• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

French Foreign Legion

JasonH

Inactive
Reaction score
Education Requirements French Foreign Legion

Just curious if they are the same as the Canadian Requirements if there are requirements getting into the French Foreign Legion education wise.     :warstory:

Your poor grammatical structure makes your question unintelligible.   However, the official word can be found at the French Embassy here:

http://www.ambafrance-us.org/atoz/legion/index.asp

Ahaha I wrote that half awake, I'm so tired it's not even funny  :D :p

to be between the age of 17 and 40 years old (Parental or legal tutor authorization is required for minors),
to hold a valid official identity card,
to be physically fit for duty wherever he may be needed,
knowledge of the French language is not necessary because it will be acquired during the contract.

I knew that but is that all?

Like here you need "Your grade 10 minimum" type thing, I take it the legion has no requirements for this.

One other question I could not find.

When enlisting you can give up your identity and be given a whole new one.  Now if I were to wash out or what not half way through if I were to join (eek heh) would I still retain this new identity?  Or be thrown back my old one, no exceptions.

My advice would be to watch any documentaries that you can find on the Legion. I saw one a few years back, and even though it was an "authorized" documentary, they didn't treat their recruits with kid gloves. If you don't understand French, you will learn all right: you get a punch in the stomach if you answer a question wrong. Brutal stuff for anyone used to our huggy kissy military. From what I saw, there were a lot of Walter Mitty wannabe's trying to get in, and they washed out quick  :crybaby:. The people trying to gain a new identity (ie. criminals) made out better as they were more motivated  :rage: A fair to middling movie that somewhat deals with a guy joining the Legion is The Savior with Dennis Quaid. He's a US army officer, and he offs a bunch of people in a mosque because his wife was killed by muslim extremists, and then joins the Legion (and then becomes a mercenary in the Balkans).

Too many people have unrealistic romantic notions about serving in the Legion (or any military for that matter). And dying for another country, and being treated like shit doesn't rank high on my list of priorities. If you want to start over and want to be a hard troop, good place.

Al

I'm only 18 and I've already made quite a few mistakes for myself.

I don't have much of a family life outside my niece.  I adore her but the new identity is extremly motivateing piece that has caught my eye.  I've never been one to have romantic notions of military life and I actually prefer a military to have corporal punishment.  Certainly put you in your place, even if I'd wind up on the end of the whacking stick if that ever occured.  I've always been good at learning french, did good in school for it so I'm sure I could get the hang of it pretty quick.  I herd the majority of people who go in don't speak it anyways.  Who knows, maybe after 5 years (if I don't wash out, I'm imagening it to be hell).  I'd be comeing back to the CF unless I like being in the legion.

You might want to change your profile, as it says you are 23. You also state that your MOC is 031, but you are in BC. I suspect you are R031. People actually read the profiles, you know......

At 18, you'd be foolish to do what you are thinking of doing. The Legion would chew you up and spit you out. They are hard assed soldiers, because they have to be. I doubt you have done anything at your age that would cause you to start afresh. Jacking a car stereo is hardly the end of the world, and if it was anything worse, you would be in prison, and unable (I would hope) to be able to post messages here. I think teen angst is controlling your thought processes right now. Giving up your life as you know it now to embark on a romantic adventure is far from the most sensible thing you can do. It's your life, but use your hamburger-fed computer (brain) before you do something as serious as that.

Al

I've yet to tinker with my profile since I joined, did it just so it wasn't blank  :dontpanic:

Anyways at the topic at hand. 

It's a real toss up of what I'd like to do.  For several years I've wanted to be in the Army and be Infantry.  And I have the chance to now.

I don't know it's nearly impossible to explain my position on this, it's a personal issuie more then anything.  And if I were a criminal the FFL wouldn't accept me anyways, their background checks will disqualify you now unlike old days won't it?

But the information provided is appreciated, it's just what I do within the next few weeks that'll decide what I want to do with my life.  I want the adventure of going out and seeing the world and everything else and I understand I can do that simply joining the CF, god knows we could use the personal.  But I don't quite know if the CF is for me?  I'm not sure but I'm sure to find out within the next 2-3 weeks.

Jay Hunter said:
to be between the age of 17 and 40 years old (Parental or legal tutor authorization is required for minors),
to hold a valid official identity card,
to be physically fit for duty wherever he may be needed,
knowledge of the French language is not necessary because it will be acquired during the contract.

I knew that but is that all?

Like here you need "Your grade 10 minimum" type thing, I take it the legion has no requirements for this.
When I trained with the FFL, we received a recruiting briefing from a FFL officer. After the briefing, we asked one of their Sgts about the prerequisites for joining; he replied, half jokingly, that if we had two arms and two legs we met the requirements...  ::) Needless to say, none of us were interested...
Right now, Legion recruits come mostly from East European countries...  :eek:

Don't forget the side order of guts and courage and you're in lol.

Sounds like my type of thing.  I hear the majority of new recruits are between 17-25 but only 30 in 350 ever make it or something like that.

