• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Formal Recognition for Sea Time?

NCRCrow

Inactive
Reaction score
I would like to see some formal recognition for your sea time, maybe an insignia for your DEU or NCD jacket based on 5-12-18 yrs.

Any thoughts?

Might be just a civvie, but why start off with 5 years as opposed to 6?

Sea Time $$$ compensation is broken down into 5-12-18 year increments. Just thought if it was already established why change it.

Is there formal recognition for FOA, DIV or Air Crew allowance? No, I do not think that another item on the uniform is required to acknowledge allowances.

It's one thing to have 1...3...15..whatever, years of seatime.  But you will get the people comparing their time to others.  You get some that actually sail for 280 days in a year and then you have those ashore that are still classified as "sea going billets" who must get xx number of days at sea a year to still get their sea pay and you also have pers that are on a TCAT for less then 180 days that still get sea pay.  Are each of these people alike?  Should they each get the same kind of recognition?  (I guess the same could be said for some of the medals they hand out, but that's a different topic  ;))

The reason I suggested it might be a pride/retention issue and might instill some pride.

I saw a trucker with a 25 year safe driving badge on his DEU on my ILQ.

HFXCrow said:
I would like to see some formal recognition for your sea time, maybe an insignia for your DEU or NCD jacket based on 5-12-18 yrs.

Any thoughts?

By "sea time" do you mean "posted to a sea-going ship"?  Would this include refit time which is "ship time"?

Would the army equivalency be "posted to a field unit"?

It strikes me as one more suggestion for an award that can easily divide members between "those who earned it" and "those who didn't" but always leave that large grey zone filled by those who would have earned it by their own choosing but were prevented by circumstances outside their control.  The proposal presumes that all are posted to the types of positions they want at all times and also that only those "pointy end" jobs are important.  It also undermines the importance of posting the best people to schools so that each trade can benefit from their experience and knowledge - as soon as someone avoids such a posting to protect their next "pointy end" award, we've lost a very important component of the whole system.

+1, Mr. O'Leary.
I have to add that I think it's ridiculous that MSE Ops get safe driving pins.  Do pilots get safe flying pins?  Do medics get "I never killed a patient" pins?  Where does it stop?  IT'S YOUR JOB!
Recognition for a job well done is all good and fine (certificate, whatever), but there's no requirement to display it on your uniform.

Trust me, people enjoy there shore postings over a pin.

Just thought it might be a motivation tool and instill some personal pride. Should people wear safe driving pins? Ranger insignia..other Country jump wings, my personal opinion is no. But its done and its a source of personal pride for the member. Maybe thats my angle..

Sure there will be gray zones!

Course qualifications are one thing, but you're looking for recognition for doing your job.  I certainly don't need a pin to instill some personal pride.  I get that every time I put on my uniform.  Combats or DEU.

What about trades that can't get posted to ship?  What do they get?

Nothing!

in the Navy we have a problem its called retention.

Recognition for sea time could easily be done with certificates, but not with a pin on the uniform, I think that's a bit much.  It is my opinion that the fact sea pay jumps with certain milestones is more than enough recognition for me (not that it matters as I am posted LRP, but it works the same for aircrew too).

Besides I think the regular force would get offended at all the sea time full time naval reserve members rack up, those guys are a busy bunch.  No need for the Naval reservist to be showing up the reg force members with all their bling...

If someone has become sufficiently dissatisfied with the Navy (or the CF) that they've decided to leave, I'm not sure telling them that they'll get a lapel pin in another couple of years will encourage them to change their mind.  If retention is a serious issue, then it's time to look at the cultural or organizational issues that are leading to people getting out in droves.

good point on the Reserves!

would like to hear some ways of keeping sailors. We are certainly paid & fed well.

I am going to bed, I have to sail tomorrow..insert bonamine..and wait for the last minute landing forms to roll in

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Besides I think the regular force would get offended at all the sea time full time naval reserve members rack up, those guys are a busy bunch.  No need for the Naval reservist to be showing up the reg force members with all their bling...
As a MARS shad, I've always found it ironic that if I were to wear a SWASM it would have to be for deploying with the army and working out of trade on the ground in Afghanistan. God knows I can't be trusted to sail operationally and actually put my rather expensive training to work on a frigate for a six month deployment. I know my bridge watchkeeping certificate is only for minor warships, but you can't tell me that someone who already has a BWK wouldn't earn it on a different platform in a month or so of standing one-in-three on the trip over to the gulf; that seems to be the trend amongst my colleagues who have transferred to the reg force in any event.

PMedMoe said:
I think that's a problem in all elements.
Yeah, but for sheer relentless unpleasantness it's tough to top bouncing around on a ship on the Grand Banks for a few months. As someone who's just returned from Sudan, I can say that even when the conditions were most austere there they were still not quite as miserable as time spent on ship, though that may just reflect personal preference. Being in the field is no tea party, but doing 180+ days at sea for five years straight is a hell of a way to make a living. That being said, I can't say that I agree on a medal based on sea time alone.

I am realizing everyone in the commonwealth is having problems keeping there people happy.  The RN lower Decker's are all grumbling the Aussies have no people and we are hurting.  When I did a crosspole with the US though in 2005 they were saying they had a hard time staying in the navy.  The US wanted them to transfer to something green. 

As far as keeping us. 

I think Solid course recignition not giving us all but 2 or 3 courses.  If I give the CF 20 or god help me 35 years I don't want to be a commissionar.  Professional development should be encouraged more (problem is people abuse it).  MOG5's CO seems very keen and accommodating for that.  With the RN MarEng people train to be full engineers and the lower Decker's do some of the same courses our MSEO's come over here for.

Everyone praises our pension but they toned that down with 25 years thing.  I'm starting to wonder if it is as competitive as it was.  Enviro Allowances and Specialty pays like Diver and Subs should be included in it.   

Retention Pay...the RN is looking at as much as £50000 (not dollars) to remain in the navy and in Subs. 

People felt allot of pride being a member of the Airborn and the Sub Squadron they were Elite and it was taken from them.  I think members of our JTF must feel a certain amount of pride being apart of an operationally elite unit.  More units should be recognized for there unique training and operational hardships. 

This is just my thoughts. 

PMedMoe said:
I think that's a problem in all elements.

hamiltongs said:
Yeah, but for sheer relentless unpleasantness it's tough to top bouncing around on a ship on the Grand Banks for a few months. As someone who's just returned from Sudan, I can say that even when the conditions were most austere there they were still not quite as miserable as time spent on ship, though that may just reflect personal preference. Being in the field is no tea party, but doing 180+ days at sea for five years straight is a hell of a way to make a living. That being said, I can't say that I agree on a medal based on sea time alone.

I agree but I still don't think a pin on the uniform is going to help that.

PMedMoe said:
I agree but I still don't think a pin on the uniform is going to help that.

I can see it now: member gets pin, forgets to put pin on uniform one day, gets picked up by the Coxn for being out of dress, gets extra duty watches as punishment...now THAT would be a morale booster!  ::)

airmich said:
I can see it now: member gets pin, forgets to put pin on uniform one day, gets picked up by the Coxn for being out of dress, gets extra duty watches as punishment...now THAT would be a morale booster!  ::)

Haha, sure can tell what coast you sailed on Mich.  That sums up BC for me.

Back