• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Is there a difference between that symbol and the ''OK'' sign?
I thought of that, too. And I would've never associated this gesture with white power had I not received this photo. That being said, I don't recall the last time I saw a member of today's generation using the "OK" sign. Most use the thumbs up.
Contrary to the adage, this still picture doesn't say all that much...
Context is everything, and it is lacking in this case, but the person who sent it to me is a respected former CO who I have always known to be a critical thinker and level-headed.
Seems to me the gullible individuals ''raising concerns'' were just successfully trolled by 4chan users. Those individuals being associated with the media and deep state by their political opponents, the latter may have taken up the gesture in some contexts as a symbol of opposition.
But it's out there on the Internet and now OPS had to deal with it regardless of source or context.

I use the "OK" symbol all the time..........when did someone decide it meant anything else?? 'Cause I didn't get that memo....
Someone started it as a joke (on 8chan or some other dumb board?) that it made the 'WP' symbol for white power and were running around being edge lords. Then actual white supremacists started using it as an actual WP symbol. I think that's mostly in the US and in a certain age group, but one of those stupid meme trends.

Similarly, not even sure what it was called, but there was something stupid going around about twenty years ago with guys making that symbol upside down around waist level, and if you saw it, you were 'caught' and got a nut shot for it. So dumb, but was funny when I was in my early 20s I guess. So was a lot of other stupid things that would probably get me canceled today, so glad I grew up doing stupid things before cell phone cameras and social media enshrines it forever on the interwebs.

And sometimes it's just the okay symbol, so I guess context is everything. Sometimes it's just easiest to not ovethink things.

And there was PJ O'Rourke long ago in National Lampoon, "Secret Homosexual Code Signals".

"OK" sign == "There are 4 Turkish Freighters docked downtown and my asshole is bleeding like a bitch".

The scuba diving community probably has an opinion on both.
Lots of cross pollination with LE, apparently.

I think I've seen more police officers use it than anyone else.

Good way to relay your status non-verbally. (Over a crowd, sirens, a screeching subject)

Just like his real Dad ;)

Black And White Loop GIF by xponentialdesign

To this day I still do not understand how a gesture that meant Okay for quite a long time got turned into a white power symbol. Very confusing, at least to me.
The scuba diving community probably has an opinion on both.

Yeah, I guess PADI should make a new hand signal for ‘Diver OK!’.

Similarly, not even sure what it was called, but there was something stupid going around about twenty years ago with guys making that symbol upside down around waist level, and if you saw it, you were 'caught' and got a nut shot for it. So dumb, but was funny when I was in my early 20s I guess. So was a lot of other stupid things that would probably get me canceled today, so glad I grew up doing stupid things before cell phone cameras and social media enshrines it forever on the interwebs.
That is still a thing, I actually only saw it for the first time about five years ago.

We're going to run out of things that aren't racist soon. I'm actually kind of surprised that the Detriot Red Wings current logo has survived cancel culture.

Oooh..with a little agitation maybe we could set up a fight between the hockey team and the HA over "red wings"...

We're going to run out of things that aren't racist soon. I'm actually kind of surprised that the Detriot Red Wings current logo has survived cancel culture.
Exactly.

I refuse to let the medias and establishment preachers tell us we can't use the OK gesture (or the Canadian flag, for that matter) anymore just because they're too blinded by ideology to distinguish between trolling and genuine hate speech.

Regarding TUPOC's occupation, this is not a good image for Ottawa Police.

View attachment 72731
This is friggin’ stupid (not you; the take based on this interpretation of it). I saw the video of this happening, it’s floating around online. It happened a couple times. The officer is adjusting his sunglasses, pushing them up slightly with one of his fingers (middle I think). Catch me pushing my sunglasses up or picking something itchy out of my beard, good money my forefinger and thumb’ll be closed the same way. Now though any cop who unthinkingly does anything close to the ‘OK’ gesture (which I also unthinkingly use and even did so today), and it becomes an internet witch hunt to put complaints in.

This is friggin’ stupid (not you; the take based on this interpretation of it). I saw the video of this happening, it’s floating around online. It happened a couple times. The officer is adjusting his sunglasses, pushing them up slightly with one of his fingers (middle I think).
Thanks for adding the needed context (I couldn't find the source video, but I didn't expend a lot of effort to do so). I will inform the CO. :salute:

It looks like he’s adjusting his hat to be honest. And the other guy has a Mic, probably media so why would he do that so blatantly? I agree that this premise is dumb.

It looks like he’s adjusting his hat to be honest. And the other guy has a Mic, probably media so why would he do that so blatantly? I agree that this premise is dumb.

I'm pretty sure that's another LEO he's talking too. Looks like a duty belt with mags. But either way, we are on the same page. The whole thing is dumb and its a deceitful willful attempt to foster outrage.

Back