• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former SSF Members (Petawawa) 1977-1995

A Tribute to a Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPdw81a0sCs

Daring to Die - The Story of the Black Devil's Promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDQMdNLcIuQ&feature=related

Now with youtube you get the privilege to meet some of these heroes  :salute:

The Devil's Brigade (FSSF) Veterans Visit Canada's 3PPCLI  (Feb 2, 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3B8yQ-V_vA

Thanks ,,,unforunately my dinosuar(win98) wont play u-tube...
Will see if i got some pic's of Mary (MP-Petawawa)(SSF)...
Dangerous lil gal. (Black-Belt) Judo/juijistzu/karate/tai-kwon-do.
Just the type of gal you want to take home and meet Mom...LOL
But that's another story... Cheers
OSONS
Scoty B

Hello to all and current members. I was part of the SSF from 81 - 89.  I miss those days.  I have moved all over Canada and have now situated here in the USA.  Don't get me wrong I am very proud to have served both for the Hussar's and Dragoon's.  Being Airborne certified as an active jumper was awesome.  I am very proud of all the services both Canadian and American.  Keep up the fight, my prays are with you all everyday.  Lastly, I am all for an association to keep in touch.  Hey by the way if anyone knows how to get an AIC coin. Chat me up ; with all the moving I have lost mine and it still is a big part of me that I accomplished.  Love you all and bring home safe.  Robert J. Talty (MCpl Retired) :salute: OSONS all the way

Slayer 666,
Welcome Brother. Good to hear from you .
Cheer's and best Regard's, Scoty B.

Hello All.

A Google search for 2 SSF brought me here.  A pleasant surprise, I must say.

I can't recall whether it was a bunch from 1 Cdo or 2 Cdo that 'closed' the Mackie Tavern in Pembroke after they had settled in at Petawawa.  Had to establish some sort of reputation, I guess.

I was with 2 SVC BN (1976 - 1980) and my most enjoyable period was serving with our TAMS (Tactical Air Movements Section) unit.  Slinging loads for air transport and ferrying the Airborne's equipment to their various jump locations were our main purposes - this allowed me the occasional opportunity for a ride in a Huey or Kiowa.  'Course, watching one of our loads come sliding out of the back of a Herc during a LAPES drop was always fun.

Things I'll always remember:
The loss of Cpl. John McLaren in a stupid traffic accident on our return trip from Exercise Georgian Strike at CFB Borden,
The 'poison punch' incident,
Serving as the base commander's driver (don't remember the General's name...),
Serving as the Service Battalion commander's driver - Lt. Col. Andrew Nellestyn,
Sitting in a slit trench on winter exercise - minus 30F with everything covered in hoar frost and the full moon making it all glitter,
The annual firepower demonstration,

Here's a aerial shot I took of the base in 1978 as well as the Militia Concentration Training on the Mattawa Plains...ring a bell, anyone?

Asss *** Does'nt know jack aboput the SSF. Ignorance is a sign of ignorance. I wore that SSF Flash for 7 of the 12 i served. I was damn proud when I put up that flash,,,, considering
our pre desseror's the 1St special service force also known as the "devil's brigade" ...They had a parade in Petawawa when we put up that Flash including original member's of the Deviil's Brigade. Just rambling ,Cheer's Scoty B

I see this is a older post but Ill post incase you are still collecting info.

I was in until 1992.
SSF HQ & SIGS - Line Troop
2 Service Battalion - Comms Det.

Scoty B

SSF Pipes and Drums photos, Fort W. H Harrison Helena Montana 1992 Home of the Devil's Brigade
http://media.photobucket.com/image/ssf%20pipes%20and%20drums/1stmotors/060.jpg?o=2

Also saw this keepsake online:
;D cheers

A Brigade is what? 5000 men and woman. I know there is more of you out there. Let's get this happening.
Any-Way Cheer's and best regard's. OSONS. Scoty B
P.S. The Challenge coin was tossed on the table.

I did a short stint in Pet with 2 Svc Bn on OJT in 1984 and then I went back in 1992 and served with HQ and E Bty 2RCHA till 1996.

Lets be real.  The SSF was just a brigade, just like 1 CBG.  People like to see the SSF as a modern version of the FSSF....well, it wasn't.  Actually, the Battle Honours of the FSSF were carried by The Canadian Airborne Regiment.  The part of the SSF that most other parts hated.

BTW, I was in the SSF from 1986-1992

Rhodesian said:
Lets be real.  The SSF was just a brigade, just like 1 CBG.  People like to see the SSF as a modern version of the FSSF....well, it wasn't.  Actually, the Battle Honours of the FSSF were carried by The Canadian Airborne Regiment.  The part of the SSF that most other parts hated.

BTW, I was in the SSF from 1986-1992

OK.  Lets be real.  Yes, if you want to think that it was only a Bde like all the rest, in a sense it was.  At the same time it was not.  All the Regular Force Units that held hard jump positions were in the SSF.  There were Jump positions in the Engineers, the RCHA, and the Hussars/RCD.  The SSF held it's soldiers to a higher standard of fitness than the other Bdes.  It was a highly mobile Bde, where the others were not.  It was never only the CAR and nothing but the CAR.

Read my post again. The FSSF honors were only carried by The Canadian Airborne Regiment. Like I said, I was a member of the Bde.  The Regiment specialized in airborne operations with it's force multipliers.  The only thing special about the SSF was The Canadian Airborne Regiment battle group. The SSF was born when The Regiment moved to pet and ceased to exist on disbandment

Good day
Posted to D bty 2RCHA Gun detachment 15A, from 1982-1985. Part of the SSF and AML.
Moved to 2RCHA Air Defence Troop in 1985 before posted to Chatham NB .

Cheers

Back