• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Well, a short list from here:

Under the Act, a public order emergency grants the federal government the right to:
  1. regulate or prohibit “any public assembly that may reasonably be expected to lead to a breach of the peace; travel to, from or within any specified area; or the use of specified property;”
  2. designate and secure protected places;
  3. assume control, restoration and maintenance of public utilities and services;
  4. direct any person or “class of persons” to render essential services, with “the provision of reasonable compensation;”
  5. impose fines and indictments “for contravention of any order or regulation made under this section.”
The Act specifies that the application of these powers must not interfere with the ability of a province to respond to an emergency of its own. A public order emergency “expires at the end of thirty days unless the declaration is previously revoked or continued in accordance with this Act.”

Poll: 3 in 4 Canadians Tell Convoy Protesters To “Go Home Now” – Unhappy With Trudeau’s Handling​

The Freedom Convoy has caught the attention of millions of Canadians. Two thirds of Canadians say they are following it in the news. According to The Angus Reid Institute, if protesters goals were to build support for their demands to end the pandemic-related restrictions, it has utterly backfired.

Canadian politicians in both the government and the official opposition are criticized for harming, not helping events. Two thirds (65%) say Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s comments and actions have worsened the situation. Two-in-five (42%) say this of Candace Bergen, leader of the official opposition.

Well, a short list from here:

Under the Act, a public order emergency grants the federal government the right to:
  1. regulate or prohibit “any public assembly that may reasonably be expected to lead to a breach of the peace; travel to, from or within any specified area; or the use of specified property;”
  2. designate and secure protected places;
  3. assume control, restoration and maintenance of public utilities and services;
  4. direct any person or “class of persons” to render essential services, with “the provision of reasonable compensation;”
  5. impose fines and indictments “for contravention of any order or regulation made under this section.”
The Act specifies that the application of these powers must not interfere with the ability of a province to respond to an emergency of its own. A public order emergency “expires at the end of thirty days unless the declaration is previously revoked or continued in accordance with this Act.”
I read somewhere that it also automatically triggers an inquest once it is over.

Poll: 3 in 4 Canadians Tell Convoy Protesters To “Go Home Now” – Unhappy With Trudeau’s Handling​

The Freedom Convoy has caught the attention of millions of Canadians. Two thirds of Canadians say they are following it in the news. According to The Angus Reid Institute, if protesters goals were to build support for their demands to end the pandemic-related restrictions, it has utterly backfired.

Canadian politicians in both the government and the official opposition are criticized for harming, not helping events. Two thirds (65%) say Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s comments and actions have worsened the situation. Two-in-five (42%) say this of Candace Bergen, leader of the official opposition.

Struggling with this list... ;)

people suck GIF by CL

The article you shared is also supported by an abacus poll just released on something similar.

The citizens of Ottawa are married to government by the hip, their world revolves around the beast, an attack on the beast feels like an attack on them. The truckers represent the people outside of the "Laptop class" and they are very unhappy and far more impacted than people who can "work at home".

Once again. The EA does not necessarily mean the deployment of the CAF for ACP. But would allow for it.
It doesn’t “allow for it (ACP).” The National Defence Act defines and supports the provision of ACP.

The more accurate phraseology is that a provincial AG request to the CDS under s.275 of the NDA can happen at any time, including a period where the Emergency Act has been enacted.

It's succeeded in showing Ottawa residents what their votes got em.

In the next election hes going to have a beaucoup struggle if the party lets him stay on... He would still win, thanks Ont and Que, but its going to be the smallest of majorities.

There that's my prediction lol

Looks like this is an outcome to expect: Emergencies Act

Inquiry

• 63 (1) The Governor in Council shall, within sixty days after the expiration or revocation of a declaration of emergency, cause an inquiry to be held into the circumstances that led to the declaration being issued and the measures taken for dealing with the emergency.
  • Marginal note:Report to Parliament
    (2) A report of an inquiry held pursuant to this section shall be laid before each House of Parliament within three hundred and sixty days after the expiration or revocation of the declaration of emergency.

Excellent analysis of Emergency Act by Greg Taylor in the National Post. I can't post a link as it is behind a fire-wall, but he tears apart the rationale for invoking it. Essentially, between the NDA and provinces declaring a state of emergency provinces can access all the powers they need. It looks like posturing and theatre to me, but I've been wrong before.

I've had no difficulty linking to it. Agree it is a "good analysis", but don't necessarily agree with all his conclusions.

. . .