Who knows, maybe if I do join I'll wash out and come crawling back to the CF... man that'd be an ego killer but hey it'd be nice to know I'd be the few who tried.
But I'd definitly leave the future open for another go at it  :soldier:

Maybe if your attitude is "CF is second" you should stay away from it. Goto the legion. And don't bother come home. I doubt your tough enough if you live upto your user name "ston3r". Don't come crawling back because we don't want you.

Hey now don't turn this into a flame war please.  I'm trying to keep it civil and I mean no ill-words towards the members.  I don't think of CF as "second place".

It's just I'm breezing through the militaries and what they might have to offer.  You know some people might wanna give a few years to a country here and say go to britain or australia (One member for example, Wes.. or so I believe thats his reason).  But in any case it's more of the "experiance the world" type thing... I know I contradict myself a lot but I've never been to grand on explaining myself.

Friend of mine at the end of high school joined the Legion.  His last semester in high school was OAC french.
He was extremely physically fit, very motivated to do well and a natural athlete.  His father had been an MP in the USARMY and his cousin became a Royal Marine Commando.

My buddy went to France, got thru the selection process allright, and essentially dissapeared off the face of the earth for the next six months.  I spoke to him again at the end of his five year hitch.  Here's what happened:

Did Basic Legion training, was selected for one of the Para-Commando Regimets, (not all Legionairres end up as infantry - he was a shoe-in however) did four phases of infantry training incuding Jungle Warfare(the time he was closest to giving up), arctic/mountain, desert and FIBUA, as well as airborne quals and all sorts of nasty para-commando stuff.  Training was brutal.  A good example?  Didn't shave close enough one morning to the satisfaction of his training "caporal" who then proceeded to burn the stubble of his face with a lighter.  I am not making that up.  Swimming across the pool carrying giant chunks of concrete.  Morning runs around the castle included a confidence jump over a gap over a sixty foot fall.  No net.  No hugs.  No excuses.

Many Euro nations sent elite troops to South America in the early 90's (probably Columbia but he never came clean with me)to fight narcos.  He lost his first friend there and had to carry his semi-decomposed body out of the bush at the end of that engagment.
Spent time protecting "French Interests" in sub-saharn Africa, where he lost another friend during a riot of some sort.
One of the first units into Kuwait during Operation Desert Storm were the Legion in APCs who fought so far and fast they overshot their objectives in the first 72 hours in a big way. Showed me photos of sitting in the desert with a shamag around his face, surrendering Iraquis, blown-up T72s, etc.  Sobering stuff.

Two Yanks tried to escape from Basic during the first few weeks.  Were chased, grabbed, beaten and thrown in jail courtesy of the Legion.  Who knows for how long.

Learned French so quick and dirty in an environment so bloody intense he spoke with a heavy french accent for years afterwards. That, friends and neighbours, weirded me out in a big way.  Used to get the shakes so bad if he didn't down a 26er of alchohol by 10 o'clock at night.  Another bit of weirdness.  Fell off a cliff during arctic/mountain phase training and was saved by virtue of the fact that he had bergens strapped to both his front and his back - cushioned his fall somewhat. 

Did five years and became a training "caporal" himself.  Woke up his candidates at three in the morning every morning by throwing all their kit out the window of the castle they inhabit during basic.  Had them climb up buildings using the water pipes along the outside.  Again, no net, no hugs, no SHARP training.  Massive amount of trg injuries.  Many people getting weird during their hitch.  Many coming home feeling neither Canadian nor French. 

He gave his airborne wings and all decorations to his little brother and had little interest in keeping them or extending his hitch.  Left after five hard years and rarely speaks of it anymore.

Just a little dose of reality to anyone seriously considering joining.  Politically, be aware that you would essentially be enforcing French interests in former colonies and that may put you in morally ambiguous situations.

Be aware of what you're getting yourself into and decide whether it's worth the white kepi.

Mr. Ted

the challenge is there for sure. However my recent readings say that they have lightened up in the last couple years, however that could be bogus. Makes me wonder if Im man enough.....Id like to think I am.....

What the hell is with you posting 3 post in a row?

Do it all in one, save my scroll mouse the wear and tare :)

Thank you ted about that information it's very much appreciated!

Sorry about the 3 posts

All I can say is be very, very sure you want in.  The first hitch is 3 - 5 years(I don't recall which) and you can't get out of the Legion before that initial hitch is done.  Trg is not a walk in the park.

You may want to join a reserve infantry unit and see how you measure up.  You may find it harder than you thought.  Especially dealing with little to no sleep for extended periods.  Ain't nothing worse than being on an Ex where you get no sleep because you're patrolling at night, then settling into your hootchie at 0400 for a catnap only to be woken up half an hour later to stand to.  Talk about your morale bottoming out after then tenth time that happens.  May prove to be a wake up call for you, no pun intended.  Then you can determine if you want to wick it up a notch or five by joing the FFL.

Ted

Back