence the use of words "maybe" in that sentence I wrote and quoted in my previous post, not a claim. Also provided the exact quote that I based my suggestion on.

mellian said:
wtf.gif

I guess you need to be more specific or give me a script, as I did answer your question. I made a suggestion hence the use of words "maybe" in that sentence I wrote and quoted in my previous post, not a claim. Also provided the exact quote that I based my suggestion on.

This was very specific. 

Michael O'Leary said:
Can you provide an official reference for this "I was just curious" legal defence you seem to be alluding to?

And I am through with your meandering and useless contribution here.

Good bye.

Milnet.ca Staff

I like this part ;D

On the opposite end of the spectrum, former RCMP officer and security expert Chris Mathers had more conservative advice.

“Don’t go,” he said. “That’s how you should dress.”

Good one

Globe & Mail columnist nails it:
.... The fact is that activists find the violent fringe useful. Violence draws television cameras – if it bleeds, it leads – and cameras draw attention to the struggle. Activist leaders may not throw bricks themselves, but many will be quite content if others do.

And when it happens, you can be sure they will blame the violence entirely on the police.

To sock the copper and cry police brutality when he hits back is the oldest trick in the book. Activists are already calling the fence and the massed police a “provocation” – in other words, a green light for brick tossing ....

Also, some posts from the Twitter feed of  the IT security chap arrested this week:

<a href="http://twitter.com/torontogoat/status/16557213438"> don't forget design flaw in most G20 fence: holes are small enough to thread big  bolts in for extra leverage and grip #g20report</a>

<a href="http://twitter.com/torontogoat/status/16515556933">these would be  handy for scaling G20 fences; the ones I have at home would fit the smaller grid  fence http://tinyurl.com/36hs6vp #g20report</a>

<a href="http://twitter.com/torontogoat/status/16268806757">New videos of G20  Fence line finished uploading http://www.youtube.com/user/torontogoat these ones  got me some police trouble #g20report</a>

More here.

This from the Canadian Press:
The common-law partner of a man facing charges in a G20 security investigation has now been charged with explosives offences.

Thirty-seven-year-old Kristen Peterson of Toronto, has been charged with possession of an explosive device and possession of weapon for a dangerous purpose, and is due in court today at 2 p.m.

Toronto and provincial police executed search warrants Wednesday at residences in the Township of Tiny, about 150 kilometres north of Toronto, and in the Township of Lake of Bays, near Algonquin park ....

Toronto Police Service release attached.

...what caused yesterday's earthquake  ::)
The Canadian police state got a taste of our geological power today at 1:43pm, as we made our first strike against the G20 — a 5.5 earthquake which was unjustly downgraded to a 5.0 by the USGS. However, our tectonic rage will not be contained by the arbitrary hegemony of the Richter scale — we make it quake, in total solidarity with the exploited, regardless.

We used isostatic rebound to f*** up your s***, interrupting the flow of commerce and the tranquility of your Starbucks coffee, striking abject terror into the hearts of yuppies’ parakeets, mildly unsettling pedestrians, and causing a stack of business cards to fall over in the Ottawa office of National Post political columnist Don Martin. The National Post was targeted for its Zionist tendencies.

We know this action will be characterized as terrorism. We envisage the criminalization of our revolt with serenity.

ARE YOU QUAKING IN YOUR BOOTS
Uh, yeah...

Obviously someone's not sharing their meds with the voices in their head...

MM

large group meandering about 1,000+ meanderign about downtown. Bumped into them around 1230-1300 at Nathan Phillips Square and they were heading north up Bay. Was advised they were moving down Yonge from Bloor about 30 minutes ago.

Plenty of cops in crowd control gear in groups around the core. I can see about 60-80 near Wellesley Subway station.

...from Toronto's Chief of Police - via CBC.ca:

Police have arrested one man after he allegedly tried to drive a car containing "possible dangerous material" close to the G20 summit area in downtown Toronto.

The car contained sticks, an axe handle and gasoline, Toronto police Chief Bill Blair told CBC News on Thursday.

The Canadian Press reported two blue containers and at least three gas cans could be seen on the road, and a chainsaw, apparently taken from the car, was on the sidewalk.

A crossbow was also found, police say.

The man — according to witnesses, he is 53 and from Ontario — was arrested on The Esplanade, a street close to the Sony Centre on Front Street.

(....)

(Chief Bill) Blair warned others about bringing "anything that could be used as a weapon or might be construed as a weapon" into the area.

"It will undoubtedly draw the attention of the authorites," Blair said. "If you don't want that attention, don't bring weapons into the area."
Too easy, right?

More on the incident here via the National Post.

Unconfirmed reports have the guy arrested as driving a Hyundai, and having a cross bow, a chain saw and cans of gasoline.

It appears the either the zombie apocalypse is hear (hey earthquakes and tornados already) or the lead anti G-20 protestor is Ash

24.jpg

Hmm based on the march I saw earlier maybe it is the zombie thing. The group was kind of shambling along and the first word that came to mind was "bovine."
::)

Still watching to see if/when the TPS arrest a mouthy roller derby queen? >:D

Danjanou said:
Still watching to see if/when the TPS arrest a mouthy roller derby queen? >:D
Now that she has more free time?  :nod:

It looks like the police in Toronto are certainly watching something closely...

daftandbarmy said:
It looks like the police in Toronto are certainly watching something closely...

"Alright, watch the screen, I'll point it out when they show a vuvuzela.  Remember, if those show up in the protests trying to drown out the sound cannons, we're authorized to shoot on sight. Any questions?"

Back