• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Just a wee bit of a stretch ... I'm happy to defer to LEO's who have forgotten waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I'll ever know about this (and, as always, stand to be corrected), but having police approve operational decisions (first quote) without the government directing operational decisions is generally pretty standard practice.

Or do we want governments to tell cops exactly how to do their jobs at a tactical/front-line level?
Forgot to add the OMG emoji… 😱

I do not factually believe that the RCMP are operating outside of their chain-of-command, but then I ask…and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask…why then did Minister Mendicino feel so compelled to be the announcer of what the RCMP was supporting OPERATIONALLY to OPS, yet at the same time GO TO THE LENGTH of qualifying that such action was INDEPENDENT OF GOVERNMENT (which is a rather specific phrasing)?

Perhaps if:

1) OPS Chief Sloly had, at the operational level, made a statement that the RCMP was supporting OPS operationally; and

2) Minister Mendicino had just remained quiet on the issue, vice going on about how what was happening under his responsibility was, and I QUOTE him, “important to underline that these are operational decisions taken by the police, independent of the government.”

…then Mendocino’s statement would see much less like a…
1644009675202.gif

I've been threatened to have my head blown off with an AK47 by someone brandishing one of those symbols. I've seen other people terrorized relentlessly. Lacrosse balls to the head and back as they walked down school hallways. Victims got accused of instigating the behavior when they brought it forward. Warrior culture indeed.
But no, not on par.
Not my aircraft, but a sister squadron’s aircraft returned to base with .50 holes in the tail boom after flying over an area where several such flags were flying, but I don’t take that as justification to judge all indigenous peoples associated with the Mowhawk warrior’s flag to be attempted murderers.
I'm in the unpopular camp that the flag should be banned and displaying it should be considered a hate crime. Could the symbol here not fall under "hate propaganda"? You throw a Nazi flag up and it's pretty obvious what ideology you're supporting.
The Nazi flag is such a vile, known symbol, that outside of seeing it published in academic material, I would have no issue seeing it banned from public display as it serves no purpose other than to incite.

I've been threatened to have my head blown off with an AK47 by someone brandishing one of those symbols. I've seen other people terrorized relentlessly. Lacrosse balls to the head and back as they walked down school hallways. Victims got accused of instigating the behavior when they brought it forward. Warrior culture indeed.
But no, not on par.

I'm in the unpopular camp that the flag should be banned and displaying it should be considered a hate crime. Could the symbol here not fall under "hate propaganda"? You throw a Nazi flag up and it's pretty obvious what ideology you're supporting.

What about the USSR flag? Well Russia hasn't seen fit to ban it, but Germany has the swastika.
I’d don’t disagree. But right now it isn’t illegal. If it does become like hate propaganda I would support that. With the usual caveats of historical or artistic exceptions.

Good one!
Perhaps if:

1) OPS Chief Sloly had, at the operational level, made a statement that the RCMP was supporting OPS operationally; and

2) Minister Mendicino had just remained quiet on the issue, vice going on about how what was happening under his responsibility was, and I QUOTE him, “important to underline that these are operational decisions taken by the police, independent of the government.” ...
... or he was maybe heading off those who would accuse the government of directly ordering police to clamp down, dictator style? Or is that going to be muttered no matter what he says?

OPINION

I'll put the tinfoil on, if nobody else will.

Does anyone seriously believe that trudeau would not support, if not start, the counter protest? There seems to already be the boogeyman coming out of his firearms stance to vilify the convoy. With all this talk of firearms, suddenly appearing, complete with the fear mongering and demonization of firearms groups like the CCFR, he's dovetailing his agendas. Searching for a lightning rod because everything else he's tried in the last week has failed to launch, to the credit of smart, thinking Canadians. His comments about a specific group of Canadians being racist, misogynist, homophobic, etc, ad nauseum, has not worked. He's still trying to make hay over the single nazi flag and the single confederate flag that were brought out, by two, unidentified provocateurs to give him talking points to vilify the protesters and using his POC MPs in Parliament to denounce all those symbols of hate that outnumbered the Canadian flags on display and were the real reason for the convoy. Simple question. Does anyone think that our government, given their record, their lies, their lost unaccounted billions of taxpayer monies, the upheld charges of ethic violations, gaslighting Canadians at every turn and their penchant for never, ever, answering a question on topic or satisfactorily and a leader who's loyalties do not extend to the country he holds in contempt. Do you not think them capable of employing Roy Epps type people or that they would not stoop to that level to achieve their aims? There is no shortage of useful idiots to go around for every party. However, this current government seems to have found the elixir to employ them as part of their ongoing strategy, while the other parties wait until one comes spinning into the room, Tasmanian Devil like, and makes themselves useful for a few days until the narrative changes.

I'm sure there's those out there that will hold that Canada is so pure and lawful that it is impossible for this to happen and it borders on treason to even talk about it, but I hold no such delusions of humankind, especially in this day, age and political climate.
I mean...other than the lunacy of suggesting that the PM would "start" the counter protest, which is tin foil hat territory....EVERYTHING you wrote is quite simply good and highly effective politics.

Politics can be quite distatesteful, often unfair, even mean, always rough, tumble, and bruising and too often gets in the way of good policy making....but it is an integral part of our political system. And it isn't new either.

I honestly can't imagine any other Canadian political party acting any different if they were in power, facing what this government has.

I mean...everything you wrote is simply the JIPB/JIPOE from the Operational Planning Process. The fucking CAF formally taught me to think, and advise my Commander to act, in just the way you described above. Nothing tinfoil hat about it. Simply an effective IO campaign. This isn't rocket surgery.

I do not factually believe that the RCMP are operating outside of their chain-of-command, but then I ask…and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask…why then did Minister Mendicino feel so compelled to be the announcer of what the RCMP was supporting OPERATIONALLY to OPS, yet at the same time GO TO THE LENGTH of qualifying that such action was INDEPENDENT OF GOVERNMENT (which is a rather specific phrasing)?

Perhaps if:

2) Minister Mendicino had just remained quiet on the issue, vice going on about how what was happening under his responsibility was, and I QUOTE him, “important to underline that these are operational decisions taken by the police, independent of the government.”

…then Mendocino’s statement would see much less like a…
View attachment 68500
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he is emphasizing to the public (and probably a lot of media) that a minister of the Crown cannot give operational direction to the police.

I see this action as nothing more than one police service asking for operational assistance from another, which happens all the time. At the beginning of this thing, I saw Toronto members in Ottawa. Ottawa PS doesn't have a lot of options; the OPP would require time to assemble a decent number of members from across the province (although I'd be surprised if their eastern Ontario specialty teams aren't involved) and the vast majority of Quebec police officers have no authority outside of their province. I don't know the numbers of RCMP members in the NCR but I imagine it is substantial, possibly many coming from their headquarters. If it is anything like the headquarters I worked in, the call-up will be followed by a run on stores by members who can't find/don't fit/don't remember how to wear their field kit, accompanied by a lot of whining.

Fortress Quebec blocking trucks from getting in apparently. They let in three or four but blocked off access.

We just had 17 million people vote, I think that's more reflective of the state of the nation.
Oh you!

1644014097244.gif

Did all those 17million people vote for the current government? It sounds like you were implying that.

Dr. Statistics points out that only 5,556,629 of those 17,000,000 Canadians voted for “how things are being done.”

Oh you!

View attachment 68504

Did all those 17million people vote for the current government? It sounds like you were implying that.

Dr. Statistics points out that only 5,556,629 of those 17,000,000 Canadians voted for “how things are being done.”
Am i not supposed to be on ignore?

Can you go back to ignoring me please?

Back