• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former SSF Members (Petawawa) 1977-1995

Rhodesian said:
Read my post again. The FSSF honors were only carried by The Canadian Airborne Regiment. Like I said, I was a member of the Bde.  The Regiment specialized in airborne operations with it's force multipliers.  The only thing special about the SSF was The Canadian Airborne Regiment battle group. The SSF was born when The Regiment moved to pet and ceased to exist on disbandment

That is not the point I was making.  If you want to get real technical, the CAR perpetuated the Battle Honours of not only the FSSF, but those of 1 Can Para Bn as well.  The fact that the CAR did has no relevance on the SSF as a Bde.

The OP was the one trying to link the "new" SSF to the FSSF.  And yes, I know The Regiment carried the battle honors of 1 CPB...but, we weren't discussing them.  We routinely had members of 1 CPB and the FSSF attend our functions.

The idea that the SSF held it's soldiers to a higher PT standard is also false.  The SSF had soldiers in all shapes and sizes and completed the same PT tests as other Bdes.

Rhodesian said:
The idea that the SSF held it's soldiers to a higher PT standard is also false. 

I hope you don't think to speak for 2RCHA................

Rhodesian said:
The OP was the one trying to link the "new" SSF to the FSSF.  And yes, I know The Regiment carried the battle honors of 1 CPB...but, we weren't discussing them.  We routinely had members of 1 CPB and the FSSF attend our functions.

The idea that the SSF held it's soldiers to a higher PT standard is also false.  The SSF had soldiers in all shapes and sizes and completed the same PT tests as other Bdes.

Were there all shapes and sizes in the SSF?  Yes, there were.  I remember one Navy member walking down the street who's Workdress had to have been made by a tent maker.  Those examples were the extreme exception, and not the norm in the SSF.

Actually, having seen the other Bdes, and such, at the time, I would still say the the SSF held its soldiers to a higher standard.  Many of today's competitions have their origins in the SSF.  Not that they directly were spin offs of SSF competitions, but many were mimicking or outright copies of SSF competitions.  There were something like twenty SSF competitions, from March and Shoot, various wpn shoots, Biathlon, 2 X 13, Ironman, etc.  The SSF were the first to wear a Bde/formation Patch (on both sleeves in the 70's) and the sense of pride of being in that Bde was, in my opinion, higher than other Bdes. 

I may also knock you on your "1 CPB" as it not being a proper abbreviation. 

As to the OP trying to link the SSF to the FSSF, then perhaps you should go back and read the history of the SSF.  It does indeed link itself back to the FSSF.......as a Bde, not just the CAR, a unit in the formation, who perpetuated their Battle Honours. 

If you want, perhaps you can show us all a Brigade that holds Battle Honours, to justify your stand.  To the best of my knowledge, in the CF, it is the Units within the Bde who hold Battle Honours, not the Bde. 

Abram Tank said:
Good day
Posted to D bty 2RCHA Gun detachment 15A, from 1982-1985. Part of the SSF and AML.
OK what's the "AML"?
Sure you don't mean AMF(L). Ace Mobile Force (Land)

Good day sorry about that it should of been AMF(L) not AML.

Yes Bruce we known each other.

You were I think in Bty HQ with Shaun Moyles at the time in the CP.

We were also in Norway and England together as was JR Ewing.

Cheers

OSONS George. The SSF was formed and fashoned after the original !st SSF. CAR was moved to petawawa to reform that BDE. Hence the SSF. We did the same training. Mind you our tech was better. CAR wa the spear tip but but we had the same training albite our's were specializations. Mine was intel. Combat Inteligence Operator. Even though i was Armoured I could still do CAR. I.E. Repel Kiowa-Wall,insert ECT., sneak n peak,
and it wasn't just the BDE we were all trained as our predecessor's in all warfare technique's,,, Demolition's
and the list goe's on. OSONS Brother's. In other word's I was damn proud to serve with you. Just my Rantish.. LOL. Bye the way,, thank-you for posting.. Cheer's,,,next beer's on me. Scoty B

I was in 2 RCHA (73  to75 then to 1RCHA TILL79 THEN 2 RCHA TILL 82) and have the  SSF badge and also worked with 1 RCR from London and have the AMF badge :

George,,, Thank's,,, I stand corrected. Cheer's. Scoty B

Rhodesian said:
Lets be real.  The SSF was just a brigade, just like 1 CBG.  People like to see the SSF as a modern version of the FSSF....well, it wasn't.  Actually, the Battle Honours of the FSSF were carried by The Canadian Airborne Regiment.  The part of the SSF that most other parts hated.

BTW, I was in the SSF from 1986-1992

C'mon, if it was just another brigade, how come we had "SSF boots"? Man as a new Sapper with a set of green and tan DEU bloused , I loved those boots.... and the Jump smock- that was bling, before it was a buzzword.... 2 CER, 1988-1993, CAR 1993-1995

Chill man. I was damn proud to serve in that brigade.
Reformed Pet 1977,,, SSF after our predesessor
FSSF WW2.  Also known as The Devil's Brigade.
CAR was our main component. But we were all train
as per Devil's Brigade, Unarmed Cambat, Domolition's
Repell, Para.. Ect,, Ect.My specialty was intelligence...
Anay-way Damn proud to have served with you guy's.
Next beer's on me.

Was SSF HQ & SIGS - Line Troop late 80s to early 90s plus reserve roles before and afterwards. :cdn:
I think a SSF Group would be a good idea.  Oddly enough I work at the Fire Dept now and one of my co-workers was 2 Cmdo  I will pass this along to him.  :piper:

Jack if you wore the flash you earned it. Pt is Pt but yes we were held to a higher standard, All of
our qualification's set the example. We were a Special Service Force reformed as our predessor's
were formed  as. Right down to said same training, Ect. I was so damn proud to be associated with
the First Special Service force, (AKA) the Devil's Brigade. I'll shut-up now. Gettin sentimental. Cheer's.
Scoty B

I was posted In Pet. from 1985 to 1989
with the 8CH
l_5b36d4e61b18cf447641b43547f94b5e.jpg

Man the was a long time ago.

Abram Tank said:
Good day sorry about that it should of been AMF(L) not AML.

Yes Bruce we known each other.

You were I think in Bty HQ with Shaun Moyles at the time in the CP.

We were also in Norway and England together as was JR Ewing.

Cheers
I remember England...

Hi All:
Great posts, really good to hear from ex-SSF members. George Wallace good to hear from you, you were one of the instructors on my 1982 TQ3 course... The SSF was a unique unit and I am very proud of my service while in the Huzzars. While the airborne often fielded the edge of what was the brigade, without the other units, it wouldn't have existed. I can't help but believe we were were somewhat of a unique animal, my combat leaders course comes to mind which was brutal... We often completed fairly unique exercises such as live fire, etc... Yes no argument about the equipment, the cougars we trained with we're not designed or intended to be an armoured fighting vehicle. It worked well for exercises such as aid to the civil power etc. The MLVW also comes to mind which was a piece of junk from bombardia, bad spelling sorry... Also the Iltis, your most likely safer Ina volkswagon bug...LOL...

All the best brothers! OSON'S all the way!

Mike Virtanen, Ret / MCPL / 8CH(PL) 81 - 86 / RCD 86 - 88CEW

Back