• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

…body armor aren't issues in Canada…
In many provinces, only law enforcement or military may possess or acquire body armour. Some provinces brought these laws in to go after street gangs in the 2000’s.

I suspect "Plus the guns were probably for self defense or they wanted to keep them close so that if someone broke into their home they wouldn't be able to steal the firearms." is sarcasm.

For some people, "because I'm allowed to" is sufficient reason. And it is.

Fair dues. I thought that the obvious needs stating.

When I deployed - I would store them with friends who would be around and keep them in their safe.
As long as you have taken reasonable precautions you really can't get hosed.
A good safe bolted to a concrete floor is a reasonable precaution.
A thin lock box that isn't securely fastened to the structure generally isn't.

No one in their right mind would bring guns with them to a protest in Canada - pretty sure it's in the whole Offenses Against Public Order side of the CCofC as well as the Firearms Act.

Ah, OK, seen. And thanks.

When leaving with your friends, was there some mechanism in case they then had a fire or were robbed, raided, etc?

Fair dues. I thought that the obvious needs stating.

Ah, OK, seen. And thanks.

When leaving with your friends, was there some mechanism in case they then had a fire or were robbed, raided, etc?
Handguns and Prohibited and Restricted Rifles - I had to get an ATT to move them there.
Non Restricted Long guns -- well I left two with an RCMP member once, then they claimed they had been stolen...
*oh and he never filed a report :rolleyes: I'm guessing he liked the more than me...

In many provinces, only law enforcement or military may possess or acquire body armour. Some provinces brought these laws in to go after street gangs in the 2000’s.

Alberta being one of those provinces.

In Alberta, you must have a permit to buy, transport or wear body armour.

Last time I looked the Province's can make Criminal Code amendments. So it's a confiscation fine aspect, like a parking ticket...

I do not know a tick about firearm laws. I actually feel bad for law abiding gun owners because I know you're gonna get fuckin humped on the back of this.
Yea, my trolling moderators aside you're 100% right. Besides the $10K plus that I'm certain to be out one of my favourite hobbies was bringing former (and sometimes still serving) service members with injuries out to the range for a half day of shooting (at my expense). Can't really do that anymore since most of the rifles I used are banned now. Stories like this hurt lawful gun owners the most.

So can someone answer me this: what do you do with your firearms when you go away somewhere? I mean, would it be a legit fear to have the cops come after you if you were robbed while sunning in Cabo?

In the story you posted they sound 100% up to no good to me.

Generally speaking our gun storage laws can be pretty ambiguous and there's cases of firearm owners being charged when theives break in and steal properly secure guns. The most famous case is probably one where the home owner was charged with improper storage even though it took theives 3 days to burn their way into his gun safe with a torch.

In your article though I'd try to crucify them legally.
However, a strange legal defense that may work could be if they could prove they were on their way to a shooting range for legal shooting (and had an authorization to travel) but stopped there for a period of time in the same way I could stop at hotels or a cabin ok the way to a shooting competition out of town.

Prohibited mags will nail them though. Sounds like terrorist wannabes to me.

Last time I looked the Province's can make Criminal Code amendments. So it's a confiscation fine aspect, like a parking ticket...

Penalties

23(1) An individual who is guilty of an offence under section 22 is liable to a fine of not more than $10 000 or to a term of imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or to both a fine and imprisonment.

(2) A prosecution under subsection (1) may be commenced within 2 years of the commission of the alleged offence but not afterwards.

That’s correct. They are all provincial statutes much like traffic and hunting laws which will not give you a criminal record if found guilty, but can lead to significant fines and possible jail time, depending on the penalty section of that statute. I have no idea whether these body armour bans have led to jail time in and of themselves.

Yea, my trolling moderators aside you're 100% right. Besides the $10K plus that I'm certain to be out one of my favourite hobbies was bringing former (and sometimes still serving) service members with injuries out to the range for a half day of shooting (at my expense). Can't really do that anymore since most of the rifles I used are banned now. Stories like this hurt lawful gun owners the most.

In the story you posted they sound 100% up to no good to me.

Generally speaking our gun storage laws can be pretty ambiguous and there's cases of firearm owners being charged when theives break in and steal properly secure guns. The most famous case is probably one where the home owner was charged with improper storage even though it took theives 3 days to burn their way into his gun safe with a torch.