But there’s a more fundamental problem with the Emergencies Act, arising from another definition. The Act isn’t about taking over provincial and municipal responsibilities for public order. It’s far broader than that: section 16 defines a Public Order Emergency as arising “from threats to the security of Canada” defined in the Canadian Security Intelligence Service Act (CSIS Act). Those definitions include “espionage or sabotage,” “foreign influenced activities,” (foreign donors unlikely to meet the definition) “serious violence against persons or property for the purpose of achieving a political, religious or ideological objective,” and the “overthrow by violence of the constitutionally established system of government in Canada.”

If that’s what we think is really happening in Ottawa, in Coutts, and elsewhere, then the prime minister might declare a national emergency, but thus far a compelling case that these protests are “threats to the security of Canada” as defined in the CSIS Act hasn’t been made by him or anyone else in a position of authority.

While one can have the opinion that it may be a stretch to make such a "compelling case", the Governor-in-Council only has to make such a case to a "majority" of the House, and taking into account political considerations (and political considerations are always taken into account) hope that such a move would be met with approval by the majority of the voting population. At present, that public approval may be in the government's favour,

It doesn’t “allow for it (ACP).” The National Defence Act defines and supports the provision of ACP.

The more accurate phraseology is that a provincial AG request to the CDS under s.275 of the NDA can happen at any time, including a period where the Emergency Act has been enacted.
Thanks.

The citizens of Ottawa are married to government by the hip, their world revolves around the beast, an attack on the beast feels like an attack on them. The truckers represent the people outside of the "Laptop class" and they are very unhappy and far more impacted than people who can "work at home".
If the protest hadn’t made life difficult with the locals (the homeless, working poor of that area are hardly the laptop class) and stuck to attacking the gvt I doubt they would have as much negative feelings towards them.

I said it before. They lost the narrative when they overstayed their welcome.

It is interesting also to read the actual basis of the Emergencies Act, in particular Section.3

note:National emergency

3 For the purposes of this Act, a national emergency is an urgent and critical situation of a temporary nature that

• (a) seriously endangers the lives, health or safety of Canadians and is of such proportions or nature as to exceed the capacity or authority of a province to deal with it, or
  • (b) seriously threatens the ability of the Government of Canada to preserve the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of Canada
and that cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada.

The National Defence Act is a law, just as the Emergencies Act is.

So enacting the Emergencies Act would, if Section.3 is respected, be based conditionally on the NDA (in particular s.275-284 - ACP) as the most applicable ‘other law’ having been found to be ineffective…problematic, because Ontario’s AG hasn’t requested ACP of the CDS yet to my knowledge.

IMO, it’s unprincipled use of the Emergencies Act, f the National Defence Act hasn’t been used, let alone used and expended without sufficient success.

... I don't get why police can't walk in Texas Ranger style and arrest who they want ...
As with some other protests, and I have zero inside knowledge, I'm guessing one worry is about other protests popping up all over the place, making things even harder to get a grip on.

I think the CDS gets to pick who gets sent.
That's true under AoCP, but it isn't done in isolation. The CDS would discuss the requested needs put forward by the relevant AG and then suggest appropriate military resources.

IMHO the EA is unnecessary because there are already provincial laws which prohibit blocking traffic. What's needed is an enforcement mechanism and I could see operations whereby the police handle arrests and military recovery vehicles drag equipment away (if civilian contractors are reluctant to do so) In addition a stand-by show of force element to "back up & bulk up" the police and help control crowds would be useful. That's really a police function and they are somewhat trained in the process but they express that they are under resourced for it.

I think good leadership by the PM would be to deal with the premiers of the affected provinces and provide them with the back up resources (overtime pay for example) they need and to provide a measure of coordinated response would be enough. Each of those would be triggered by individual requests for AoCP. The objective here is to clear blockades and re-establish commerce but not quash legitimate protests.

The only thing that the EA does is it outs action into the hands of the Feds rather than provincial AGs. Under the EA the Feds have power to make all types of action including limiting the right of assembly. If that is invoked I think it would be a big mistake. It takes a movement whose aim now is to stop the government's mandates of passports and masks which they think infringe their "rights" to be able to pivot to the government taking away their right to assembly. In short they go from what many Canadians think is a stupid position to a more legitimate one.

If Trudeau is careful and the powers are used subtly it might work but this is not a government known for its subtlety,

This is a publicity move, plain and simple, based on the belief that most Canadians are now thoroughly fed up with the "truckers" and that this will make JT look strong and in charge. I think Canadians are fed up but 20/20 hindsight will kick in.

🍻

Back