• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Former SSF Members (Petawawa) 1977-1995

PMedMoe said:
Hubby wore the "flying butter knife" as part of HQ & Sigs.

How many beers have we had together?? And now ... finally!! I think I know now from where I recognized him!

ArmyVern said:
How many beers have we had together?? And now ... finally!! I think I know now from where I recognized him!
Maybe he just looks different....now that you're not dancing on the speakers at Sassy's  >:D

57chevy,
              Thanks for the info. Would love to get a hold of a few of those lapel pins.
              You wouldn't know how I can get a-hold of Joe if possible. Thank's.
              Best Regard's,
              OSON'S
              Scoty B

wildman0101 said:
You wouldn't know how I can get a-hold of Joe if possible. Thank's.

http://www.joedrouin.com/

The USA/Canada arrowhead on the pins was never part of the SSF uniform or insignia of the the Canadian Brigade group we are talking about. Yes there was a historical connection back to the joint force from WW2 (Devil's Brigade) but the arrowhead was not part of the Canadian uniform for the era we are discussing. Now if he had a pin without the arrowhead available I'd be interested.

x royal correct however.

Uniform Insignia
The brigade's insignia featured a winged dagger, similar
to that worn by the British Special Air Service.

Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 05:26:44 »Quote (lance wiebe)
Scoty;

I was there, as you know.  Many of us were on the parade where they officially "branded" us the SSF.  Many of the original members of the SSF from WWII were on the parade as well.

The lapel pin's 57 chevy mentioned were made up and given to the member's of the
First Special Service Force (Devil's Brigade) that attended the formation parade in 1977
as a keepsake(momento). As for myself i was damn proud to wear the SSF patch and
proud of all my brethen who also wore it.
I would also like to see a lapel with the SSF badge also. And one with the Arrow head
referring to the combined US/CANADA. As far as I'm concerned when they re-formed
that brigade in Pet(SSF) we became a lil part of history so to speak. The original FSSF
are well known and world famous. They own thier thunder. They walked thier walk
and I will never steal thier thunder. I will however honor them for the contribution's,
sacrifice's,courage and bravery they own.  :salute:
Best Regard's all,
Scoty B

wildman0101 said:
I would also like to see a lapel with the SSF badge
Scoty B

That is exactly what I have been looking for. That was the closest to it that I could find.
So far.......anyway ::)
And it's in the mail ;D

And don't forget the Op Tasked coys from the QOR, LEdmR & RWestR! (hey, stop throwing things... ;D)

daftandbarmy said:
And don't forget the Op Tasked coys from the QOR, LEdmR & RWestR! (hey, stop throwing things... ;D)

And the R du Sag; but these units (or their tasked sub-units) were never part of the SSF.

The Devil's Brigade (also called The Black Devils and The Black Devils' Brigade),
officially the First Special Service Force:Devil's Brigade
They got the 'Black Devils' name because the soldiers camuflaged themselves for night attacks by blackening their faces.
A German soldier wrote in his diary, "The black devils are all around us"

The 1st SSF was disbanded 5 December 1944 in a field near Villeneuve-Loubet. Villeneuve-Loubet holds a special place in the history of the Force, not only because the unit was broken up there, but also because it is one of the villages that the 1st SSF had the hardest time capturing in southern France, on 26 August 1944. The day the unit was disbanded, the American commander held a parade honouring the unit. To end the ceremony, the Canadian elements were dismissed by being honoured by the American troops with a marchpast, eyes right, officers saluting.

I served in Petawawa as a MSE OP from 85-87.
Anyone out there that served from 85-87?

Lance Wiebe said:
Scoty;

I've always thought that the concept of the SSF was flawed, basically a light Brigade, with the CAR, some light artillery and a troop of Lynx capable of being air dropped.  No direct fire weaponry, limited anti-tank capability and extremely limited anti-air capability. 

Lance

Not sure about that, prior to 2 Bde it was as capable as anything was in the CF at the time. DF=2 RCHA, AA = 1 AD Regt, AT = Tow Pl and RCD.  Some might suggest that the inf bn had more teeth at the time with Pioneers, Tow and Mortars.

Completely agree with the point about the PT.  All the best.

Cdnleaf said:
Not sure about that, prior to 2 Bde it was as capable as anything was in the CF at the time. DF=2 RCHA, AA = 1 AD Regt, AT = Tow Pl and RCD.  Some might suggest that the inf bn had more teeth at the time with Pioneers, Tow and Mortars.

Completely agree with the point about the PT.  All the best.

Cdnleaf

Those units may have been part of the SSF ( 1 AD Regt only a year or so before disbandment and never really trained, nor effective at that time.)  What would actually have been deployed by airdrop would have been the CAR, the Jump Bty, a Jump Troop of 2 CER, and a Jump Troop from the RCD.  The largest direct fire wpns would have been .50 Cal, M-72 and Carl G.  The largest indirect fire would have been 105 from L5s.  There was for the most part no AA until just before disbandment, and 1 AD Regt to the best of my knowledge had no Operational Jumpers.

I reread Lance's post, though not stated I appreciate where he was going with that i.e. air drop capability as you noted below.  Depending on when you served with the SSF; as lance, yourself, myself - it was different.  During my time CAR was not the main effort, the transition in in ops was already occurring, and unfortunately we all know what happened to the Regt.  Dan.

Outstanding response's.. 57 chevy

They got the 'Black Devils' name because the soldiers camuflaged themselves for night attacks by blackening their faces.
A German soldier wrote in his diary, "The black devils are all around us" Bang On 57
Scoty B

The day the unit was disbanded, the American commander held a parade honouring the unit.
To end the ceremony, the Canadian elements were dismissed by being honoured by the American troops with a marchpast, eyes right, officers saluting.
Man I wish i could have seen that.

right George I concur.

Good post's all. Thank-You Glad to see such an interest.

OSONS,
Scoty B

Scoty B,

Lots of talk here ref the FSSF.  Have you thought of affiliating your associations?  They are well ahead of you as an organization and your proposed group could go a long way in preserving their memory. Although I do believe their current Canadian ties lie with CANSOFCOM and CSOR more specifically, the SSF does share that lineage and could only enhance the relationship.

Link to the FSSF:  http://firstspecialserviceforce.net/

Swingline1984 said:
Scoty B,

Lots of talk here ref the FSSF.  Have you thought of affiliating your associations?  They are well ahead of you as an organization and your proposed group could go a long way in preserving their memory. Although I do believe their current Canadian ties lie with CANSOFCOM and CSOR more specifically, the SSF does share that lineage and could only enhance the relationship.

Link to the FSSF:  http://firstspecialserviceforce.net/
It most certainly does, and could also go further than that.
a little "not to forget" quote from wikipedia:
"The success, esprit and discipline of FSSF became a template for building modern special forces worldwide." :nod:

Back