• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

You suggest that executive accountability is/should be transferred to the judiciary???
No. The Judiciary is the area where the electorate/people can appeal any legislation they think may be unjust or badly crafted. And that isn’t limited by an election cycle.

You want everyone to have a vote button in their living room so that we can vote in every single issue?
I do. That's direct democracy in action.
kev994 said:
most people will have no idea of the consequences of what they’re doing (see Brexit)…
People have the sum of 200,000+ years of human knowledge in their hands every time they pick up a cell phone or turn on a computer with the internet.

I do. That's direct democracy in action.

People have the sum of 200,000+ years of human knowledge in their hands every time they pick up a cell phone or turn on a computer with the internet.
Some people believe it’s only 6000 years and that we walked with dinosaurs back then. Mostly because they read that on their cell phone and computer so YMMV

Myself as well. What if someone drops off coffee for their buddies protesting? Or walking around the protest to check out what's going on? Seems overreaching and ambiguous.
Hence allegations. And investigating. If it’s just that then there should be no problem. But it looks like they are all being released anyways. How they get released I would guess will depend on what comes of the investigation. I guess the allegations are serious enough to warrant looking into. Sounds like someone is doing their due diligence.

Some people believe it’s only 6000 years and that we walked with dinosaurs back then. Mostly because they read that on their cell phone and computer so YMMV
People believed we're only 6000 years old well before the internet was invented. Other people read tea leaves for enlightenment. I like the whole make up your own mind aspect of free well, YMMV as well.

Isn’t that what the Supreme Court is for?
then
You suggest that executive accountability is/should be transferred to the judiciary???
then
No. The Judiciary is the area where the electorate/people can appeal any legislation they think may be unjust or badly crafted. And that isn’t limited by an election cycle.

Ahhhh….my mistake. I thought the Supreme Court of Canada was part of the Judiciary in Canada.

My bad….apparently.

Windsor Police Services have cleared the roadblock of the Ambassador Bridge. Some vehicles towed, a few arrests for mischief.

then

then

Ahhhh….my mistake. I thought the Supreme Court of Canada was part of the Judiciary in Canada.

My bad….apparently.
Perhaps I’m not explaining properly. I’m not trying to confuse you. Or perhaps I misread what you were trying to express.

You said:

“So too is having minimal to no effective accountability for several years until just a few weeks before before the next election. The response “you’ll have your say at the next election” is lazy and disrespectful of the social contract between politician and citizen.”

Right. So you are wrong as there is accountability. We have systems like an independent judiciary that can help citizens hold them accountable. They can challenge the laws and act. If they don’t then so be it. But they can. But it does not mean they will be right.

You can have your say next election. I’m not sure why that is disrespectful. We can’t have elections every year and we can’t have referendums in everything that is unsustainable.

What would you like to see? Recall legislation? Elections every 6 month? Referendums on everything?

I’m curious what you think the solution is.

People believed we're only 6000 years old well before the internet was invented. Other people read tea leaves for enlightenment. I like the whole make up your own mind aspect of free well, YMMV as well.
Voting on everything and anything isn’t sustainable or possible when dealing with Nations. And even so, apparently even if the majority wins the minority can tantrum out and try to get what they want. So why bother?

If they where there, out of uniform and doing nothing untoward - what would it matter?
I highly doubt any assaulter would be out in their DEU's - given the fact most of those are in a closet two ranks stale and under 4" of dust...
I seem to remember many, many hour of discussion after even more hours of reading about why the military must be apolitical. We, military members, have an option when we decide that the government's actions are unacceptable: we resign. That is our only option. If we cannot serve with total loyalty to the crown (Constitution is some places) then we must resign.

Actually there is direct evidence that humans lived at the same time as dinosaurs as per the Paluxy River limestone beds.
While not supported by main stream scientists, many creationists hold this as proof that the Earth is not billions of years old. Many people believe that Archbishop Ussher’s seventeenth-century calculation of about 6000 years is a good estimate.

You be the judge.

1644801467515.png

Voting on everything and anything isn’t sustainable or possible when dealing with Nations.
Not with that attitude ;)

And even so, apparently even if the majority wins the minority can tantrum out and try to get what they want. So why bother?
Yes, we shouldn't tolerate people with unacceptable views in our society.

Yea they weren't letting people leave until they took stickers off their vehicle.

Perhaps I’m not explaining properly. I’m not trying to confuse you. Or perhaps I misread what you were trying to express.

You said:

“So too is having minimal to no effective accountability for several years until just a few weeks before before the next election. The response “you’ll have your say at the next election” is lazy and disrespectful of the social contract between politician and citizen.”

Right. So you are wrong as there is accountability. We have systems like an independent judiciary that can help citizens hold them accountable. They can challenge the laws and act. If they don’t then so be it. But they can. But it does not mean they will be right.

You can have your say next election. I’m not sure why that is disrespectful. We can’t have elections every year and we can’t have referendums in everything that is unsustainable.

What would you like to see? Recall legislation? Elections every 6 month? Referendums on everything?

I’m curious what you think the solution is.
My concern was exactly as I stated, but let me emphasize my words to ensure clarity of my intent.

So too is having minimal to no effective accountability for several years until just a few weeks before before the next election.
I did not say there is NO accountability, my words were about effective accountability.

I feel that current government, especially at the federal level is not effectively accountable, through dismissiveness and worse, gaslighting of societal elements of Canadian society that do not reinforce or at least align with the Government’s position across its policy base.

My solution? Government needs to tone down its dismissiveness and hasty broad-brushing with inaccurate yet accusatory words. Trudeau, Blair, etc. need to at least pretend to be mindful of all Canadian society’s concerns, not just to those elements they agree with or by which they are actively supported.

You mean you don't see an issue with military members supporting a protest that was calling to replace the current government with their own committee?
If they where not breaking any laws - and out of uniform - then no.
Agreed. it looks like their colleagues may have reported them.
I'm pretty sure that anyone conducting a protest in this day and age is logged and sorted in milliseconds - simply because we have the technology and have used that against opponents since early on in the GWOT.
If it is anything like down here - then CSIS/RCMP/CSE would flag it to the unit/command security officer - and then decisions made.
It’s the veiled alleged “supporting in one form or other” comment that raises eyebrows for me.

I guess we’ll see what that means when this comes to light.

Back