• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G-Wagon turret

rick7475

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any stories or more pics of the new G-Wagon turret. What weapons can it support (C-6 only?).

Article and pic can be found here:

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?FlashEnabled=1&id=669

I would be interested if it has been successful, if there are stress problems, if it is practical, etc.

Thanks,
Rick

Those things look way outdated I can't believe we have those.  We should replace them with Humvees ;D

From the video, they can mount a .50 cal or a C6.  I believe the armoured school was (is) experimenting with diffeferent grenade launchers and Anti-armour.

The G-Wagen turret was "invented" by two Patricias, a Sgt and a CSM, in conjunction with NRC.

It went from concept to deployed in less than two months, no contractors, bids, or government interference.

By all the accounts I've heard, it has saved lives a few times, although it does make the vehicle a little top heavy.

In any event, it is head and shoulders above what we had before - which was nothing.

"The G-Wagen turret was "invented" by two Patricias, a Sgt and a CSM, in conjunction with NRC"

Wow.  That's cool.

It would seem to me a very practical innovation. Have any other members of foreign militaries commented on it?

Dont other countries (I guess I mean Germany) have some G-Wagens with turrets?   Nothing fancy, just a gun on a rotating mount.
But I was wondering about a turret ever since they were put into our service.

And CanadianBoy, if you are still lurking around, The G-Wagens are pretty much as old as the HMMWVs, a little older really, but that is for the first of the line stuff that MB was first trying to sell off.   The ones we own were new when we bought them (unless I was lied to by many people).   I know you know nothing, and are just trying to get a rise out of the people who post here, But I will appease you just once.

But, yes, indeed, the turret should be a good addition from what little I have read about it.

rick7475 said:
It would seem to me a very practical innovation. Have any other members of foreign militaries commented on it?
There was a lot of press when it was first fielded.  Apparently the use of balistic glass to provide improved field of view is pretty cutting edge.

It would be nice to see these for the handfull of Bisons that we have over there.

The G-Wagon gun-shield design was the brainchild of MWO Billy Bolen and Sgt Chris Thombs - both members of B Coy 3 PPCLI, serving with the PRT.  The information above regarding the extremely short-term design refinement, production and implementation is accurate.  Score one for the "end-user".

The only problem is that the gun-shield is quite heavy and therefore stresses the aluminum mounting ring for the standard unprotected G-Wagon turret ring with soft weapon-mount.  The bolts that secure the up-armour package to the G-Wagon turret ring have been stripping the aluminum threads of the mounting ring, leading to failure.  The trick may be to better balance the weight of the up-armour package, thereby eliminating its current front-heavy nature.  The "tech wahlahs" are currently working in conjunction with Mercedes design personnel to address the problem. 

All agree that the gun-shield system is a "must have".  It is already firmly credited with saving at least 2 lives during a suicide bombing and the more recent IED attack.  We simply need to refine the concept so that it is sustainable without unduly stressing the stock turret assembly of the G-Wagon C&R variant.  Failing that, we look at beefing up the turret assembly to properly support the gun-shields.  Either way, those shields are the "cat's behind" and are here to stay in one form or another.  All thanks to "in-theatre soldier ingenuity", combined with a VERY refreshing willingness of the tech development system to recognize, support and immediately implement an identified operational requirement. 

Good news all around.  The minor "teething problems" will undoubtedly get sorted ASAP.

Nice to hear a good news story and kudos to the frontline guys that did this, to bad the press totally ignores this, think I will ask my politicians tonight at the all candidates meetings what they would do to encourage this type of stuff.

Necessity is the mother of invention. There was a need for a armoured G-Wagon turret that didn't impede visability, and we went and developed the turret. Simple as that.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
Now if we only apply that theroy to the MGS. Sry about the off topic.

Nice modification in short time well done. Looks like an improvement on the Israeli gun ballistic glass turret used on 113s rear gunner position in Lebanon. Cant help but wonder if we are going down a dangerous road by turreting a soft skin veh that is not a true AFV we may and appears are using the veh for tasks that a full up AFV should be doing.

RUMINT has us acquiring larger numbers of Mambas/Nyalas for use in A-stan.

These would make the LUVW a useful interim or transitional vehicle, that have performed quite well thus far.

hopefully they can forgo all the red tape and get these vehicles out to the boys and girls on the ground.

MCG said:
There was a lot of press when it was first fielded.  Apparently the use of balistic glass to provide improved field of view is pretty cutting edge.

It would be nice to see these for the handfull of Bisons that we have over there.
Cutting edge eh? I would have thought Some one would have come up with that years ago. :D

hey man what garisson are you from with the hasty p's? whats ur last name? 

cheers,

matt

"hey man what garisson are you from with the hasty p's? whats ur last name?"

Perhaps best left to PM's wouldn't you say.

Back