• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

French Foreign Legion

EVERYTHING you need to know about the FFL is in a great book I read when this thought was crossing my mind as well called, "Life in the French Foreign Legion".  It is pretty much an information book, and a story about a guy from BC (Evan McGorman...the author) who was in the FFL for a while.  It tells you everything you need to know, plus some stories about his experiences.  How to Join, what to expect and when, he even tells you the best tricks of going Awol...He never did though, and apparently it happens a lot in the FFL...though few are successful.  He also tells it waht seems straight up, he went to Bosnia for a while with the FFL when it was pretty dangerous over there, and went to Africa.  He in no way romantacizes the life...he makes it very clear what type of person you have to be to ssurvive in the Legion, let alone actually enjoy it.

You can get it off of Amazon.ca....or im sure you can get it ordered through any other book store.It's $20 CDN, and if you are seriously considering the FFL, and you want detailed information (it even tells you exactly what physical fitnesss tests are done, etc...and all about the identity changing etc) this is it, from a Canuck who has done it, and is now retired in BC.

Check this site out, alot of info. Got it off the 1PPCLI website(official)

http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/chapter1.htm#whatisffl

calno

Off hand I've got to agree with Allan re not doing this, and for the same reasons, but hey your call.

Re the ID thing, yes you are given an new identity, although it's not mandatory, and after 3 years IIRC you may request to switch back to your original name if you so choose. Now bear in mind you don't get to choose your new name/nationality it's rather arbitrary. Should you choose to keep it, you can be issued appropriate identity papers in that name after the completion of your contract. Mind that's the traditional reason for joining, to bury your past and later get a fresh start in life.

Bear in mind my info is rather dated and things may have changed. As Infanteer suggested check this out with their official sources. There was a few threads on the Legion here a while back with links, a site search should dig them up. 

I would presume that should you wash out or be rejected at any point your original documents Identity are returend to you along with the proverbial train ticket back to where you joined up (Brest, Paris, Strasbourg)

What do you guys think about the FFL, it's fighting abilities, training, pt, guns/equipment/ammo ...etc? From what I have heard they are considered to be one of the best fighting forces in the world, us reservists' aside;), and have a fascinating history with several distinguished battles..  also, how do you think the average Infanteer would stack up beside your typical "Kepi-Blanc"?

This subject has been discussed at length. Do a search of the forums, you will find a lot of info on the FFL". By "distinguished battles" I guess you are referring to something like Camerone, where they lost the battle and only 8 Legionnaires survived ?

Distinguished does not necessarily mean won, however, Camerone was on my mind while I wrote my first post, I was hoping for more recent exploits which there isn't easily accessible literature about.. ie, any involvements after the "Humanitarian Mission in Rwanda"
in regards to your statement that only "8" survived, well,

"L'assaut final est donne. Bientot il ne reste autour de Maudet que cinq hommes: le caporal Maine, les legionnaires Catteau, Wensel, Constantin, Leonhard. Chacun garde encore une cartouche; ils ont la baïonnette au canon et, refugies dans un coin de la cour, le dos au mur, ils font face; a un signal, ils dechargent leurs fusils a bout portant sur l'ennemi et se pre- cipitent sur lui a la baionnette. Le souslieutenant Maudet et deux legionnaires tombent, frappes a mort. Maine et ses deux camarades vont être massacres quand un officier mexicain se precipite sur eux et les sauve; il leur crie: «Rendez-vous! » -
«Nous nous rendrons si vous nous promettez de relever et de soigner nos blesses et si vous nous laissez nos armes ». Leurs baïonnettes restent menaçantes.
«On ne refuse rien a des hommes comme vous! » repond l'officier. "
I do believe that there were only 3 survivors, as the above text illustrates.....

QORvanweert said:
I do believe that there were only 3 survivors, as the above text illustrates.....
You may be right... There are many versions to that story. Here is another one: http://www.herodote.net/histoire04301.htm
While I was on a course with the FFL, some Legionnaires told me 2 men had survived... choose the version you prefer, I think there is a lot of romance around that battle...
In the mean time, I will close down this topic. Use the search engine with your question, then if you still have questions, come back and ask them.
Have fun...

hey,
  after spending 6 years sitting on my *** in the canadian army wasting my time ive decided to go out and join a real fighting unit. im off to try out for the french foreign legion to see what it is like to be in a real army.
  my question is, after 5 years away will i have to redo my basic and QL3 again ? the only reason i would rejoin the CF is because im not going to spend my whole life in the FFL and the army is the one thing im really good at, so might as well come back here and live the easy life and get a big paycheck while im at it.