In your article though I'd try to crucify them legally.
However, a strange legal defense that may work could be if they could prove they were on their way to a shooting range for legal shooting (and had an authorization to travel) but stopped there for a period of time in the same way I could stop at hotels or a cabin ok the way to a shooting competition out of town.

Prohibited mags will nail them though. Sounds like terrorist wannabes to me.

You? Trolling? Trolling moderators?

Fake news, bud. :)

For the record -- "Statement from Commander Canadian Special Operations Forces Command"
... ! have recently been advised of allegations that at least three CANSOFCOM members have been, in some form or another, supporting the ongoing protests in Ottawa.

"If the allegations are accurate, this is wrong and it goes against CAF values and ethics. The following actions are specific to each case:

“On February 1, 2022, CANSOFCOM senior leadership was made aware of a case allegedly involving one of its members. The member is already in the process of being released from the Canadian Armed Forces. That said, a unit disciplinary investigation that includes this allegation was launched by the chain of command.

“On February 10, 2022, CANSOFCOM senior leadership was made aware of allegations involving two other members. One of the alleged members, who is from CANSOFCOM, is also in the process of being released from the Canadian Armed Forces. Regardless, on 10 February 2022, I ordered that an investigation be initiated.

“The other member in question is not a CANSOFCOM member. We have therefore notified that individual’s leadership so that it may proceed accordingly.

(...)

Major-General Steve Boivin
Commander, Canadian Special Operations Forces Command
Full text also attached in case link doesn't work

Attachments

• canada.ca-Statement from Commander Canadian Special Operations Forces Command.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 3
It appears that the RCMP did tens of thousands of dollars of damage while "disabling" the excavators. This was far more than stealing the batteries or siphoning the fuel. This will require major repairs and replacement parts. The cost is probably near the price of a burned barn.
Any operations like that are done with legal consultation and oversight. So you can take your innuendo up the road.

For the record -- "Statement from Commander Canadian Special Operations Forces Command"

Full text also attached in case link doesn't work

Face Palm No GIF

If the protest hadn’t made life difficult with the locals (the homeless, working poor of that area are hardly the laptop class) and stuck to attacking the gvt I doubt they would have as much negative feelings towards them.

I said it before. They lost the narrative when they overstayed their welcome.
I will agree that they should have scaled back on the honking in residential areas early on. The majority of people in that area work for the beast or feed it. So I get the reason why the truckers had limited sympathy for them. The faux feeling for the homeless is a lovely touch of propaganda and I am sure the residents feeling of frustrations with the homeless will return as soon as their "suffering" is no longer useful.

Note that the MND is not listed on who will be there.
…perhaps more interesting (confusing?) is Jagmeet Singh’s comments:

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh also characterized the prospect of federal emergency measures as a failure of leadership,…
Okay…tracking…
…but said he supports enacting the exceptional authorities.
Hunh? Oh wait, more explanation…
The reason why we got to this point is because the prime minister let the siege of Ottawa go on for weeks and weeks without actually doing anything about it. [He] allowed the convoy to shut down borders without responding appropriately, and in doing so, has allowed the convoy to dig in, to get entrenched, to allow them to spread across the country,” Singh said.
So you trust the guy to suddenly get it right, using the only law that can be used to suspend citizens’ rights at its sole discretion?

1644866546950.gif

It appears that the RCMP did tens of thousands of dollars of damage while "disabling" the excavators. This was far more than stealing the batteries or siphoning the fuel. This will require major repairs and replacement parts. The cost is probably near the price of a burned barn.
Big old load of FAFO here.

Another tool in the tool belt?
... A battle of the music speakers has started up at Parliament this evening as Speaker Trevor Mallard plays the likes of Barry Manilow and the Macarena through speakers inside (New Zealand's) Parliament buildings. He has also been playing Covid-19 vaccination advertisements.

Mallard said the 15-minute loop of music and Covid-19 ads will be on repeat and possibly play through the night.

Most of the protestors greeted the tunes with boos and played back We're Not Going to Take It by Twisted Sister on their own speakers ...
... The faux feeling for the homeless is a lovely touch of propaganda and I am sure the residents at least some protesters' feeling of frustrations with support for the homeless will return as soon as their "suffering" is no longer useful.
Cuts multiple ways ... As always, can't judge the herd by the worst folks, but I heard of more than one case here in town where the convoy folks passing through wanted to donate to homeless shelters & food banks, but didn't want to wear masks when asked as part of the facility rules - good civil disobedience/winning hearts & minds that.

Back