• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

The word 'emergency' has lost all meaning now after these last few weeks.

Reactions: QV
The word 'emergency' has lost all meaning now after these last few weeks.
Yeah, that is what happens when Canada treats it police forces like it treats it hospitals.

When 250 protestors can overwhelm the front line officers, its clear your police force is too small.

That said, if a police force is too small, and cannot effectively do its job, then that probably constitutes an emergency.

I don't think anyone can seriously deny foreign meddling is happening. Weather through the wealthy left leaning rich or the nefarious state actors like China and Russia.
Correct. But to even suggest that, when evidence exists, others will state you're "trolling" :ROFLMAO:. That is where some of these people are at.

Part of me feels you give JT too much credit.
I honestly think it's like "look Dad, I can do it too"
But what of those working for the Dear Leader across the Pacific whom he admires so much?

I don’t for a second think this is just a bumbling effort of late-to-the-game poor governance by a youthful McGill grad and his friends and some Gen-Z interns…

Yeah, that is what happens when Canada treats it police forces like it treats it hospitals.

When 250 protestors can overwhelm the front line officers, its clear your police force is too small.

That said, if a police force is too small, and cannot effectively do its job, then that probably constitutes an emergency.
When they needed to clear the bridge, they didn't have any issues. The police are not "overwhelmed".

But what of those working for the Dear Leader across the Pacific whom he admires so much?

I don’t for a second think this is just a bumbling effort of late-to-the-game poor governance by a youthful McGill grad and his friends and some Gen-Z interns…
You can think that all you like.

But its more like the usual tale of confederation at this point.

Municipality blames Province.

Province blames federal government.

Federal government blames municipality.

This applies to everything from transit to housing to these protests.

When they needed to clear the bridge, they didn't have any issues. The police are not "overwhelmed".
I'm talking specifically about the situation in Ottawa.

The other border protests seem to have been resolved without issue, but there are more trucks and protestors in Ottawa than there are frontline Ottawa police to deal with them, so in that case they may be overwhelmed.

I assume you're not going to try to insinuate that all these protests are the exact same and have the same set of circumstances on the ground, because that would be foolish.

I'm talking specifically about the situation in Ottawa.

The other border protests seem to have been resolved without issue, but there are more trucks and protestors in Ottawa than there are frontline Ottawa police to deal with them, so in that case they may be overwhelmed.

I assume you're not going to try to insinuate that all these protests are the exact same and have the same set of circumstances on the ground, because that would be foolish.
The situation in Ottawa is still localised. The issue is actually doing their jobs to clear this. So far we haven’t seen that very much.

The situation in Ottawa is still localised. The issue is actually doing their jobs to clear this. So far we haven’t seen that very much.
The police in Ottawa been solidly not doing their jobs for 3 weeks now, using every excuse in the book.

They have asked for 1800 additional officers and the province and Feds have....not done that.

They contacted tow truck companies, and the tow truck companies balked at the idea of towing the protestors trucks.

So at what point does someone need to step in and do something after the police have tried nothing and are all out of ideas?

When the police are not doing their jobs, what do you do?
And where is that stemming from? By some accounts sloly was doing a hands off approach to policing, possibly influenced from his experience with the TO G20 protests. It isn’t impossible that he and other leaders completely bungled this.

I’m sure that facts will come out after but if the city effed up, let this thing dig in, how does that become a national emergency? Local emergency? Yes, by all means.

According to the acting police chief he says his members are eager to start taking action. Could they have been told to ease off to let it dissipate naturally? And it was a bad call? Mixed in with incompetence on how to now deal with it?

Blockades have been taken down without EA measures. I’m not sure it was necessary other than because of political pressure from our neighbours to the south and from Canadians that want to see “something” done.

The police in Ottawa been solidly not doing their jobs for 3 weeks now, using every excuse in the book.

They have asked for 1800 additional officers and the province and Feds have....not done that.

They contacted tow truck companies, and the tow truck companies balked at the idea of towing the protestors trucks.

So at what point does someone need to step in and do something after the police have tried nothing and are all out of ideas?
Incompetence does not equal EA required.

And where is that stemming from? By some accounts sloly was doing a hands off approach to policing, possibly influenced from his experience with the TO G20 protests. It isn’t impossible that he and other leaders completely bungled this.
It may be telling that Sloly quit shortly after the EA was enacted.

Maybe the EA isn't used if Sloly quit earlier in this.

I do think Sloly is the root cause of the EA being enacted though.
I’m sure that facts will come out after but if the city effed up, let this thing dig in, how does that become a national emergency? Local emergency? Yes, by all means.
Municipal emergencies don't really grant additional powers to police, do day?
According to the acting police chief he says his members are eager to start taking action. Could they have been told to ease off to let it dissipate naturally? And it was a bad call? Mixed in with incompetence on how to now deal with it?
The fact of the matter is politicians cannot order police forces to do things. So Sloly being incompetent started to reflect badly on those above him, in both levels of government.

And no doubt it was hurting Justin Trudeau with the very people he needs to win elections with.
Blockades have been taken down without EA measures. I’m not sure it was necessary other than because of political pressure from our neighbours to the south and from Canadians that want to see “something” done.
A lot of politics is local, sadly.

Sure, but incompetence has a habit of spreading.

This protest is a local municipal issue. At the municipal level, it's a policing issue.

But the citizens don't care about the nuances. They want something done. And not just the locals, this is being broadcasted into every Canadians home via tradition news and social media.

So Sloly shitting the bed was making Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau look bad, which means those two need to do something.

Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau both declared an emergency over it.

Needed, no. But with a police chief literally not doing his job, it became a political necessity

…especially since Ontario had just put in place a State of Emergency days earlier (11 Feb) which helped sort out Windsor quickly and peacefully.

Back