Watch your wallet and stay alive. They pay you in cash and if you leave it alone it has been know to walk away. Why not try the royal marines if you want to get into hair area's of the world.

Your going to the REAL army? Hell I thought that line was just for people talking about the reserves when in the  reg force. 
If you spent 6 years "sitting on your ass and wasting your time"theres probably a good reason for it.  Maybe your one of the soldiers who gets tasked with being a barracks NCO for 4 years, because your battalion wants you back oh so bad.

well first off i said a real fighting force, i never said canada isnt a real army. 2nd off there was a reason i spent those 6 years on my ass, i was dumb enough to join a unit where the type of soldier you are depended on how good the stories you tell are. tell you what, you go into work tomorrow and you look around, whatever unit you are in, whether it be 3 PPCLI, 4 ESR, RCDs' or the 432nd worchesire, glockshire, and whiltshire crazy hats, take a look around. look at the people you work with and ask yourself how hard it is for the average joe to get to where you are. its not hard, especially if you are a bitch, faggot or ethnic minority who walks in when the CF has one of their quotas to fill.
  ive served with people who had so much potential it pissed me off to no end to see them not getting the challenges they wanted. these same people getting passed over for promotion because they dont lick enough bag. i was one of those guys,  and after enough time i decided to go out and get the challenge i deserved.
  you can knock what im saying all you want, but look around and it will hit you, there are plenty of great soldiers in the CF, some of the best in the world, but there is so many things holding them back from being what they really can be.
  but anyways, i didnt write the post to get into a debate about the canadian army, ive done that enough and ive heard all sides of the story. to the MEN in the canadian army who try to be more than the army will let them i have nothing but respect for you. i know what its like to have to do pt at lunch and after work because you have to run at a slow pace in the morning because of all the fat asses who know that as long as they show up they will move up the ranks.
  so if anyone can answer my question about whether or not i will have to do basic and QL3 again i would appreciate it. thanks, and keep up the good work.
  oh yeah, and no you wont see me in 3 months, sorry but im not going to fail this like you did your mighty mo QL3 course buddy.

Have fun......they are going to eat you ALIVE

Then you can come back....and do your basic courses all over again, because they will become obsolete  >:D

Regards

legionnaire said:
      oh yeah, and no you wont see me in 3 months, sorry but im not going to fail this like you did your mighty mo QL3 course buddy.

Seems to me like you've already failed life. Congrats on choosing the french army. You'll help the long standing tradition of providing material for jokes around the world. Well YOU won't because YOU wont get in.

well i see you guys are sitting on the internet while you should be at work, or are you all just maggots who pretend to be in the army and come onto a website to talk about how tough you are and how many kills you got on roto 15 in bosnia ?
  so i did say canada isnt a real army, it is true, but there are real soldiers in it.
  and to you mr white, tell you what, you come say this to my face and ill be happy to pluck that feather out of your elephant slipper and make you eat it

legionnaire said:
    look at the people you work with and ask yourself how hard it is for the average joe to get to where you are. its not hard, especially if you are a *****, faggot or ethnic minority who walks in when the CF has one of their quotas to fill.

Glad to see you leaving.

Before you go, you might want to see a Doctoc and get that chip removed from your shoulder.

legionnaire said:
well i see you guys are sitting on the internet while you should be at work, or are you all just maggots who pretend to be in the army and come onto a website to talk about how tough you are and how many kills you got on roto 15 in bosnia ?
  so i did say canada isnt a real army, it is true, but there are real soldiers in it.
  and to you mr white, tell you what, you come say this to my face and ill be happy to pluck that feather out of your elephant slipper and make you eat it

Internet tough guy alert

And second of all calling yourself a legionaire before even showing up at the castle is nice way to ensure being a failure. A legionaire would have a fit if he heard that. IF you do go that bit of advice will save you a few teeth. It would be a shame to flunk out of the legion and then come back to Canada with a nasty dental infection and not be able to rejoin the fake army for your "fat paycheck"

you still didnt explaing why you are sitting online when you are supposed to be some bug tough soldier, perhaps you could clear that one up for me.
  and about the name, sorry it was the first thing that came to mind, i guess i could have spent half an hour coming up with something cool like mr mp5 and picking out a photo to show everyone how tough i am, but i just typed the first thing that came to mind

legionnaire said:
you still didnt explaing why you are sitting online when you are supposed to be some bug tough soldier,

Well I hope you don't have much spelling to do tough man.  :salute:

Back